Who's that guy on the Jumbotron? Nats' "in-game host" Clint Khoury wraps up another season.

Clint Khoury -- yeah, THAT guy! (Courtesy of the Washington Nationals)

Going out on a limb here, because the Washington Nationals execs won't tell us, but we suspect that Clint, the guy on the Jumbotron, earns a lot less than Ryan Zimmerman.

Which seems unfair. Talented as the $45 million slugger may be, would you recognize him if you passed him on the street? Maybe, maybe not. But if you've attended even one home game in recent years, you'd probably know Clint (if not his last name). Square jaw, booming voice, Ryan Seacrest-perfect hair: Clint Khoury gets more big-screen time than anyone on the roster, as he flings T-shirts into the stands, interviews fans and . . . well, you tell us exactly what you are.

"The standing line is, it's 'the in-game host,' " Khoury said Thursday, but he seemed okay with our name for it. "We should change it to 'the Jumbotron guy.' "

Khoury wrapped up his fourth season with the Nats after the last home game Wednesday. An Ohio native who moved here five years ago, Khoury, 27, tried out for the gig in early '07 after being tipped off by a pal who knew he wanted to break into broadcasting. They had him play some goofy games, do an impromptu commercial and apparently he had what it takes. "The right blend," he said, "of funny and annoying."

Things you might have wondered: No, being Clint is not a full-time job. Khoury spends his days doing tech design for an architecture firm. No, his throwing arm had nothing to do with getting the job, though many fans (and even Manager Jim Riggleman) have complimented his ability to loft T-shirts to the upper decks. No, the job doesn't help him pick up chicks: Khoury and his girlfriend, whom he met in his early months working for the Nats, just moved in together in Rosslyn.

Of course, some fans just loathe him. Khoury doesn't take it personally. "I think some of the angst about the in-game host character that is Clint stems from the fact that baseball is a very traditional game. . . . There are fans that don't need the games and the giveaways, but there are fans who really enjoy that. . . . Clearly, the game, the athletics are the most important part, and we wouldn't want to do anything that takes away from that. I see this as an accent to the main course."

Speaking of . . . Will they ever let Teddy Roosevelt win? "You've seen that gut," Khoury sighed. "He has to put in the work in the offseason to make that happen."

By The Reliable Source  | October 1, 2010; 1:05 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Joe Miller caught putting the tweets before the votes
Next: "I want to see that invitation": D.C. 'Housewives' recap and fact-check (#8, Sept. 30)

Comments

Clint does a good job. I've been on the jumbotron twice and gotten to speak with him. He knows a lot about baseball and loves the game.

Posted by: logan9 | October 1, 2010 8:04 AM | Report abuse

I'll back up anything you say about him being a great guy. Being one of the fans who has gone to games all season long, I've said hi, been in one of the games, and I feel like he's another one of my "at the ballpark" friends. A really great guy, and I don't think the people behind the backlash have ever actually spoken to him.

Posted by: darastar | October 1, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

The angst about the in-game host character that is Clint is because he is not funny, annoying and banal.

Posted by: motogp46 | October 1, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Let Teddy win! Let Teddy win! Let Teddy win!

Posted by: clodilla | October 1, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

From everything I hear he is a great person. From everything I have seen he is annoying, not fun and like some horrible mix of Ryan Secrest and an Abercrombie model gone wrong.

Posted by: Natstural | October 1, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Don't you know it was Arabs that took down the World Trade Center and the Pentagon? It is a TRAVESTY that an Arab like Clint Khoury (yes, Khoury is an Arabic last name)is allowed such a high profile gig so close to Pentagon ground zero! Fine if he wants to work, just don't do it in Washington!!

Now, if I really had lost a relative at the Pentagon, would this have been a rational request?

Posted by: xandersun | October 1, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I'm glad Clint is a great guy. But his presence really detracts from the in-game experience. It's a gimmick and if the team we're actually winning, we wouldn't have someone like Clint there. Clint should really stick to his day job.

Posted by: AlbertoHurtado | October 1, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Clint and the Nat Pack are annoying..real major league teams do not have "minor league" activities like this going on between innings!

Posted by: markfd | October 1, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

he makes the most out of something most of us could not pull off stone cold drunk...

and, he did a Jumbotron bit with my young son and his pal. they are big Clint fans. Good enough for me.

Posted by: TheDubb | October 1, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Yep, my girlfriend thought he was a taller version of Ryan Secrest.

Good luck to him!

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | October 2, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Glad to see the profile. Clint Khoury takes a lot of grief from the hard-core baseball fans I know; but he is very good at what he does, and an asset to the team.

I love the game of baseball, and I love the Nationals, but if we tried to fill the stands with nothing but 40,000 hard-core baseball fans, we'd be last in the league in attendance.

Just like the presidents race, the stuff Clint does between innings engages the kids and the casual fans who are just out for a good time. It also pays the bills with sponsorships, etc. Hardcore Nats fans should realize that this is critical for lining their pockets with money to spend on free agents. It all comes around.

For those who complain that it detracts from the game, take note that Clint only appears between innings. So lighten up.

Thanks for doing a great job, Clint. Lets Go Nats!

Posted by: LetTeddyWin_com | October 2, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse