Ovechkin: Moscow girls make me sing and shout

Alex Ovechkin models the winter classic uniform at the 2010 Capitals Convention on October 02. (Mark Gail/The Washington Post)

Washington loves Alex Ovechkin. But does Ovechkin love us back?

"D.C. is a quiet, calm family town," the Capitals superstar opines in the November issue of GQ. Which is why the 25-year-old multimillionaire headed to Russia in the offseason -- where he's one of the country's most eligible bachelors. "If you compare Russia and America," he told the magazine, "they are two different worlds. People, cars, clothes. Girls' figures. Especially girls' figures. Why do you think that is, that when an American goes to Russia for a week, he stays for two extra weeks? Girls! And when a Russian goes to America for a week, he leaves in five days."

Okay, then. Ovie said there's no serious girlfriend at the moment, just a "very good" friend. And lots of "high quality" action at the best nightclubs in the country. "In Moscow, if you have money, you're king," he explained. "If you don't, sorry, man, get lost. I mean, it's like this everywhere. But in Moscow, it's much more hard-core."

By The Reliable Source  | October 25, 2010; 1:03 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Love, etc.: CĂ©line Dion gives birth to twins; Russell Brand and Katy Perry marry in India
Next: Should Supreme Court justices attend the State of the Union address? No thanks, says Alito, if he has to sit there "like the proverbial potted plant."

Comments

Thanks for your incredibly insightful opinions, Ovie. Now we know that American businessmen stay in Russia longer to cavort with Russian whores. Also this just in: water is wet. More at 11:00 courtesy of genius, Ovie!

Posted by: Brian4200 | October 25, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Real class act....

Posted by: FH59312 | October 25, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Probably a good idea to withhold judgment until I read the article. The excerpts are disturbing, though. What burns me the most is the ammo the article will give to the "Crosby is a saint/Ovechkin is a thug" debate. Ovi's handlers should have been paying more attention. I was unaware that Ovi has only the equivalent of an eight-grade education. This in no way means that he is unintelligent but a 25 year old with that level of education needs to have people in his corner looking out for him. How far did Semin go in school? His reticence with the press is looking awfully ... smart.

Posted by: pirate1 | October 25, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Ovi has a college degree, so I'm not sure where you're coming from Pirate.

And I would take the GQ article with a grain of salt.

Posted by: dfe1 | October 25, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, this is not atypical in Russia. Their gender dynamics are much different.

That and if you're a pro- or olympic-calibre athlete, school means nothing for you. your time is better spent training or playing. that's just how it works over there.

Posted by: j762 | October 25, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: j762 | October 25, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

um, I guess we shouldnt take things out of context, but I dont have the desire to read the rest of this crap. But I have been to Russia, and, umm, aside from hooker shoes and pancake makeup, I didn't see a lot of girls there skinnier or prettier than the girls here. Some of the Russian girls were still a bit chubby and rocked the 80's hair.. but hey to each her own..some American girls rock the hooker shoes.. BUT I have to say I'm a bit disappointed to read this even if it is what he thinks. Somebody needs to point out their fans are females too and a lot of us are sick of this type of commentary. Just state you prefer the Russian look and leave it at that. I think we all know that look is different from the American more natural look.

Now, if he had said Swedish girls are better looking, I would have to give him that one.. I felt like an ugly troll there when usually I feel pretty enough to well, get a least a second look (even from some Russian men ..)

Jerk comments if they are true.. I think a bit less of him and Varly now. Thank goodness Semin has always been my favorite.

Posted by: kmr2r | October 25, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

True, Russian girls are usually better than girls in DC. Eastern Europe... jeez. Now, I believe Central Asia also has an unique atmosphere where girls grow up to be lovely.

Sigh... DC... you girls

Posted by: skkyskky | October 26, 2010 3:02 AM | Report abuse

i worked with a chick who is from russia and has been living here for over 10 years. she has hung out with ovechkin and semin and the lot around dc because apparently every eastern european in the metro area seems to know eachother somehow. she told me over two years ago how much ovechkin and semin hate america simply because of the women. they love the super skinny borderline anorexic model types that russia has to offer by the bucket full.

she also confirmed what everyone already knows which is that semin can speak english just fine, he chooses not to just to f with the american media which he could care less about.

Posted by: goose33 | October 26, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse