Posted at 7:45 AM ET, 12/14/2010

Morning Bits

By Jennifer Rubin

Oh really? David Weinberger says this is the best argument for Mitt Romney in defense of ObamaCare: "Mr. Romney needs to make clear that, following the tradition of American federalism, RomneyCare was implemented at the state level. The important idea behind federalism is that what works in one state won't necessarily work in another. Likewise, what doesn't work in one state certainly won't work at the national level." But it didn't work in Massachusetts, either. And conservative health-care wonks will tell you that RomneyCare made the individual mandate politically acceptable on the national stage.

No kidding? First Read winnowed down Michael Steele's gaffes to the top ten.

You don't say? An ethics group attacks WikiLeaks, and bids farewell to Glenn Greenwald, because the group respects "the rule of law." The logic is, well, unassailable.

Who knew? Michelle Obama claims, "Childhood obesity isn't just a public health threat, it's not just an economic threat, it's a national security threat as well.... We can't just leave it up to the parents." Thunk. In a nutshell, the liberal nanny state.

You expected something else? "In his final public remarks as head of President Obama's National Economic Council on Monday morning, Larry Summers had nothing bad to say about himself.... If there was any humility on display Monday, it was when Summers made reference to how he took his White House post after an extremely rocky and unfortunate tenure at Harvard, where the faculty revolted against his perceived arrogance and alleged misogyny, and where one of his financial decisions cost the university's endowment $1 billion." This is why the Huffington Post is often worth a read.

Shocked? "Obama officials cash out.... We're talking high-paid gigs, book deals, and more." Me neither, but then, I never bought all the "change" hooey from the Obama camp.

That's for certain. Charles Krauthammer on being praised by Bill Clinton: "The fact that he praised me means that my career is basically over, although perhaps -- I think NPR has an opening, I think the Juan Williams spot.... Or I could return to psychiatry. The House Democrats could really use someone right now. They're very agitated. I would go into that caucus and just do a Valium spray and get all of 'em at once."

By Jennifer Rubin  | December 14, 2010; 7:45 AM ET
Categories:  Morning Bits
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: No Labels = No Content
Next: Individual mandate not easily fixable

Comments

To be fair to Mr. Steele, some of the "gaffes" mentioned on MSNBC's "First Read" are actually disagreements with the author's own leftist party line or are correct within context. I daresay that he has made enough of them without having to declare political differences as gaffes.

Posted by: colorlessblueideas | December 14, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Jennifer, your use of ellipses in the Michelle Obama statement is cheap and degrading to you.

It's one thing to be against what the First Lady said, but the part you left out completely changes the meaning, and makes her remarks a non-sequitur. Here is what she ACTUALLY said:

"And from military leaders who tell us that when more than one in four young people are unqualified for military service because of their weight, childhood obesity isn’t just a public health threat, it’s not just an economic threat, it’s a national security threat as well. These folks come at this issue from all different angles. But they’ve come together to support this bill because they know that it’s the right thing to do for our kids. And they know that in the long run, it won’t just save money, it will save lives.”

Furthermore your quote of "we can't just leave it up to the parents" does not appear in any version of her remarks that I've researched. Your use of quotation marks is demeaning and false.

You owe the First Lady an apology! (I'm not holding my breath)

Posted by: 54465446 | December 14, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I'm glad you got Summers, Krauthammer and Clinton all in one place.

I'm guessing that like the CIA holds secret award cermemonies for it's covert people, the Republican party will hold one for Summers, it's greatest double agent ever.

Listening to Krauthammer and Clinton talk about finance is like Bert and Ernie on nuclear weapons. Two more financially unsophisticated nitwits in the public eye would be hard to find, but it's good that they balance one another.

Posted by: 54465446 | December 14, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Well, apparently poster 54465446 didn't bother to watch the RCP video that Jennifer linked to. Michelle's very last words are " ....and we can't just leave it up to the parents".

No research is needed when you actually read or watch what someone has linked to. Duh.

Posted by: lopence | December 14, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

iopence:

Those words are not in her printed remarks that I have seen, so I presume they were off the cuff. In any case, you are correct about my criticism. Jennifer quoted her extermely out of context, but I relied on the printed text rather than the video for the last part of my post.

Thanks you for the correction.

Posted by: 54465446 | December 14, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse