Your Questions Answered: The Rhee-Johnson wedding postponement
On Tuesday, Michelle Rhee and Kevin Johnson abruptly announced that were turning their big Sept. 4 wedding in Sacramento into a small family ceremony on an undisclosed date and at an undisclosed location.
- Did they give any reason? In an e-mail to guests, Johnson said, "We under-estimated the intensity of interest ... As a result, the wedding as planned for September 4th ended up not being what we wanted." Rhee told TBD Wednesday: "It was becoming a little bit of a production. We want our wedding to be something that's personal and fun and romantic and something that we really enjoy instead of something that's driving us crazy."
- They finally figured this out two weeks before the wedding? Hey, they're busy people with a lot on their plates.
- Any other possible issues? Two: Rhee's tenure has become a lightning rod in D.C.'s Sept. 14 tight primary race between Mayor Adrian Fenty and D.C. Council Chairman Vincent Gray. And Mayor Johnson got a lot of grief for having the wedding dinner and dance at the mansion of Sacramento developer Angelo Tsakopoulos, a longtime friend who has close ties to City Hall. "He asked to use our tennis court for his reception," Tsakopoulos told us Wednesday. "It's not a big deal. That's what friends do for one another."
- How many people were invited to the original wedding? About 200 friends received the elegant invitations this month, although it's unclear how many people were coming from the District.
- If I got uninvited, do I still have to send a wedding gift? You could send your non-refundable airline ticket to Sacramento. Or, if you're feeling generous, the couple is registered at Macy's and Michael C. Fina. (Five-piece place setting of Haviland Clair De Lune china: $375.)
- Is this wedding really going to happen? Yes, said Rhee: "We're happy and in love."
The Reliable Source
August 26, 2010; 1:05 AM ET
Categories: Your Questions Answered
Save & Share: Previous: This just in...: Linsday Lohan set loose from rehab; Obama hits the town, finally; Ken Mehlman comes out of the closet
Next: Surreal estate: Obama's Hawaiian pad sells for $6.9 million
Posted by: 54465446 | August 25, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: TurdFergusonJeopardy | August 25, 2010 11:25 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Blurgle | August 26, 2010 4:55 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: 54465446 | August 26, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: SoCali | August 26, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: LittleRed1 | August 26, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: tman2 | August 26, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse