Posted at 3:36 PM ET, 12/ 8/2010

Sarah Palin tweets on tax deal

By Jennifer Rubin

The problem with conducting a public policy debate on Twitter is that issues don't have 140-character solutions. Moreover, by relying on Twitter to pronounce on major issues, one runs the risk of being misunderstood or not understood at all.

Sarah Palin tweets:

Obviously Obama is so very, very wrong on the economy & spins GOP tax cut goals;so fiscal conservatives: we expect you to fight for us &......America's solvency

What is she talking about? It is obvious that an extension of the Bush tax cuts is wrong? Or is it obvious that Obama is adopting ideas that were once Republican positions? If the latter, it should be a good thing, one would think. This is Palin at her worst -- reflexively anti-deal making, grandstanding, imprecise and unreasoned. If she has a specific policy argument -- e.g. the payroll tax "costs" too much for too little job growth -- then you'd think she, who has been accused of being light on policy knowledge, would want to spell . . er . . . tweet that out.

For some time, liberal pundits have been taunting conservatives that they need "adult" or "mature" leadership. Right now, Obama is short on both qualities. His shoddy performance yesterday highlights the opportunity for Republicans to field a candidate in 2012 who appears more presidential than the incumbent. But Palin certainly doesn't give the impression she would be able to step into that role.

By Jennifer Rubin  | December 8, 2010; 3:36 PM ET
Categories:  2012 campaign, Sarah Palin
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Reader's point: Obama ran on compromise
Next: Reaction to collapse of Middle East talks

Comments

Palin is the Democrats' dream candidate. I hope Republicans understand that. I like and admire Palin, but she's no more qualified for the presidency than the empty suit we already have.

Posted by: eoniii | December 8, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I will wait until Sarah Palins expands her thoughts on her Facebook page. Tweets leave much to be desired.

Posted by: DavidThomson | December 8, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Ok Ms.Rubin-we know you don't like Palin but your constant harping against her is really getting old.

Posted by: cajunkate | December 8, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

I like Ms. Palin, but I'm starting to think we need a more serious candidate. The media has determined she is a freak/bimbo, and that's what is going to drive the 2012 election if she is the nominee. Times are too serious for a circus campaign season.

Posted by: jmpickett | December 8, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Jennifer:

You are certainly correct that 140 characters is limiting - I'm sure Palin was referring to the President's characterization of the earned income tax credit and the unemployment benefits as "stimulative", versus tax cuts for the wealthy as an "expense". Separate from the angry ranting, this particular comment struck me as a weak rationalization by a man unable to admit his mistake and unwilling to recognize that he is NOT always the smartest person in the room. Similar comments included the polling backing his position or that "every economist" he talks to confirms he is right.

Regarding Palin and Twitter - didn't she enter the phrase "Death Panel" into the conversation via Twitter? That was an important moment in the rising opposition to Obamacare around Town Hall meeting time.

Anyway, I have followed you here from Commentary - good luck with the new blog!

Posted by: Free_American | December 8, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

"It is obvious that an extension of the Bush tax cuts are wrong? "

Good lord! What kind of grammar is that?

Posted by: alexandria6351 | December 8, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

It's a tweet not a koan. Obama doesn't understand economics. Obama misrepresents GOP positions. Hold the fort. How hard is that to understand?

Posted by: mboss | December 8, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

yeah, it's pretty much screwed proposition for both sides, but Palin is just trying to hold down the hard right position while the legislators are legislating.

Posted by: tangosucka | December 8, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Palin may not be the best candidate in 2012, but a little more kindness toward her would go a long way. Otherwise, she's likely to view you as just another Ivy League snob.

Posted by: ZoltanNewberry | December 8, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

"It is obvious that an extension of the Bush tax cuts are wrong? "

Good lord! What kind of grammar is that?

Posted by: alexandria6351 | December 8, 2010 5:04 PM
===========================================

Glad to be of service.

Posted by: alexandria6351 | December 8, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Does this mean Sarah is against extending tax cuts to upper earners, now that her AGI will be over $250K/year (along with TARP, stimulus, and bailout profiteers and bonus recipients)? is she actually pushing for something that will benefit the country? I doubt it.

Posted by: chris76543 | December 8, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

"I like Ms. Palin, but I'm starting to think we need a more serious candidate."

A little slow but good to hear. Sarah's not going to be expanding her voting base - soon she won't have enough sheeple to win a primary.

Posted by: chris76543 | December 8, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

"But Palin certainly doesn't give the impression she would be able to step into that role"

Governor Jeb Bush would be able to step into that role.

Gov Jeb Bush has the courage, wisdom and vision to condemn and denounce the evil, corruption and bankruptcy of the widely despised Ronald Reagan regime.

“The era of Ronald Reagan is over !” Jeb Bush the Reagan Slayer

Jeb Bush 2012 - The Reagan Slayer

Posted by: skponggol | December 8, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Admittedly, I am not very sophisticated, but what Sarah is talking about is clear to me: when she tweets that Obama “spins [the] GOP tax goals” she is referring to his claim that the GOP did not want to extend the Bush tax cuts for the middle class but only for the rich.

Posted by: Skeptic20 | December 8, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

"Well, I don't know if you guys get Sarah Palin's tweet, but it does not appear she likes this deal." Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said.

Why is Ms Jennifer Rubin so slow in thinking ? What kind of qualifications do you have for working as a "journalist" ? Is understanding simple tweets too much above your pay grade ?

Everyone in this world, including the White House read and understand Palin's tweets. Whether Ms Rubin understand or not is irrelevant and insignificant. Nobody give a tweet to her !

Posted by: skponggol | December 8, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Well, I wondered how long it would take.
We get it. You who fancy yourselves as up and comers in the beltway establishment hate Palin. Whooptie.
Such a hard position to take in those circles. I hear that there's not much of a future for Palin detractors in the cocktail party circuit. I mean, who is going to dazzle you with charming anecdotes, haughty laughter, and jutted chin-stroking, if you're bashing that beltway fave, Sarah Palin?

I think it is obvious what Palin is saying, and I agree wholeheartedly.
Obama is wrong (I would have said *lying*) about the economy.
He is spinning (I would have said *lying*) about the goal of stemming a new wave of job losses, by extending tax cuts for the upper brackets.
And I do hope that the few fiscal conservatives in the GOP will stand up and fight for our solvency.

I would like to see someone else work that message in to 140 characters.

Well done, Sarah

Posted by: MrMeaner | December 8, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

jen-
In your Contentions posts I always thought you were as fair to and supportive of Sarah Palin as a Berkeley grad member of the Washington establishment could possibly be. You were often critical of details, but supportive of her strengths and her positive contributions.I sure hope this new prestigious post in the "bowels of the beast" won't change your basic objectivity and fairness.

So I'm a bit nervous about this post. Your criticism is right on, but why did you choose to make it? It seems a bit petty. I really hope it isn't a pandering sop to your new bosses and new readership. I think and hope not, but I worry.

Posted by: meta-materialist | December 8, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

I understood the tweet, too, but I also (a) like and admire her and (b) don't think she'd be a either a good candidate or a good president, although (c) she is, in fact, more qualified than the man who currently holds the office.

I don't want another whiner in the office. She can't distance herself from her (unfair) press and her family is way too much in the public eye which simply invites more unpleasant and unseemly outbursts. Despite that, I am convinced that she is one of the more intelligent and energetic pols to grace America's political landscape.

I could be convinced to support her if one of her campaign pledges were, "If I win, you'll never see or hear from Bristol again."

Posted by: bbmoe | December 8, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

The bitta quitta from Wasilla, she's a serial twitta.

Posted by: Fred251 | December 8, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

WHY do we bother to comment on anything this person says? She can't even finish a sentence without flying off into uninhabited space.

Posted by: carepearce | December 9, 2010 4:15 AM | Report abuse

She's only got 140 characters, yet chooses to repeat "very" and use the unnecessary "obviously".
No wonder she lacks character.

Posted by: jaybee48 | December 9, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse