Rookie author Katherine Schwarzenegger steps into the spotlight

Katherine Schwarzenegger and her cousin Rosie Shriver at Sunday's book party for Schwarzenegger's "Rock What You've Got." (Katherine Frey/The Washington Post)

Katherine Schwarzenegger (left) with family, 2003. (AP/Rich Pedroncelli)

Here they come: the next generation of Kennedys-Shrivers-Schwarzeneggers!

There are about 90 or so rich, well-connected members of the extended Kennedy family poised to assume their place in the storied American dynasty. First up: Katherine Schwarzenegger, the oldest daughter of Arnold Schwarzenegger and Maria Shriver and author of "Rock What You've Got," a guide for tween and teenage girls.

About 150 friends and family flocked to the Bethesda home of Mark and Jeanne Shriver (her uncle and aunt) Sunday afternoon to celebrate the first-time author.

"I had an idea for a book and a passion about body image," Schwarzenegger, 20, told us. "I submitted a proposal, just like every other person does, to several different publishers. I went down the exact same path that everyone who wants to write a book did. I didn't get any special treatment with any of this."

But yes, she admits, Schwarzenegger is a pretty unusual name.

Anyway, she wanted to write a book for teenagers struggling with changing body image and self-esteem because, she swears, it wasn't easy for her. "I felt really self-conscious because all of a sudden I was getting hips and butt and boobs. . . . I didn't really feel great about myself, but I was able to talk to my mom about everything." Her famous parents shielded all their kids from the public eye as much as possible, so that didn't add to the anxiety. It's there for everyone, she said: "Every young girl who looks at a magazine feels the pressure to be thin, look perfect all the time, only feel beautiful if they're a size 0 or 2."

We should note that Schwarzenegger is 5-foot-8, size 6 and gorgeous -- which is why the junior at USC is majoring in communications and thinking about a TV career like her mother. Or maybe another book. "I'm really open to anything."

By The Reliable Source  | September 20, 2010; 1:04 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Love, etc.: Jack Evans gets married; a civil union for Kelly McGillis and longtime girlfriend
Next: Read this: Gala nightmare, Drew Storen, Hollywood scribe

Comments

Okay, I get it. Healthy body image is important. But, puh-lease. Why do the beautiful people feel they have a lock on these issues? Why don't we see books on healthy body image from folks like Catherine Mannheim or Mo'nique? I'd rather read them--they'd have more to say.

Posted by: mdtay11 | September 20, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps she had body image issues because of her parents and not magazines. A mother who is a stick and looks sick and a father who is "pumped" up on steriods and looks like his face has been pulled too tight.

Posted by: rlj611 | September 20, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Want to rant about something..pass this on..> google >> taxes we pay << no ask your/our CAREER politicians WHY...

Posted by: rw62827 | September 20, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

This is the opposite of a democratic nation. Here we have the latest Kennedys presented to the public as if they had something to offer other than their bodies. So what if they are adults now. They need to earn and perform prior to receiving the spotlight because of their names--we don't have royalty in this country. Kennedys have not always helped this country.

Posted by: drzimmern1 | September 20, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

If her name was Katherine Smith would there be this much hoopla over her book? Probably not.

Posted by: Baltimore11 | September 20, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

first Megan McCain and now this wannabe. Go way! Nobody cares.

Posted by: djrhood | September 20, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Actually Baltimore11- yes she probably would because there is a Kennedy branch of Smiths- Jean Kennedy Smith was one of the sisters. :)

Posted by: RNNP | September 20, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

" there is a Kennedy branch of Smiths- Jean Kennedy Smith was one of the sisters"

Yes, I remember a Smith with Kennedy relation made the news a few years ago.

Posted by: edbyronadams | September 20, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

P L E A S E no more KENNEDY'S !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: votingrevolution1 | September 20, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Please drive a stake through the Kennedy name before the torch gets passed to a new...

oh, (gag)

Posted by: jhtlag1 | September 20, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

She's not a Kennedy. She's a Schwarzenegger. Her mother isn't a Kennedy. She's a Shriver. Are we that desperate for a 1000 day Presidency almost half a century ago that we're drumming up news about his great-niece. Jeez!

Posted by: huguenotklj | September 20, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I'm impressed by what Eunice and Sargent Shriver accomplished (disability rights and fighting poverty and supporting civil rights, respectively), and I have no beef with Maria or Arnold. But I am a bit tired of wealthy women telling women how to look good. Most people can't afford the dental work, skin treatments, great clothes, and hair care that the wealthy use to appear effortlessly beautiful.

Posted by: outragex | September 20, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I like to write too, but I don't think anyone will be publishing a book I write that easily, no matter how good it is. If she thinks her name did not get this book published, she needs some real life lessons.

Posted by: tkarraker | September 20, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

You write: "We should note that Schwarzenegger is 5-foot-8, size 6 and gorgeous..." Why should you note that, especially in a piece about a book about cultivating positive body image for tween and teen girls? It's exactly the opposite of the goal of her work. I should note: You are part of the problem.

Posted by: gwenrr | September 20, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I too am sick and tired of famous offsprng who say "I went thru the same channels as everyone else to....(fill in the blank)....get that part in a movie, get a book published, get into college) etc." Don't even waste your breath telling me your name had nothing to do with getting your book published.

Posted by: jersey407 | September 20, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

She looks like Bristol Palin.

Posted by: Meepo | September 20, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Great another generation of Kennedy brats for the liberal media to fawn over.

Posted by: cleancut77 | September 20, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

what jersey407 said ...

Posted by: devilsadvocate2 | September 20, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Meepo
"She looks like Bristol Palin."

Hummm ... she doesn't look pregnant.

Posted by: knjincvc | September 20, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

"I submitted a proposal, just like every other person does ... I didn't get any special treatment with any of this."

Who's kidding who here?