Posted at 5:20 PM ET, 02/24/2011

Glenn Beck doesn't speak for mainstream conservatives

By Jennifer Rubin

Each time I write a post critical of Fox News host Glenn Beck, scores of conservatives e-mail and comment here at Right Turn that he's "not as bad" as the left portrays him and that, besides, there are worse figures on the left.

The "left is worse" argument doesn't fly. Listen, I am never shy about pointing out hypocrisy by the left -- as I did in response to an anti-Beck letter organized by Jewish Funds for Justice. But the argument that "the other side is worse" is not an argument that justifies Beck's conduct.

With regard to Beck himself, Peter Wehner at Commentary has a must-read post that includes this:

In the past few weeks Glenn Beck has spoken about the coming caliphate that he believes is about to envelope most of the world. He then dilated on the anti-Christ with a man who says he has "new prophetic understanding into the end times." In 2009, this self-proclaimed prophet wrote a column titled "What Obama and the Anti-Christ Have in Common." Then, on a recent show, the discussion focused on the coming Islamic anti-Christ. And earlier this week, an irate, bellicose Beck spoke about the "perfect storm" America faces. "I can't honestly believe we're finally here," he said in praising his own prescience. In his version of events, Beck is the solitary Voice of Truth willing to expose the New World Order (complete with references to Van Jones and Code Pink).

Pete concludes: "All this is quite troublesome in its own right. But what ought to worry conservatives in particular is that Beck not only has the unusual capacity to discredit virtually every cause he takes up; he also confirms the worst caricatures of the right."

And if that's not bad enough, Beck had to apologize for comparing Reform Judaism to radical Islam.

So what should thoughtful conservatives do? I've said it before, but it is especially relevant here: Police their own side. Rather than reflexively rising to his defense when questioned about Beck, why don't conservatives call him out and explain that he doesn't represent the views of mainstream conservatives? Conservative groups and candidates should be forewarned: If they host, appear with or defend him they should be prepared to have his extremist views affixed to them.

Fox News has every right to have whomever it wants on the air, but, likewise, conservatives have every right to and, indeed, should disassociate themselves from his brand of rhetoric.

By Jennifer Rubin  | February 24, 2011; 5:20 PM ET
Categories:  Conservative movement
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Thursday feature: A turn to lighter fare
Next: What will Obama do?

Comments

Jennifer, simply ridiculous; you, Kristol, and now Pete are attacking, as I stated in Friday's question's submission, "the wrong conservative foil to play against Olbermann, Maddow, Matthews, et al.".

Maybe, just maybe, under normal circumstances, one may dismiss conspiratorial memes, but not anymory. This guy in the Whitehouse is a whole new breed of cat.

Because of Beck, you, and all of the other "highminded", gentleman/gentlewoman conservative writers can allude to Cass Sunstein, Van Jone, Andy Stern, and all of the other freaks without having to explain their sordid backgrounds, because Beck long-ago outed them for who they are. Don't you find Savage at least as unappetizing?

This is rapidly becoming Bizzaro world.

I'm more concerned that no one's complaining how Obama is becoming the most lawless administration - EVER. We're not talking about the stuff done by Grant's underlings when he was full of Maker's Mark, but by actions directed from the very top.

I've gone from being a big fan of yours to merely a fan, and am rapidly becoming someone who merely glances at your site. Please stop it.

Respectfully, Lou

Posted by: fatb0y | February 24, 2011 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Beck can be over the top, no doubt. I'm conservative (51%) and I don’t like much of what he says. On the other hand Jennifer says "I've said it before, but it is especially relevant here: Police their own side." I couldn't agree more, but when did the last Democrat try to stop Cindy Sheehan from making many similar remarks? Oh yea, they didn't because she's THEIR wacko.

Posted by: thatavkguy | February 24, 2011 6:18 PM | Report abuse

They don't call him out because they need every last vote they can squeeze out of "The Base" There is crazy and there is crazier and they need all of them to clear that margin required to win an election, that they then will declare as a mandate. It must be hard to sleep at night if your a modern conservative with a conscience; if one does exist.

Posted by: dollmike | February 24, 2011 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Glenn Beck apologized for his anti-Semitic and ignorant rant. Why is it that he apologies for his own words, but his own loyal cult followers can’t accept the apology?

Mr. Beck wrote:

Mr. Foxman,

I just wanted to write to you personally and thank you for bringing to my attention the inaccurate comments I made on Tuesday. I was admittedly misinformed on Reform Rabbis and made a horrible analogy that I immediately attempted to clarify--quite honestly, I blew it on this one. When I believe I'm right, I am always willing to defend my ground. But, when I make a mistake, I hope you understand that I am willing to say so. It is why I led my show today with an admission that I was wrong and an apology to everyone I offended--within Reform Judaism and throughout the Jewish community.

Sincerely,

Glenn Beck

Posted by: linda87 | February 24, 2011 6:27 PM | Report abuse

As the goal posts have moved to the right, any person who actually pays attention to the wider field of information knows that Obama and Clinton were both to the political right of Eisenhower, and even Nixon, and in many aspects even Barry Goldwater.

With that much of the old political center taken, there is no room on the right anymore except for what the folk above called the lunatic fringe, and that many sought back then to distance from the Republican Party.

Now that well paid corruption is able to fund more well paid corruption, there is little of business left that is not some sort of confidence game or outright piracy and those that are honest face very hard times.

Actual facts can be hidden for a time, especially for those willfully avoiding them, but history will label what passes for conservative today as the worst sort of poison unless honest folk work very hard to take it back.

Posted by: FreeDem | February 24, 2011 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Lou wrote:

I agree, completely. I used to look forward to reading what JR has to say. She would be my first stop in the AM. But no longer.

Posted by: MarineMominScottsdale | February 24, 2011 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Beck's trouble is that he is talking live. Go ahead and try it yourself rather than writing a column or blog.
How often do you write a paragraph and go, oh, this stinks, delete?
Beck has done yeoman fundamental journalism and research on things like Van Jones, and George Soros' foundational money machine.
By contrast, I've not seen Sean Hannity do anything really substantive, except stay on message for the same talking points again and again.
So, while I agree that Beck steps on his tool way too often, the fact remains that he is, in the main, useful.

Posted by: daskinner | February 24, 2011 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Jennifer,

If your definition of a "mainstream conservative" is someone who sugarcoats the truth and is not sincere in their beliefs, then Glenn Beck is definitely not a mainstream conservative. Years ago I sent Mr. Beck a number of e-mails suggesting that he "tone it down," and that some of the stuff about which he spoke would become a self-fulfilling prophesy. As I began to see a lot of things that he had predicted falling into place, I began to realize that Mr. Beck is a brilliant, self-taught individual, who genuinely loves America. Yes, he makes a good living doing what he does, and he's entitled to so do. As some of you so-called conservatives smugly sit there and watch America's liberty and sovereignty being destroyed, you can comfort yourselves as we descend to the status of a Third-World Nation by stating, "I certainly wasn't a Glenn Beck." Unlike many Americans, I don't apologize for liking Glenn, and believing that he's sincere about what he believes, and also believing that he researches that about which he speaks. Many of you Beck-haters would do well to at least hold yourselves to the same standards of research and honesty.

Posted by: mglaser | February 24, 2011 6:53 PM | Report abuse

I watch Beck daily. I am also a pro-Israel conservative republican Jew and a fan of Kristol. I agree with JR more than I agree with Beck, but one thing is certain, Beck is not an anti-semite, and he is an ardent supporter of Israel. Where Jennifer is dead wrong in her attacks on Beck (which I believe to be insincere), is her focus on things Beck says wrong out of ignorance about Judaism, which JR proceeds to characterize as anti-semitism. Beck is right more than he is wrong. The end of the world is not upon us, but his analysis of those who would do us harm (intentionally or by following a socialist agenda) is usually spot-on, from Soros to Vann Jones to Cass Sunstein to Obama himself. And while I would not compare reform Judaism to radical Islam, I would compare many of its Rabbis's to George Soros, Medea Benjamin, and their ilk - see:

Going after Beck for street cred is a bad strategy Jennifer

Posted by: barondavis | February 24, 2011 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Beck = "useful idiot"

Posted by: linda87 | February 24, 2011 6:57 PM | Report abuse

A Glenn Beck has been created by the mainstream media's dereliction of their traditional role of government watchdog. As to the notion of Beck speaking for mainstream conservatives - what a silly notion! Glenn Beck speaks for Glenn Beck.

Posted by: alexandria6351 | February 24, 2011 6:58 PM | Report abuse

I started listening to Beck on a regular basis after 8/28 to see (hear) what all the fuss was about. I seriously doubt Rubin has done the same. What I have heard from Beck is analysis and humor coupled with his statement (consistently) that he hoped and still hopes he is wrong. He has not predicted a caliphate so far as I have heard. He has pointed out that many radical Islamists would love to have one however, and to ignore that fact is to be an useful idiot. I cringed at hearing his comparison of Reform Judaism and radical Islam, but even he has admitted that it was a stupid analogy, and he has apologized. I've yet to hear any MSNBC or other lefty apologize for their mistakes. As Dennis Prager states, "Being liberal means never having to say your sorry." My guess is that Mrs. Rubin would be more "liberal" about this post than "conservative."

Posted by: mjmckinley | February 24, 2011 7:02 PM | Report abuse

hey jen did you notice petey uses soros funded media matters to beat up on beck. you need a cluebat.

Posted by: engdre | February 24, 2011 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Glenn Beck is a wackadoodle out there to suck up the oxygen from all critics of Republicans. He is there to make Charles Krauthammer and O'Reilly look reasonable.

Posted by: privacy5 | February 24, 2011 7:44 PM | Report abuse

"Rather than reflexively rising to his defense when questioned about Beck, why don't conservatives call him out and explain that he doesn't represent the views of mainstream conservatives? "

you're not THE VOICE of conservatism and neither is beck.

Posted by: engdre | February 24, 2011 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FreeDem | February 24, 2011 6:33 PM
----------------
Part interesting point, part, well, the lunatic fringe you refer to. I think one could make a good argument that Clinton made it to the right of Nixon (harder to support the view that he was to the right of JFK, however) and in some respects Ike. Goldwater? I'd like to see you try. Obama? To the right of any of them? You have got to be kidding. I'd love to hear you support that one.

Posted by: paco33 | February 24, 2011 8:04 PM | Report abuse

There's no mainstream anything anymore, so there's nothing to police. Except for elected officials, or those who hope to be, everyone is speaking for themselves and whoever agrees with them at that moment. The only thing we need to be united and clear about is incitements to violence, which Beck is never guilty of. It's very liberating to realize this, because then I can listen to Glenn Beck or anyone else and say "yes, he's right about that...that's a new way to think about it... that's crazy... I'm going to check that out..." Etc., without having to check his or my ideological passport to see if it is stamped "true conservative." Beck adds a lot to the discussion (who would have noticed Van Jones?), and as someone else mentioned, he can be hilarious (on the radio at least, I've never watched the TV show).

Posted by: adam62 | February 24, 2011 9:59 PM | Report abuse

I totally agree with you Jennifer. I can't stand to listen to his self righteous hectoring. I urge my fellow conservatives to run away from him and fast.

Posted by: cajunkate | February 24, 2011 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, Pete, to point this out, but neither shy am I:

"In the past few weeks Glenn Beck has spoken about the coming caliphate that he believes is about to envelope most of the world."

All well and good, but that should be "envelop", the v.t., not "envelope" the noun.

Posted by: aardunza | February 24, 2011 10:11 PM | Report abuse

I don't recall any conservative speaking out against the equally crazy Norman Podhoretz who wrote about the coming 4th World War. I even recall that the supposedly sober Bill "Slots" Bennett had Podhoretz on his radio show to promote the book. It's also correct to point out Beck's paranoia but why has no one spoken out about the terrifying vision of Fats Limbaugh? Just today, I heard a woman call Hannity's show and spew World Nut Daily lies about Pres. Obama without a murmur of dissent from Sean.

Posted by: piniella | February 24, 2011 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Me think Bizarro world, not Bizzaro...will put coffee back in microwave so can blow on it again to cool it down!

Posted by: aardunza | February 24, 2011 10:18 PM | Report abuse

HOW did that extra "blow" get in there?! Bug in software IDE edit box; need to remake under updated version with fix.

Posted by: aardunza | February 24, 2011 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Talk about crazy -- that brush cut is sooo Sergeant Carter. Pyyyle! (If I'm out-of-date, sorry, got no TV, and apologies to all.)

Posted by: aardunza | February 24, 2011 10:31 PM | Report abuse

That double-stick Callophane is insidious and I can't calibrate or celebrate the celibate. But I can clap erasers as good as Ellen Tibbetts or Mitt in the woolen underwear.

Posted by: aardunza | February 24, 2011 10:42 PM | Report abuse

There's a guy at the Y where I work out who's kind of Sean's gray-haired twin; I said, you look like that guy on Fox News, and he said, Hannity, yeah I get that all the time. He said he also looks enough like the ISU football coach to be called out by fans when wearing sunglasses and visiting the mens room at the Hilton Colosseum. Don't follow the sport enough so I took his word for it.

Posted by: aardunza | February 24, 2011 10:57 PM | Report abuse

This needs to be said. When Beck was on HLN, I thought he was funny, informative and enetertaining. But what is true about political leaders, apparently is true about the pundit-class. Absolute Power corrupts absolutely. Forgive my armchair psychiatry, but he is a bit unhinged. He tries to top his previous outrageous charge, with new and more exotic claims. His specialty is doom and gloom and some vague notion of redemption His show should be renamed Apocalypse Now. He also has an annoying habit of making the moral equivalent argument (popular on the left) that equates radical leftist with anyone to the left of Ron and Rand Paul. Quite a disturbing metamorphosis.

Posted by: TheStatistQuo | February 25, 2011 12:13 AM | Report abuse

One of the great things about being a knuckle-dragging conservative is the diversity of opinion on the right. Pundits on the left do seem to have fewer differences with each other -- that’s been the case pre- and post-JournoList -- and I suppose that helps them send a more powerful message to the public, but right-wingers do like to go at it with each other, usually in a polite fashion, expanding ideas, describing foundations, formulating critiques, and the like. It’s quite exhilarating observing keen minds rationally dissecting their agreements and differences soberly and with mutual respect.

I’ve listened to Beck occasionally over the years and regard his recent efforts as helpful in reinforcing the notions of self-reliance, knowledge of the nation’s founders and their thinking, preparation for bad times, and so forth.

On Sirius radio I did catch snippets of his TV show over the past two weeks and found his discussion of the twelfth imam important in the sense that he stressed that one need not believe what Iran’s leadership believes about the mahdi, but to understand that they really believe it, i.e., they can bring about his appearance by creating widespread chaos, and nuking Israel would kill a couple of birds with one mega-stone.

I also heard him compare the twelfth imam story to Revelations, but I took that merely as an instructional aid for Christians. He also pointed out the Christian belief that the events of Revelations would happen when they happened, but that Shia believed they could cause the return of the mahdi by raising a heckuva ruckus. Revelations also had less bloodshed, or at least fewer headless corpses, in Beck’s telling.

I should note that I did spend some time in a Catholic seminary where we regarded Revelations, what we called the Apocalypse, as just one of the possible results of spending too much time alone on a desert isle. In short, Catholics don’t spend a lot of time thinking about that particular book of the New Testament.

Why listen to the leftists? Make a deal with them: when they denounce the communists, we’ll start denouncing some of our own. Have they not noticed that things just don’t go real well when the commies come to power? Other than the drab clothing and empty store shelves, there is the small matter of murders and the like. Will they lead the way in eradicating Che T-shirts? Until they do, we can ignore their calls for us to purge our ranks.

Posted by: SCMike1 | February 25, 2011 12:27 AM | Report abuse

Glenn Beck apologizes for pushing false information at least two times per week. Why is Roger Ailes backing Glenn Beck? Murdock backs Glenn Beck for the money, but Roger Ailes has political ambitions, so why is Roger Ailes aways arriving at Glenn Beck's defense, especially when it comes to pushing false news?

Thomas Chi
Author
PresidentSarah.Net

Posted by: ThomasChi | February 25, 2011 2:05 AM | Report abuse

Oh dear, Jenny. You actually believed YOUR belief system was archetypal of modern-day American conservatism? I'm afraid not -- try paying more attention to your party and you'll see that Beck-esque extremism is quickly becoming the norm, not the exception.

To be fair to Beck, he's only parroting what the idiot haredi clowns on the outskirts of Jerusalem say when they compare secular and reform to Palestinian suicide bombers.

Posted by: curtisjasper | February 25, 2011 2:52 AM | Report abuse

Glen Beck is a Christian and thus is prone to use Christian imagery and symbols.
Big surprise there.
Glen Beck is also an entertainer who amuses and deliberately provokes his audiences with sarcasm, innuendo, humor, and occasional insight.
Look folks, Glen's on TV, what do you expect?
Glen Beck has a flawed understanding of Judaism and the significance of the various Jewish movements and sects. Unfortunately and not too surprising, far too many Jews have an equally flawed understanding of Judaism and often intrepret the Jewish Faith to be only a matter of descendance, gastronomics, or a Liberal political viewpoint.
I would hate to think that any one person or coterie would even aspire, much less claim to be a spokesman for any movement as wide, diverse, and ethnically and religiously varied as the Conservative movement.
Regarding Glen Beck and the Jews, and I am a religious Jew, I find all of Glen's missteps and inconsistencies regarding Jews and Judaism to be honest mistakes and the result of good intentions.
What bothers me more is that so many Liberal and usually secular Jews will unfairly and savagely attack anyone, even other Jews, who dares to disagree with them or hold views contrary to theirs.
I would remind these Jews that the expression "The Chosen People" always meant that God held us to a higher standard of responsibility, justice and morality, not that God meant we were better than anyone else.

Posted by: Beniyyar | February 25, 2011 3:43 AM | Report abuse

"So what should thoughtful conservatives do?"

One thing they could TRY to do is offer a thoughtful and responsible analysis of the 'progressive' movement that substantively examines and, where necessary, refutes the FACTS & INFORMATION contained in the 95% of Beck's presentation that fails to yield an easy target for "responsible" conservatives out to discredit Beck as not one of them.

Posted by: kbash33 | February 25, 2011 5:44 AM | Report abuse

To put it another way ...

"Glenn Beck doesn't speak for mainstream conservatives"

Okay ... who DOES speak for mainstream conservatives on the TOPICS Beck addresses on his TV/radio shows?

For example, should mainstream conservatives be interested in the history of progressivism in this country, its current trajectory and influence, its objectives, how its organized to pursue them, who its leaders are, and what relationships they have, if any, to our elected officeholders?

If so, where should mainstream conservatives go to find thoughtful, responsible analysis on these topics?

Posted by: kbash33 | February 25, 2011 6:07 AM | Report abuse

Good for you, Jennifer. I expected to read your piece and find you criticizing Beck, but not advising your fellow conservatives to police themselves. That really might be a first. As someone who grew up in a state that alternated parties with governors and whose parents, although generally Democrats, voted for whomever they truly thought was the best candidate, I'm appalled by today's narrative, which has posited the parties against each other like soccer teams in Britain with the attendant warring fans.

I will always be a Democrat at heart, but in my lifetime, I have never felt as much animosity towards and from the opposition. A great deal of that has to do with the language and attitude of people like Beck and his followers. The man is quite clearly unbalanced and what he is preaching has very little to do with rational thought. In the past, it was useful to hear members of the parties debate, because it clarified the issues. That is no longer the case. Egged on by the tv jocks in their extremity, the hard right has made it impossible for such debates to take place in a way that would be edifying for the public. Basta, enough already.

Posted by: Koko3 | February 25, 2011 7:51 AM | Report abuse

@daskinner: I agree that Beck, for all his faults, asks the right questions whereas Hannity merely mouths talking points (often the same talking points night after night after night). Beck's unpredictability is interesting, Hannity's predictability is tiresome. I tend to turn Beck off when he gets all preachy and apocalyptic because if I wanted to listen to that, I have a church I could go to. But I find him riveting when he discusses events in American history I never learned in school, such as the huge role that blacks played during the Revolution. Wish he'd do more of that and less of the preachy stuff.

Posted by: theothercheek | February 25, 2011 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Well said Ms. Rubin.

Posted by: *JRapp | February 25, 2011 8:06 AM | Report abuse

I believe Beck is onto something, I could, would never have faith in progressives as they are children, never taking responsibility for what they say or do. Further more they push adult situtions on children, thus robbing them of their childhood and right to be respected and protected, If we are able to end the teachers unions we would greatly stand up for our children and stop the using of them as pawns for the lefts power and moeny grab.

Posted by: boski66 | February 25, 2011 8:43 AM | Report abuse

I don't like Beck's particular brand of apocalyptic prophetizing, but Rubin shows that the cabal is still at work when she refers to Wehner as "Pete." Let's face it, the Jews in the world of Commentary aren't used to evangelical-style politics except when it's branded by Marx.

I think Glenn is great for going into crevasses that the main-sequence liberalism of Howard Zinn leftist twaddle history completely overlooks, such as the VERY strange tale of Woodrow Wilson, one of our very WORST presidents. Trotsky actually COINED the term 'fellow-traveller' referring to Woodrow W. on a visit to NYC in 1915 to Bukharin, who was holed up there hiding from the Okhrana.

I wouldn't waste ammunition on Beck if I were Rubin, since Glenn has done us all a great favor by rooting out commies like Sunstein, Van Jones, Andy Stern, and a few other unaccountable 'czars' appointed by the Indonesian Imbecile.

For that alone, Glenn deserves an Order of Merit with oak leaf clusters.

Posted by: djman1141 | February 25, 2011 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Yes Glenn Beck is sometimes repetitive. Sometimes he makes mistakes but not often for a man that does a live show 3 hours a day 5 days a week. Sometimes he goes to the edge on his predictions of the turmoil that might occur. One thing is sure Jen. Glenn Beck has done more to save this country than you, wehnner, commentary magazine and probably the Washington post combined times 10. He has exposed the left wing in this country for what it is and the danger it poses to our republic. He has raised public awareness and is partially responsible for the republican electoral victory in 2010. For you to join msnbc in attacking him makes you look petty , small and insignificant. I respect you as a writer and a true conservative but this does not help the cause it only hurts it. Please reevaluate your position on Beck, give it some true reflection and you can write another piece admitting your mistake and apologize as Beck did,

Posted by: eddiehaskall | February 25, 2011 9:25 AM | Report abuse

I find it interesting that Beck...actually lists his occupation as "entertainer...like in comedy"

But for a person who has a very long and complex history of being a drug addict and mental patient..he is doing quite well for himself...but it is still COMEDY..

Posted by: meyer390 | February 25, 2011 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Jennifer: I begin with a simple question. Have you ever watched a full hour of Beck? Have you ever watched him for one week?

I am consistently astonished by people who are certain of Beck's lunacy, bigotry and hatred, who have never done more than read a Media Matters press release.

Beck doesn't get it right everytime. No one does. But he tries really hard. And when he's wrong, he admits it. He confuses the media establishment types because his thinking is non-traditional. That makes it seem more like fantasy than reality.

After the protests started in Egypt, Beck put up a map of the Middle East, predicting that demonstrations would roil nations all the way to India.

India?

I thought, "Beck, you're stretching..." But sure enough, there were food demonstrations in India - as well as every other country that Beck had signaled.

Beck is ridiculed for using the word "caliphate." I dont share his view that Muslim extremists winning across the middle east is the most likely, but it is possible. And the last "caliphate" in the form of the Ottoman empire was abolished only in 1923 -- look it up.

Crucially, Beck takes people at their word. As Americans, we tend to marginalize extremism as the fringe and then discount it. So when Iran's president welcomes the 12th Imam and calls for the destruction of Israel, we think he's laughing off stage at how rediculous he's been.

The scary thing here is that people really believe that way. Not accepting them at their word is dangerous for our policy.

Beck is an unconventional thinker and that is what makes him contoversial. But I watch because over time, it is clear that he has been a better predictor of future events than mainstream analysts.

And the beauty of Beck is that I don't have to believe a word he says. No one else on TV so often invites me to do my own homework. Indeed urges me NOT to believe him. To find the truth for myself.

Beck lastest saying is that "Truth has no agenda." Simple, easy and consequential.

Maybe you should watch a few episodes before calling him and extremist.

It's easy to throw around labels. The least you can do is put as much reserach and effort into tagging Beck as he does preparing each day for his show.

Posted by: CoughlinC | February 25, 2011 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Ms. Rubin is correct, he doesn't speak for mainstream conservatives. He speaks for mainstream neoconservatives.

