This just in...: George Clooney joins Council on Foreign Relations

George Clooney June 5, 2010 in Culver City, California. (Gregg DeGuire/AP)

Meet the newest member of the Council on Foreign Relations: George Clooney. The Oscar winner has been granted life membership in the prestigious think tank -- Charlie Rose and NYT columnist Nick Kristof nominated him. CFR's vice president Lisa Shields cited the actor's advocacy on the Darfur crisis and the "importance of non-traditional voices" in foreign policy. (Michael Douglas and Warren Beatty are also life members; Angelina Jolie scored a term memberships set aside for junior wonks in 2007.) In a statement via CFR, Clooney said, "I'm honored to have been nominated... And I hear the initiation ritual is wild."

By The Reliable Source  |  June 15, 2010; 5:10 PM ET
Categories:  This Just In...
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Madeleine Albright's pin collection comes to Smithsonian
Next: Quoted: Miley Cyrus, totally not trying to look slutty

Comments

I think this is a brilliant idea. Maybe he could get Brad Pitt and Matt Damon to join him. They could finish each others sentences and slide through improbable plot lines en route to handing Mahmoud Ahmadinejad a crippling defeat. Probably in about 2 hours too.

Posted by: BurgundyNGold | June 15, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

LOL. Is this a joke? Flying around the world drinking mimosas with the world elite gives you exactly WHAT type of perspective on the world? Good grief this guy is already a gas bag.

Posted by: zap123 | June 15, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Wish I'd known the CFR was hiring a jester. I would have applied for the job myself.

Posted by: Bugs3 | June 15, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

This is no joke. I heard Snooki and Paris Hilton will soon join Clooney at CFR.

Posted by: Mickey2 | June 15, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

AHEM, Star alleges that Laurie David and Al Gore had an affair. I guess you only publish nasty allegations from Levi Johnston about Sarah Palin, right? Rumors about Republicans only, please!

Posted by: WashingtonDame | June 15, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

So these libs get together and smoke weed, that pretty much sums it up!

Posted by: cschotta1 | June 15, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

If President Obama can score a Nobel Prize for 'right thinking' then why can't CFR reward George Clooney for similar activities???

Posted by: deemery | June 15, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

What -- they couldn't get Lady Gaga?

Posted by: postfan1 | June 15, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Give it a rest. George Clooney may be an actor, but so was Ronald Reagan. My guess is that Clooney has traveled far more widely, done more humanitarian work, met more world leaders, and knows far more about Haiti and the Darfur conflict than any of you sneering wingnuts.

Posted by: pjkiger1 | June 15, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm so very disappointed. I had become a fan of George Clooney after he became involved in Darfur. I was there in 2002, and so the atrocities became more personal to me, since I met people of the Masalit and Zaghawa groups, among others. Now I realize the whole Darfur thing for George Clooney must have been simply for show. Even those with a cursory knowledge of what the CFR is really about know that the last thing that they are concerned about is relieving the suffering of oppressed people.

Posted by: latresa17 | June 15, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

LOL

Posted by: PennyWisetheClown | June 15, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

hehe

Posted by: horace1 | June 15, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Why do "movie stars" think they can think? They make their living speaking other people's lines. This is such a joke.

Posted by: georges2 | June 15, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Did he even graduate from high school? Good grief.

Posted by: RB1019 | June 16, 2010 7:26 AM | Report abuse

Good lord, there goes the neighborhood, what a joke.....Quite impressive to see DC still gets as hot & bothered over mediocre matinee idols as your average pre-teen "Tiger Beat" reader.....Just so long as they share their "martini marxist" dogma!

Posted by: wma98 | June 16, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

I KNEW there was a policy wonk hidden in that handsome bastard! I am the happiest of hippie liberal elitists.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | June 16, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

It is possible that George Clooney is already well informed and aware of what the CFR actually are.....and it's possible he also realizes that with or without his membership they will do what they plan, so maybe he just thinks "if ya can't beat 'em join 'em" and maybe he will pat them all on the back and let them think he's an avid fan whilst unbeknown to them he is planning on using them as much as they use him to promote their evil plans of communist NWO regime.
Maybe George will be like Robin Hood, stealing money from the CFR to give to the poor!
I think George is a good guy and I doubt he could think up an excuse good enough to resist their offer. I think that members of the CFR will most certainly invite him into the Skull & Bones/Bilderburg set but maybe he will just be a spectator and he'll write a book to expose them all when he's an old man......lets hope so.

Posted by: JillAngie | June 18, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse