Clintons celebrate wedding of Huma Abedin and Anthony Weiner

Huma Abedin (Reuters/Steve MarcusRep) and fiancee Anthony Weiner (AP Photo/Charles Dharapak).

Wedding season for Bill and Hillary Clinton! Daughter Chelsea is walking down the aisle later this summer, but first up: a celebration of the upcoming marriage of Rep. Anthony Weiner and Huma Abedin, Hillary's longtime personal aide.

The Clintons hosted a garden party Wednesday night at their Embassy Row home with more than 300 people, a sumptuous buffet of Mideastern food and a sign with the couple's wedding date, "7-10-10," near the pool.

"I have one daughter," said the former president, pulling Chelsea into a hug. "But if I had a second daughter, it would Huma."

The striking brunette, 34, has been working as Hillary's right hand since 1996, and at her side through the Senate and presidential campaigns and move to the State Department last year. Abedin quietly started dating Weiner, 45, two years ago, and they announced their engagement last summer.

It was "love at first sight" for Weiner, Hillary told the crowd Wednesday. The Clintons encouraged the match between the Muslim beauty who grew up in Saudi Arabia and the Jewish Democrat from New York City. The couple represents, Bill said in his toast, what he wants "the future of the world to be."

The party was filled with family, Clinton friends (Terry McAuliffe, Melanne Verveer, Bob Barnett), and plenty of pols including most of the New York delegation. Guests lingered late into the night, then the secretary of state left Thursday for a visit to Europe -- the first State Department trip without Abedin, who stayed behind to finalize plans for the wedding.

Speaking of which -- still no details about Chelsea's nups to investment banker Marc Mezvinsky. Everyone who got a save-the-date card (July 31 is what one looped-in source told us and what continues to pop up in media reports as the likely day) isn't talking. And yeah, ours must have got lost in the mail, too.

By The Reliable Source  |  July 1, 2010; 8:15 PM ET
Categories:  Chelsea Clinton wedding
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Stacie Turner, soon-to-be "Real Housewives of D.C." star, launches charity to help girls in foster care
Next: Hey, isn't that...?: Tom Colicchio, Elena Kagan,

Comments

Nobody cares.

Posted by: MACCHAMPS04 | July 2, 2010 1:35 AM | Report abuse

two horses. I'm sure they'll have gorgeous kids.

I can't believe the post is reporting about this. glad i cancelled my subscription.

Posted by: FiatBooks | July 2, 2010 5:39 AM | Report abuse

In what parallel universe is Huma "striking?"

Oh, that's right--in a town that's referred to as "Hollywood for ugly people."

(Not that she's ugly, but even "cute" would be a bit of a stretch, no?)

Posted by: alc0f7 | July 2, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

So who cares less about their cultural religious inheritance, the bride or the groom?

Will they discuss both Islam and Judaism with the kids, and let them decide?

And if Bill Clinton is right and this is the future, then our future is either a homogenized feel good variety of kumbaya, offering really nothing to kids but Pepsi, or an increased divorce rate.

Posted by: captn_ahab | July 2, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

She's 34, and has been Hillary's right hand since 1996? When she was 20? I'm not sure as a White House intern she was a trusted confidante. It's not inaccurate, necessarily, it's just lazy.

Posted by: flyovercountry | July 2, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Congratulations the the happy couple! I wish you all the best. It looks like you are going to need it if the comments on this page are any indication.

Posted by: Faith351966 | July 2, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

I, for one, think the bride to be is a beautiful young woman. I pray that their life is void of the disgusting hate, cynicism, and narrow-mindedness espoused by some of those posting here.

Posted by: SW-Waterfront | July 2, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Congratulations to the soon to be newly weds. I pray that you will always find a reason to renew your flaming commitment and loyalty to each other.

I didn't know of Rep. Weiner before the summer of 2009. My personal opinion is that he is a passionate and caring person.

May the both of you celebrate each day of your married life with commitment and trust.

Posted by: sun52shine | July 2, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

So they had a 300-guest pre-wedding party before the real wedding 1.5 weeks later??? Sounds like 2 wedding receptions to me. Maybe it's a Middle Eastern custom I don't know about.

Posted by: forgetthis | July 2, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Congratulations to Huma Abedin and Anthony Weiner.

I am proud that in our great Country this couple with different ethnic and religious backgrounds can join in matrimony without undue concern about what others might think. In fact, in their chosen professions, their differences may well be an advantage.

I am a white native American Alabama-born atheist. I was raised as a Southern Baptist.

My Cuban-born Spanish wife of 14 years is a Christian and a naturalized American. Prior to moving to Miami, she spent her high school and college years in Puerto Rico and then spent six years in Switzerland.

We feel our differences enrich our lives and the lives of those around us. May this be the case for Huma Abedin and Anthony Weiner.
~ richard allbritton, Miami, http://rallbritton.com