"Real Housewives of D.C.'s" Catherine Ommanney and husband Charles split, even before show airs.

Catherine Ommanney (front right) with her likely "Real Housewives" co-stars Mary Amons (left) and Michaele Salahi at the opening of the Ted Gibson/Hela salon last year. (Photo by Jaime Windon)

Even before the series airs, one of "The Real Housewives of D.C." is on her way to becoming an ex-wife.

Catherine Ashley Ommanney, one of five local women that a TV crew tracked for several months over the past year, is expected to be announced soon as a cast member of the hit Bravo franchise's upcoming Beltway edition. And we've learned that she and her husband, veteran Newsweek photographer Charles Ommanney, have recently separated.

"There's no question that having a television crew in their home all those months was a huge strain," a friend of the couple told us.

Reality TV can be hard on relationships -- both LuAnn de Lesseps of "The Real Housewives of New York City" and Tamra Barney of the original "Real Housewives of Orange County" split with their husbands after the show catapulted them to fame.

When reality TV entered her life, Ommanney was both extremely new to her marriage and extremely new to Washington. Few in D.C. cocktail culture had heard of the blond, British mother of two when her name surfaced in connection with the show's taping last year. And it was only in the summer of 2008 that she wed the prizewinning photojournalist, after a brief courtship in England, and followed him to the States.

Sources close to the production have described Ommanney as well-liked by the rest of the cast, and by most indications she hasn't provided as much drama as, say, her White House-dinner-crashing co-star Michaele Salahi. (Bravo hasn't officialy unveiled the cast, but other presumed stars include McLean socialite and mom Mary Amons, D.C. real estate agent Stacie Turner and modeling agency owner Lynda Erkiletian.)

Yet, as we reported last month, Ommanney does have a flair for the sensational: In 2006, when she was known as Catherine Davies, Ommanney blabbed to a British tabloid about her brief make-out session with much-younger Prince Harry. And friends say she has a dishy memoir in the works.

By The Reliable Source  |  June 8, 2010; 1:05 AM ET
Categories:  Real Housewives of D.C.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Denmark's Crown Prince and NBA star bond over bikes
Next: Know your Cousteaus: Diving deep into the family pool

Comments

Yawn.

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | June 7, 2010 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Another proud day for journalism and the Washington Post. Which reminds me of a joke:

Q: What did the newspaper publisher say when he won the lottery?

A: I'm going to keep working until it is all gone.

Posted by: privacy1 | June 8, 2010 2:55 AM | Report abuse

I live in Washington, DC - Ward 6. Surely, we have some housewives who live in Washington, DC. Truth in advertising -" The Real Housewives of DC, Virginia and any other state. Why do we allow these "girls" to use Washington DC if they do not live in Washington DC? We do have some real blonds here. I just do not get it!

Posted by: judithclaire1939 | June 8, 2010 8:04 AM | Report abuse

This whole Bravo series should be called "Skanks of....(fill in the city)-

The latest edition-DC-shows mindless, egotistical vapoids, who are famous because they say they are famous and then only because they are on a tv show sponsored by dogfood.

Give me your party crashers, Eurotrtash cougars and other ilk yearning to be noticed and we will show a perfect way to waste 1 hour of your life and rot your brain at the same time.

Let's just hope these housewives are so busy scamming and grifting, they don't have time to reproduce and inflict further harm on future generations.

Bravo wins the award for trash tv.

Posted by: bob-kerlin | June 8, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

@waterfront, @privacy, @bob:

And look where YOU clicked first. There are plenty of other links for those who have no use for a gossip column. Bob, you in particular seem to know way too much about these shows.

Posted by: kbockl | June 8, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Bravo's Housewives series is junk TV. Does anyone really think the wives shown truely represent the cities in the titles? I have to admit I'm a fan of Housewives of Atlanta. It's like watching a soap opera.

Posted by: Jimof1913 | June 8, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

I AM FROM NEW JERSEY AND I DON`T CARE.

Posted by: SISSD1 | June 8, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

somebody really cares about the lives of these shallow, narcisstic people ???

unfortunately, I guess so. ..

Great job, Washington Post, keep up with this top-notch journalism.

Posted by: joelcavicchia | June 8, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

it is fun watching these wannabe losers lose their homes, cars, etc.

Posted by: djrhood | June 8, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

The Salahis should be in jail. How boring and stressful it would be to follow a typical day in their real lives.

11:00 AM - jump out of bed, peer between closed blinds to check for process servers, former friends, law enforcement

11:10 - light candle to carry through detritus in house

11:15 - dig through ashtray looking for butts

11:20 - check blinds again

11:25 - darn, I wish I could make coffee

11:30 - Call power company with news of check in mail

11:45 - awake skank

etc.

etc.
etc.

11:15 -

Posted by: SoCali | June 8, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I'm not annoyed at the gossip, I'm just annoyed that barely any of these trashy people are from DC! This would be like casting Real Housewives of NJ with people from Delaware.

Posted by: dkp01 | June 8, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Agh yes. Someone alway's has to talk about the Salahi's. I guess who cares who the others are ? The Salahi's are a jealous obsession for "so cali" the same blogger. You are scary obsessed with them.
Hating on others only comes back to you.

Posted by: lisag1 | June 8, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

I am sorry I really don't ever see this show being aired. With the drama associated with Salahi's NADA. The Salahi's with their White House stunt have just messed it up for the show period. And lookinig at the cast of characters (who the heck are they?) this show it appears it would be boring as heck. I know BRAVO is not that desperate to show this crap especially with their other shows hitting the top of the charts.

Thinking if Bravo wants the "Real Housewives of DC" please find some people that DC Residents can identify with not unknown people that are desperate for either attention or money. JMO

Posted by: msruby36 | June 8, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

ROFLMAO@ SoCali...that's a good summary!

Now to fill in the etceteras;

At some point during the day, two of them meet at a fancy restaurant, greet each with an airkiss, toss back drinks and pick over a plate of expensive food while trashing another housewife. In the next episode, rotate the wives and repeat scene.

Yes, I've watched. It's comedy, but actually kind of sad if people really spend their days mistreating friends and believing that it's something to envy.

Posted by: logosdesigns | June 8, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

To the people insulting WaPo's journalism, please be mindful of where you are on the site. This is the gossip blog. It's full of celebrity news and gossip. There are plenty of hard-hitting journalistic pieces elsewhere on this web site. Don't you have anything better to do than post unhelpful comments on a free Web site that you are not required to read?

Posted by: sunny617 | June 8, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

You know what would be nice on "The Real Housewives of DC"? To actually have housewives from Washington DC and not Northern Virginia. This one broad lives 50 miles from DC

Posted by: dbeins | June 8, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

whats up with the polo match this weekend and the flyover (the mall). Oh my, I really want to know how many lies these two will tell.

Posted by: at0165 | June 8, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

@kbockl and @sunny617

I clicked the headline near the top of the home page of the website because I was hoping to see something about prosecution.

I just will be reminded that the WPost pays someone for this column the next time I hear whining and see hand-wringing about declining revenues and lost readership.

Posted by: privacy1 | June 9, 2010 7:53 AM | Report abuse

A brilliant summary, SoCali. Just an average day in the life of two has-beens who never were.

Posted by: ehsmith1 | June 9, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

SoCali - that was pretty funny.

I love it when the Salahi's or any of their "friends" come by to call us all jealous haters - it's like being back in junior high. Of course Michelle never went to college so I guess that's about the maturity level we're dealing with. Curious as to what we could possibly be jealous of. At the risk of sounding obnoxious, but personally (and I assume most of the Hater's have similar circumstances) (1) I have a Master's degree and well-paying job (2) paid for my Audi A6 with cash (no repo man worries here) (3) instead of squandering my (or my parent's) money away on trying to be a socialite, I was responsible enough to diligently pay down the principal on my Capitol Hill rowhouse that I purchased in 1999 when I was only 28 years old. I parlayed the equity into a fabulous new house on the Hill, having enough left over to invest a substantial amount (4) most importantly I've never filed for bankruptcy and there are no outstanding or pending legal judgements against me. Also, I am not the subject of two federal and one state investigation for fraud.

I guess I'm a jealous hater because I don't have a reality show? I've never tried to get on one. From my observation it seems to entail being followed around by cameras all day and making a fool of yourself on national TV. Not my cup of tea per se...judging who they ended up with for the Housewives of DC apparently it wasn't for any of the actual "socialites" in town either. Oh I forgot, none of them are actually from DC.

Posted by: jennifers1 | June 10, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

SICK OF ANYONE IN A 100 MILES SAYING THEY LIVE IN DC,COME PAY TAXES,BUY OR RENT A HOME AND THEN WE WILL TALK!!!BRAVO DONT BLKAME US FOR VA TRASH!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: washingtonguy | June 16, 2010 12:31 AM | Report abuse