Posted at 12:10 PM ET, 12/17/2010

ObamaCare: the beginning of the end?

By Jennifer Rubin

In response to one of my posts touching on the omnibus spending bill, reader jkk1943 observes (after praising the "much maligned Dr. No of the GOP," Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell):

The biggest poison pill in the bill was a one billion dollar appropriation bill for implementing Obamacare. By killing the omnibus bill the GOP will have a free hand in defunding Obamacare next year. Undoing much of the Obama agenda will be a significant accomplishment and will help heal the economy going forward.

That's precisely correct. The extension of the Bush tax cuts is an ideological and immediate victory for conservatives, but hampering the funding of ObamaCare may be the most legislatively significant development of the week. Republicans aim to hold an up or down vote on repeal and, if that fails, to dismantle the legislation's key provisions. A central element of that strategy, of course, will be halting its funding.

It is a reminder for Democrats that their "historic" legislation may be short-lived. Their agenda, especially ObamaCare, pushed the electorate to the right and brought about the defeat of so many of their members. And if last night is any indication, they also sowed the seeds of their health-care reform's undoing.

By Jennifer Rubin  | December 17, 2010; 12:10 PM ET
Categories:  Obamacare
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Why Paul Ryan excites conservatives
Next: Individual mandate on the ropes?

Comments

Jennifer, it's refreshing to have a voice like yours to point out all the reasons Democrats are bad, the President is bad, and Republicans have got it all figured out.

I wish radio and cable television could catch up to your conservative trailblazing. They would be successful at it, too.

Posted by: danw1 | December 17, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

danw1, you regularly commit the worst sin of blog commenting: You're boring. Your comments are boring. The places your brain goes are boring.

Stop boring us. You're wasting the Post's bandwidth, and you're wasting our time. Either stimulate us with ideas, or get out.

Posted by: BChris | December 17, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

BChris. I suggest that you review your attack on danw1 for an excellent example of "worst sin of blog commenting: You're boring." Also, "you're wasting the Post's bandwidth, and you're wasting our time."

Posted by: Bobo4 | December 17, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

It's good reading you Jennifer and I agree with most of your commentary although these days I kind of wonder why any genuine conservative/libertarian would work for leftist media.

The Republicans should be able to do that and they better, or we will find those who will. I'm already looking forward to 2012.

Posted by: Steevo64 | December 17, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Seems strange to log in to WAPO after almost six years. Never thought I'd have reason to again in this lifetime. Keep going, Jennifer. I'll come back to read you, but somehow I still feel unclean after logging into WAPO.

Posted by: bwebcpa1 | December 17, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Standard Political Speech:

==============
I have a plan. I have many plans. Public plans, secret plans, plans in progress, and plans in the planning stage.

Each of these plans will bring prosperity from chaos, and they must be enacted immediately without the delay of review. You would like my plans a lot if you could see them, but the time is not right just now. Still, we will act with speed to implement them.

The world will tremble with gratitude when it sees the result of my plans. I have applied my enormous mind and ego to the development and success of these plans. I plan to make you all happy, as best as can be done in this world of woe. I will bring you to a new prosperity, or at least I will save you from the collapse that would have happened without my planning ability.

My friends and I plan to be your leaders forever.
==============

Where are the plans in writing supporting government action, so that they may be analyzed and criticized in a reasonable manner? Hiding the details is a political tactic, a fraud on the public, and the mark of tyranny.

Or, are Obama and the Democrats putting down all of the odd thoughts and biases that they picked up over the years and wrote down on cocktail napkins?

We should ask loudly, how do our representatives know that their legislation will help, or solve anything? The legislative language is less important than the research that should show that the legislation will be of good effect.

Further, people are writing bills, in detail. Where are the research papers that support the writing of the bills? This research has to be there. We need to see it.

The Congress and Obama should proudly present their careful research that supports their proposed rearrangement of our country. Obama is a Harvard trained law instructor. He should be up to the task.

Where are the policy papers, Obama's and Congress's detailed research and justifications for their proposals?

Posted by: Andrew_M_Garland | December 17, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Bobo4: Yes, I recognize the irony of engaging in ad hominem to fight ad hominem.

But danw1 is a progressive who plops into lots of threads around here to take personal shots at conservatives. Not at conservative ideas, but at the people themselves -- the writers, commenters, politicians, intellectuals, etc. His sniping at Rubin here was typical.

And that stuff is just boring. Sorry I dive into boringness myself to point it out, but that unfortunately is how these things have to work sometimes.

Posted by: BChris | December 17, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

I hope the new House majority will not just defund ObamaCare but all the left wing organizations and and activities that promote Obama's agenda. The power of the purse is an awesome power indeed.

Posted by: eoniii | December 17, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Interesting to note that Jennifer Rubin's byline has the title "Right Turn" while the byline of Katrina Vanden Heuvel, a socialist, has no such label. Apparently, socialism, at the WaPo is a mainstream philosophy, while those who espouse traditional American values are deemed "right wing". Kind of tells one how far the WaPo has traveled, and should serve as a warning for those who seek true moderation.

Posted by: pijacobsen | December 17, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't be so quick to damn the healthcare LAW, Jennifer. The roll-out is so slow, it's only a guesstimate on whether it will sooth the deficit as well as save lives. Since it is impossible for the Dems to get rid of "temporary tax cuts" think how hard it will be to get rid of this... I'd say it will be impossible.

Posted by: TheSmartSet | December 18, 2010 2:00 AM | Report abuse

I will absolutely die laughing if after all of the corruption and the electoral seppuku that the Democrats committed to get this thing passed, the Supremes blow it up and, because of no severability (despite what Judge Hudson said), rule the whole thing unConstitutional. The heights of irony will be almost beyond comprehension. (Especially after The Messiah trash talked the Supremes at the last State of the Union Show.) Idiots.

Posted by: fmcdermott1 | December 18, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse