Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
Posted at 11:30 AM ET, 01/17/2011

A left-wing blog plays the race card

By Jennifer Rubin

Last week The Post ran an article describing efforts in Wake County, N.C. to end a school desegregation plan. The article explained that while Democratic and Republican school boards had supported different variations of school integration, parents became fed up:

[A]s the county has boomed in recent years -- adding as many as 6,000 students a year -- poverty levels at some schools have exceeded 70 percent. And many suburban parents have complained that their children are being reassigned from one school to the next. Officials blame this on the unprecedented growth, but parents blame the diversity goal.

"Basically, all the problems have roots in the diversity policy," said Kathleen Brennan, who formed a parent group to challenge the system. "There was just this constant shuffling every year." She added: "These people are patting themselves on the back and only 54 percent of [poor] kids are graduating. And I'm being painted a racist. But isn't it racist to have low expectations?"

For me, this is sort of a back-to-the-future incident that mirrors the experience in California's San Fernando Valley decades ago, when a grass-roots movement to end forced busing arose in opposition to unresponsive school officials.

So, isn't it a good thing that parents have exercised their political rights and reversed a policy that they contend was detrimental to their kids? I mean, who could object? Oh, the NAACP, of course, which is filing a lawsuit.

But proponents of racial preferences should be careful. The two Supreme Court decisions handed down in 2007 out of Louisville and Seattle found school assignment plans based on race to be unconstitutional. So it may be hard to argue that the old system is needed to preserve racial parity.

Oh, but it's not just the NAACP that is grousing. You see, some people are upset that the Tea Party was involved in the effort to oust the school board. The Post noted:

In their quest to end the diversity policy, the frustrated parents have found some influential partners, among them retail magnate and Republican operative Art Pope. Following his guidance, the GOP fielded the victorious bloc of school board candidates who railed against "forced busing." The nation's largest tea party organizers, Americans for Prosperity - on whose national board Pope sits - cast the old school board members as arrogant "leftists." Two libertarian think tanks, which Pope funds almost exclusively, have deployed experts on TV and radio.

That was essentially the report.

But the swamp fever of the left apparently wasn't satisfied with the story as it was presented. The left-wing Think Progress spun it this way:

The integration plan, which created thriving schools in poor African-American parts of the school district along with achieving diversity in schools located in wealthy white enclaves, was a model for the nation. However, Americans for Prosperity (AFP), the Tea Party group founded and funded by billionaire brothers Charles and David Koch, worked with local right-wing financier (and AFP board member) Art Pope to fundamentally change Wake County's school board.

Wait a sec. Didn't The Post reporter document the frustration of parents and their accumulated grievances over the operation of the school plan? Um, this would be cherry-picking on steroids.

But then Think Progress went around the bend:

In a way, the Koch brothers are simply fulfilling their father's legacy. In 1958, Fred Koch -- the founder of Koch Industries -- joined a group of manufacturing executives and Robert Welch to found the John Birch Society, a virulent far-right group that dominated the civil rights debate. The John Birch Society organized an impeachment campaign against then-Supreme Court Justice Earl Warren for the Brown v. Board decision outlawing racial segregation, and mobilized its supporters to oppose integration of schools on the grounds that mixing black and white would lead to the "mongrelization" of the races. Fred supported the John Birch Society's anti-civil rights campaign, and wrote a screed denouncing the civil rights movement as communist-inspired.

Whoa, whoa. What is this: The sins of the father are visited on the children? Since when is that a standard?

What followed was an incomprehensible string of associations. including the fact that the Koch brothers allegedly supported Mitt Romney in 2008. (So??) Moreover, while AFP and the Tea Party are fairly vigorous, remember that the school board was thrown out by an election. Or does Think Progress think the people of Wake County are dullards, simply led around by the nose by the mind-controllers in the Tea Party? Don't answer that.

This is rotten stuff indeed. Listen, the Koch brothers are rich guys and don't need to be adored, nor do you have to agree with their politics to find the guilt-by-parenthood gambit quite noxious. What is more, the swamplands seem to have picked the wrong smear to hurl at these guys. A little checking (Google - what a great invention!) shows that Koch Industries gives money to "programs to recruit and mentor multicultural students." That's not all. The supposedly nefarious Koch brothers (if you take the time to read through the 32-page brochure on their philanthropy) give to "National Black Arts Festival, a non-profit cultural institution based in Atlanta that celebrates the contributions of people of African descent and their impact on world cultures.) Oh, there is more. If you hop over to the Georgia-Pacific (a Koch company) website, you find the president of its philanthropic foundation is African American. And you then also find that the company is giving to Youth Entrepreneurs of Atlanta. (A nice photo is here.)

In other words, Think Progress misrepresented The Post's story and mislabeled two individuals as racists. All in a day's work in the left blogosphere, I suppose.

By Jennifer Rubin  | January 17, 2011; 11:30 AM ET
Categories:  Left blogosphere  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Easing sanctions on totalitarian Cuba
Next: The path for each GOP 2012 contender

Comments

CIVIL RIGHTS


The FIRST Federal Civil Right legislation was passed by US Grant - a Republican.

The democrats then spent the next 90 YEARS undermining that law - and subverting it.

The democrats passed laws to subvert Grant's Republican Civil Rights Act - and THE DEMOCRATS LYNCHED BLACKS WHO DID NOT COOPERATE.
_________________________


Somehow, the democrats of today LOVE to blame the Republicans for what the DEMOCRATS DID.

AND somehow the democrats WANT CREDIT for Civil Rights - like Lincoln freeing the slaves was meaningless.

(For all you democrats out there, Lincoln was a Republican.)

____________________


Martin Luther King was a Republican.


What the democrats want you to BELIEVE IS A SET OF DECEPTIONS AND LIES.


Posted by: RainForestRising | January 17, 2011 11:38 AM | Report abuse

REMEMBER

The democrats passed the Jim Crow laws.


The democrats defended the Jim Crow laws and got the Supreme Court to say they were Consititutional.

(not much unlike Obama defending the health care law)


The democrats were ALIGNED with the KKK.


The democrats allowed the KKK to send blocks of delegates to the DNC National Conventions.


The democrats FOUGHT against Civil Rights legislation with filibusters in the US Senate.

_____________________


AND the democrats are the ones who LYNCHED BLACKS during the Jim Crow era.


___________


And the democrats will sit here and say they are lilly-white and they will ATTEMPT TO MAKE YOU THINK THE REPUBLICANS ARE THE BAD, BAD GUYS.


What a joke.

Posted by: RainForestRising | January 17, 2011 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Because a right-leaning blogger would never mischaracterize a story to suit his or her own world view?

Criticize the blog posting all you want, but spare us the "All in a day's work in the left blogosphere, I suppose." That kind of stuff is best reserved for knee-jerk partisans, not someone blogging for a newspaper of record.

Posted by: mustangs79 | January 17, 2011 12:04 PM | Report abuse

RainForestRising, you left out the part where the Dixiecrat segregationists were so disgusted by the Civil Rights Act of 1964 that they left en masse and became Republicans.

I'm sure the omission was just an oversight on your part.

Posted by: carlaclaws | January 17, 2011 12:45 PM | Report abuse

I am sick of the fact that the right wing has talking points like, ITS THE DEMS THAT ARE RACIST. (even though, as an earlier poster pointed out, those Democrats ahnd their kids) became the backbone of today's GOP) or their other sin of omission to call the Civil War a war that had nothing to do with slavery. These are NOT comments based on discussing differing points of view.These are lies in order to twist history and to shut up others.

Posted by: Ralph_Indianapolis | January 17, 2011 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Rain Forest Zouk or whatever his moniker is also leaves out the part that goes back to 1948 at the DNC when then Minnapolis mayor Hubert Humphery spoke in defense of civil rights. Strom Thermond and his ilk walked out and ran as dixiecrats. His hero Reagan also opposed the 1964 civil rights act. Just looking at the modern day Republican Tea bagger party 40 years after the southern strategy says it all.

RainForestRising, you left out the part where the Dixiecrat segregationists were so disgusted by the Civil Rights Act of 1964 that they left en masse and became Republicans.

I'm sure the omission was just an oversight on your part.

Posted by: carlaclaws

Posted by: MerrillFrank | January 17, 2011 1:17 PM | Report abuse

permit a translation of this:
===================
Criticize the blog posting all you want, but spare us the "All in a day's work in the left blogosphere, I suppose." That kind of stuff is best reserved for knee-jerk partisans, not someone blogging for a newspaper of record.

=========================

Decoding this carefully one will find the actual message contained above to be: Do as the liberals say, not as the liberals do.

Posted by: skipsailing28 | January 17, 2011 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Ralph_Indianapolis, o read the Southern states' various declarations (or articles) of secession.

Mississippi: "Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery - the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth."

Georgia: "For the last ten years we have had numerous and serious causes of complaint against our non-slave-holding confederate States with reference to the subject of African slavery. They have endeavored to weaken our security, to disturb our domestic peace and tranquility [...]"

Texas: "In all the non-slaveholding States, in violation of that good faith and comity which should exist between entirely distinct nations, the people have formed themselves into a great sectional party, now strong enough in numbers to control the affairs of each of those States, based upon an unnatural feeling of hostility to these Southern States and their beneficent and patriarchal system of African slavery, proclaiming the debasing doctrine of equality of all men, irrespective of race or color - a doctrine at war with nature, in opposition to the experience of mankind, and in violation of the plainest revelations of Divine Law. They demand the abolition of negro slavery throughout the confederacy, the recognition of political equality between the white and negro races, and avow their determination to press on their crusade against us, so long as a negro slave remains in these States."

South Carolina: We affirm that these ends for which this Government was instituted have been defeated, and the Government itself has been made destructive of them by the action of the non-slaveholding States. Those States have assume the right of deciding upon the propriety of our domestic institutions; and have denied the rights of property established in fifteen of the States and recognized by the Constitution; they have denounced as sinful the institution of slavery; they have permitted open establishment among them of societies, whose avowed object is to disturb the peace and to eloign the property of the citizens of other States. They have encouraged and assisted thousands of our slaves to leave their homes; and those who remain, have been incited by emissaries, books and pictures to servile insurrection."

Alabama: "And as it is the desire and purpose of the people of Alabama to meet the slaveholding States of the South, who may approve such purpose, in order to frame a provisional as well as permanent Government upon the principles of the Constitution of the United States [...]"

Sorry, that's all I have room for. I'll post more if you keep spewing nonsense.

Posted by: carlaclaws | January 17, 2011 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Ah yes, the Democrats can have crooks, thieves and KKK members in their caucus and hey, liberals like carlaclaws have no problems.

It is a long way from 1964 to today. No society has gone further faster than we have to right was so clearly a wrong. but the American left will never be satisfied. Why? because for liberals this about one thing and one thing only: power. If we admit that we've done all we can do via the institutions of government and we need to disband organizations like the EEOC the liberals will howl like stuck pigs.

Again, this isn't about achieving MLK's dream, its about achieving Marx's.

Posted by: skipsailing28 | January 17, 2011 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Not sure how this all ends, except with the complete and utter humiliation of the Caucasian component of the country. It seems to be the only recognizable stopping point when an industry of professional axe-grinding has grown to such massive, entrenched positions of power in our society.

To admit that the NAACP is an anachronism would be for the professional left to commit political suicide. It'll never happen for those who built racial guilt-mongering into the lucrative industry that it is. Lose a life's work? Lose a profitable career? DO NOT WANT.

Posted by: jcline1 | January 17, 2011 1:58 PM | Report abuse

As I've noted, folks like carlaclaws cannot help themselves. They MUST continue to believe that conservatives and Republicans would return to slave ownership the second the opportunity arose.

this is because liberals like carlaclaws aren't actually viewing the world directly. Oh no, today's liberals view the world as their dogma explains it to them. They have an all encompassing, all explaining doctrine and to stray from that will result in expulsion from the liberal clan. Don't believe me? Ask Juan Williams.

It is just too funny that carlaclaws brings up the seccession, as if no change in the hearts and minds of the American people has occurred since then. It is the bigotry that is now typical of the American left on display.

How sad that the liberal movement has lost is soul and its moral compass.

Posted by: skipsailing28 | January 17, 2011 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Without any trace of irony, you yourself make the connection that "Tea Party" equals a front organization for a wealthy local plutocrat to stage a well financed ideological takeover of local government.

Then they bring in someone from outside the area to run the show, oh and he has minimal background in education.

Anywhere else, people would say assume this person was a stooge brought in to destroy the system, or someone's nephew, or someone that had slept their way up the ladder.

Predictably,in the Tea Party astroturf hails the rookie outsider as automatically having more credibility, because....well just because, damn it, and stop asking questions!!!!!

Seriously, this Tea Party has the upside quality of "Sarah Palin In Wonderland," where inexperience and ideological purity is the answer to everything.

Maybe the GOP could call this "The Great Leap Forward," oh wait, Mao used that one for his grand experiment in inexperience and purity.

Posted by: BurfordHolly | January 17, 2011 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Well Burford, if you don't like the tea party I have an excellent idea: Beat us at the polls.

Till then you're just another whining loser. What was it Nancy Pelosi said? Oh yeah, "Elections have consequences"

Posted by: skipsailing28 | January 17, 2011 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Is it possible the parents would like their children to attend the closest school to the homes they purchased? Does it have to mean anything more than that?

Posted by: dcsmartie | January 17, 2011 2:31 PM | Report abuse

In Akron, OH the county prosecutor is trying two citizens for lying to the school district about where their kids live.

This is a clear indication of the arrogance of our government. If we were in a voucher system parents would be able to pick the school. Instead we have this nonsense wherein over paid administrators seek to achieve goals that are simply antiethical to a good education.

Posted by: skipsailing28 | January 17, 2011 2:35 PM | Report abuse

The Koch brothers supported RINO Romney? I thought they were supposed to be conservatives, but it seems that they're just liberals who want to go a little slower.

Posted by: vinyl1 | January 17, 2011 3:11 PM | Report abuse

skipsailing28 wrote: "As I've noted, folks like carlaclaws cannot help themselves. They MUST continue to believe that conservatives and Republicans would return to slave ownership the second the opportunity arose."
=======================================
I don't believe any such foolishness. I was just countering disingenuous attempts at rewriting history, and cherry-picking of facts, to further an agenda.

Oh, goodness, what other accusations did you level at me based on my simple posting of facts?

"It is just too funny that carlaclaws brings up the seccession, as if no change in the hearts and minds of the American people has occurred since then. It is the bigotry that is now typical of the American left on display."

Certainly I realize the substantial changes that have occurred in (most) Americans' hearts and minds since the Jim Crow era. I am African American. My family and I have benefited directly from those changes. You have no basis for implying otherwise.

Bigotry???? I called a previous poster on a convenient omission of fact. How in the name of Sam Hill does that make me a bigot? My white Southern relatives and friends, who are very dear to me, would laugh you off the board for that one. I suspect that my white husband would chuckle as well.

"this is because liberals like carlaclaws aren't actually viewing the world directly. Oh no, today's liberals view the world as their dogma explains it to them. They have an all encompassing, all explaining doctrine and to stray from that will result in expulsion from the liberal clan."

I am a liberal, but I actually don't have that much of a quarrel with thinking conservatives. I realize that they, like me, are products of their experiences and education. I actually hold a few viewpoints that put me at odds with liberals, my views on D.C.s gun laws being one example - and this despite the fact that I hate guns and know they are all too often used against those whom they are supposed to protect. So far, no liberals have attempted to orchestrate my expulsion.

That enough billy goat meat for you to chew on for a while?

Posted by: carlaclaws | January 17, 2011 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Oh, Ralph_Indianapolis, my apologies. I mistook a comment by you about someone else's post for a statement of your own views.

Posted by: carlaclaws | January 17, 2011 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Whoa, whoa. What is this: The sins of the father are visited on the children? Since when is that a standard?

By Jennifer Rubin | January 17, 2011; 11:30 AM ET

--

Yeah, the right never does that.

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2010/0927/politics-socialism-capitalism-private-enterprises-obama-business-problem.html

BB

Posted by: FairlingtonBlade | January 17, 2011 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I just adore birria tacos. Goats are herbivores (for the most part) which makes them just delicious. Thanks for that.

the underlying assumption is pretty clear: rainforestrising left out what you think is important and you believe he did so on purpose. The theme of the game, as I read your writing, is that RFR is therefore a racist. since this is a charge leveled by liberals against those with the nerve to disagree with them each and every day, it is no small step from your words to the bigotry they contain. The underlying assumption could be wrong and I'd love to be wrong about even one liberal today. Who knows, maybe it is you.

And if you've benefited from the changes, why dwell in the past? Again, all I read is someone who refused to allow conservatives and republicans the benefit of the doubt. People you don't like acted badly decades ago. And it seems to me that the intent is to link today's conservatives and republicans to those ugly folks. that's the way I read what you wrote. Interesting how you had those quotes ready to hand, wouldn't you say?

It is long past time that we whities fight back against this endless onslaught of bigotry. I frankly think that Mr Obama has done more for racial healing than he imagines. He's done this by providing Americans the opportunity to PROVE that we can disagree with a black man based on the man's stated positions and not on his skin color.

I'm tired of being called a racist by black people. And I'm tired of the bigotry and racism that comes from many of the black people I encounter. the culture of the American blacks at this moment is dysfunctional to the point of pernicious but we can't talk about it frankly because if we do we'll get called names.

Clyburn, Clever and Lewis are, sadly, paradigmns of this in the modern era. They used unfounded charges to smear folks who disagreed with them politically. A nasty piece of work, that. But it has its upside. They completely wore out what ever magic was left in that favorite liberal incantation "Racist!"

and I stand by my contention about seeing everything in terms of your dogma. It is SOP for the liberals I encounter in places like this and you've offered no real reason why I should believe otherwise.

Again, thanks for the memory of Mexican street food.

Posted by: skipsailing28 | January 17, 2011 3:34 PM | Report abuse

For a great example of how the liberals and Democrats play the race card at every opportunity one need look no further than the faux controversy over the cabinet being assembled by Ohio's new govenor, John Kasich.

The left, still in denial about the shellacking they took is hurling its same, trite, tired, old charges in the hopes that the magic of the charge "racist!" will somehow re appear. It won't we're past that now. Thank clever, lewis & Co for that.

the Cleveland Plain Dealer, a liberal rag if there ever was one, provides the usual race baiters with the necessary megaphone. Two whiners vie for honorable mention:

"Absolutely unacceptable," said Joe Mas, a Columbus Democrat who is chairman of the Ohio Hispanic Coalition

then there is this:

"Sadly, I have to say that I am not surprised," said state Rep. Sandra Williams, a Cleveland Democrat and chair of the Ohio Legislative Black Caucus. "Just look at the Republican members of the legislature. Do you see any blacks? Do you see any minorities in there? On their campaigns you didn't see very many either.

so what these people want, it seems, is for Mr Kasich and everybody else for that matter, to judge first on skin color, then on qualifications.

Three things to note:
First, we cannot ignore the role of the Plain Dealer in this. Their record on investigative reporting is good. Their reputation for liberal slant is widely known.
Next, Both "minority" spokespeople played the race card without blushing. This proves that they are more interested in race than facing the massive budget deficit that looms before the state.

Three, this article also proves that Aesop was right: sour grapes.

My suggestion for the folks quoted above: wash down the crow you are eating with the juice of those sour grapes you just squeezed.

Yum.

Posted by: skipsailing28 | January 17, 2011 3:55 PM | Report abuse

As long as people exist, there will always be racism. It's a human condition on which civilization was built and it's not just isolated to white people or any other race.

We cannot have honest dialogue about it, because it's such a painful and passionate issue...no one wants to be labled as a RACIST, but like it or not, it still exists in all races and all cultures.

Posted by: rickyroge | January 17, 2011 4:01 PM | Report abuse


That's rich!

The Left try to vilify the Koch Brothers, who although they did donate to one Tea Party organization, does not fund the thousands of other throughout America.

But,Think Progress, is funded by mega-billionaire George Soros, so no wonder the rhetoric was over-the-top.

I think Elementary school children are better off going to school close to home. To uproot them each year based on the diversity quotient is insane.

Besides, they are sent home more often for getting sick at school and it makes sense to keep the little ones close to home.

Anyway, usually in middle and high schools the students experience diversity of ethnicities and races.

Posted by: janet8 | January 17, 2011 4:08 PM | Report abuse

>Posted by: skipsailing28
>Well Burford, if you don't like the tea
> party I have an excellent idea: Beat us
> at the polls.

It'll happen sooner or later, Daffodil. Like domestic turkeys, the Tea Party is being bred to create something so brain dead it can't reproduce without a lab technician and a syringe, and it's more than half way there already.

Posted by: BurfordHolly | January 17, 2011 4:28 PM | Report abuse

>Posted by: skipsailing28
>Well Burford, if you don't like the tea
> party I have an excellent idea: Beat us
> at the polls.

It'll happen sooner or later, Daffodil. Like domestic turkeys, the Tea Party is being bred to create something that can't reproduce without a lab technician and a syringe.

Posted by: BurfordHolly | January 17, 2011 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Why burford, how you do go on.

Do you really think you can beat us with just your snide cynicism?

How about a political platform Burford? Got one of those? Currently Americans look at the liberal/Democrat party as being the party that takes money from the people they don't like and gives it to the people they do.

so I guess if you had some policy proposals that were, you know, like helpful, you'd offer them.

But since snide snottiness is all you've got it is fair to conclude that you got nothing.

Hardly shocking that.

Posted by: skipsailing28 | January 17, 2011 4:58 PM | Report abuse

I grew up in Wichita, where Koch is based. They're all about keeping government's hands off their money, not racism. It would be kind of tough to be against brown skins, as many Indian and Arab engineers as they employ.

Posted by: mgmax | January 17, 2011 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Nobody pays attention to cries of "racism" anymore. The race card has been so overplayed that no one really pays attention anymore. Ironically, the indiscriminate use of it has set back race relations.

Posted by: HughJassPhD | January 17, 2011 6:47 PM | Report abuse

skipsailing28 wrote: the underlying assumption is pretty clear: rainforestrising left out what you think is important and you believe he did so on purpose. The theme of the game, as I read your writing, is that RFR is therefore a racist. since this is a charge leveled by liberals against those with the nerve to disagree with them each and every day, it is no small step from your words to the bigotry they contain. The underlying assumption could be wrong and I'd love to be wrong about even one liberal today.
=======================================
Maybe you hit the jackpot. I NEVER implied he was a racist. I never wrote a racist word. I know folks who have absorbed misinformation about the Civil War who are not racists. I also know people who are not racists who mistakenly believe the Civil War had nothing to do with slavery. That is what they were taught. I correct them, and I try to be polite.

You are wrong about MANY liberals. In fact, you seem to enjoy pegging all of us with identical traits and mindsets when we are as diverse as conservatives. Isn't that one definition of bigotry? Why do you insist that my clarification of ONE person's post constitutes an attack on all conservatives?

"And if you've benefited from the changes, why dwell in the past?"

I DON'T dwell in the past. I have no desire to. However, I know that impressionable children and recent immigrants read these discussions, and I want them to carry away accurate information. That is why I "feed trolls" when they post information that is patently false. I am not the one who brought up events of the 19th and 20th centuries.

"And it seems to me that the intent is to link today's conservatives and republicans to those ugly folks."

That certainly was not my intent. I can't speak for the posters who insist that "Democrats are the real racists." However, when someone levels that accusation and points to events that occurred before the Dixiecrats split and Nixon's Southern strategy, I like to remind them that the segregationists departed the party en masse. I don't think you will find too many klansmen or white supremacists who are members of the Democratic party today. So if the Democrats WERE the "real racists," they are hardly the refuge of white racists today.

"I'm tired of being called a racist by black people. And I'm tired of the bigotry and racism that comes from many of the black people I encounter."

I'm tired of it, too. All the more reason I take strong exception when you refer to my clarification as "bigotry."

"and I stand by my contention about seeing everything in terms of your dogma. "

I did not write the Articles of Secession I quoted verbatim. Nor did I act in any way to usher in the departure of the segregationists from the Democratic party. Exactly what "dogma" do you mean?

Posted by: carlaclaws | January 17, 2011 7:56 PM | Report abuse

What else is new....your fellow JOURNO_LISTERS at the DemPost were caught red-handed coordinating hitjobs on conservatives as racists.

As I recall the exact terminology was something to the effect of "....pick a conservative, any conservative and label them a racists, doesn't matter if it is true, just pick one and go...."

And this was concocted by the Leftist "elite" media members in response to the revelation that Barack Obama had attended a racist, bigoted "church" for twenty years. Somethings are more important than the truth for the leftist "journalists"....see Paul Krugman.

Posted by: LogicalSC | January 17, 2011 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Democrats need to be beaten over the head (figuratively, of course) with a copy of "The Boy Who Cried Wolf." They've overused the race card so much, I'm surprised that anyone still pays attention.

However, their intent is to implement a Big Lie strategy. They hope that if they call Republicans and Tea Partiers racists often enough, then people will believe it to be true. It certainly seems to be working on the country's African-American population, who still support Obama at 80+%. This isn't Martin Luther King's dream, it's Malcolm X's.

Assigning children to local schools has benefits that both parties can support. School districts will spend less on transportation costs, which Republicans like; and a reduced amount of bus pollutants will be emitted, which Democrats like.

Posted by: mike_w_long | January 18, 2011 9:30 AM | Report abuse

This is clearly an attempt to rig the game. It's easy to see how this is going to play out:

1) The poor children are going to quarantined in their neighborhood.

2) Scores plummet for those schools.

3) Under NCLB or similar mandates, these schools get less money or are threatened with closure, even though they were functioning OK before.

4) Conservatives do their little anarchist victory dance over the failure of government while blaming Mexicans and single mothers.

5) Massive lawsuits in federal court on behalf of the students in schools that are "mysteriously" failing.

Or we could just skip all the intermediate steps and go straight to the lawsuits.

Posted by: BurfordHolly | January 18, 2011 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Maybe if you worked for one of the Koch Brother's companies then you wouldn't be so quick to defend them.
My company was bought by Charles Koch and even though we made more profits that ever in the 85 history of our company Charles Koch wants to freeze wages, cut health care, and eliminate our 50 year old pension, and use that money to buy as much control of the government as possible.

Don't be fooled. These are men hide behind others to do their bidding for them. I see it first hand were I work, and if anyone from the media would bother to talk to a Koch Industries employee then they would hear the truth.

Posted by: mtravis390 | January 18, 2011 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Post a Comment

We encourage users to analyze, comment on and even challenge washingtonpost.com's articles, blogs, reviews and multimedia features.

User reviews and comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed. Finally, we will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or privacy policies or any other policies governing this site. Please review the full rules governing commentaries and discussions.




characters remaining

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2011 The Washington Post Company