True conservatives see Beck as an idiot. Now that he's apologized I'm we'll see how "forgiving" necons are.

Conservatives tend to be more forgiving. It's a judeo-christian values thing that neocons don't understand.

Posted by: mfray | February 25, 2011 10:34 AM | Report abuse

All Beck is doing is showing us the videos and audio of what these radicals are saying and they certainly are advocating an Islamic Caliphate. If you can't see that then your not being objective.

I have watched and listened to Glenn for some time now and he truly loves his country. Our leaders seem immune to what is going on in the world. If you don't think what is going on in the Middle East is dangerous, then once again you are not being objective.

I, too, as Glenn says, hope he and many of us are wrong but history tells us the Islamic world hates our way of life and are patient enough to take us over from within. We should be scared. Just look at the young man apprended this week who had President Bush's home in Dallas on his target list. These are evil people. Come on Muslim moderates, where are you?

Posted by: Jackets | February 25, 2011 10:49 AM | Report abuse

rubin and wehner's criticism of glen beck, the archtypical contemporary republican luminary, reminds me of dr. strangelove's attempts to control his right arm.

Posted by: jimfilyaw | February 25, 2011 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Jennifer:

I believe you are correct about Glenn Beck - however, please note that Glenn's public persona and style have evolved. He perhaps peaked a year ago, when he ran "Founders Fridays" on his TV show and helped shoot "The Road to Serfdom" to #1 on Amazon. He was certainly right about Van Jones or the connections between ACORN, public sector unions, and the Obama Administration. It is only in recent months that he has begun overstating his case and sounding overly conspiratorial. It is very difficult to ride the line between energetic and entertaining advocacy versus demagogic ranting, and unfortunately Glenn has crossed it.

I agree that the Right should police itself for the sake of their own belief in truth and effective advocacy. However, it's important that we keep this at the level of the "marketplace of ideas" rather than let it devolve into ad hominum attacks.

Respectfully,

Chuck O'Leary - Free American

Posted by: Free_American | February 25, 2011 11:02 AM | Report abuse

I don't listen to Beck other than what is shown on other news shows when he really falls into it. I have no clue what is up with this guy but some meds might be able to settle him down a bit. Whatever the problem is, having read some of your posts, it only confirms for me that our country is in trouble. I don't mean from the caliphate or the anti-christ or terrorism or the economy. The greatest threat to our national security right now is the division being created by our own people like of the Becks, and Palins and Limbaughs who think they know something none of the rest of us know. Please, these people contribute nothing. They are not good Americans, they don't love their country, they are not patriotic. THEY DO IT FOR THE MONEY & THEY ARE LAUGHING AT YOU IDIOTS THAT LISTEN AND BELIEVE THEM ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK! Get a clue people. To the Republicans, Democrats are not your enemy. Democrats, Republicans are not your enemy. Not unless they are trying to harm you & there's the rub. There are those in both parties who are trying to cause harm. Why? Power, control. Glen Beck is one of those. I could easily shrug him and his kind off except for the every growing division their message is sending and the danger they are creating. Its all about scaring people and creating mistrust and doubt. The problem with that is when the unhinged get scared, somebody gets hurt. And this anti-christ business, Obama is not the anti-christ - The anti-christ spoken about in Scripture will have great powers and if Obama is the antichrist, what pray tell do the Republicans think they can do to thwart him??? People use these tactics to drum up fear and they prey on the weak minded. Both sides do it, but the kind of republicans we have now are over the top. They have no filter whatsoever. They want people to mistrust and suspect Pres. Obama of all manner of things - he's a Muslim, not a citizen, maybe the anti-christ - oooo, listen to me, if the republicans had confidence in their own message, they wouldn't need to use these tactics. Let me repeat that - if they had confidence in their own message, they wouldn't need to drag down their opponent with the outrageous. I've completely lost respect for the lot of them. These tactics are not patriotic and it certainly is not a Christian attribute. In fact, God says it is one of the 7 things He hates. (Look it up) It is my fervant hope that Mr. Beck would have a real epiphony & realize the chasm his message is creating among the American people and how that weakens the country as a whole. I'm not holding my breath on that though b/c this dude is on some self-grandising trip in his own head which is scary. Look people, these nay sayer, fear mongering know nothings are not worthy of your time. Move on and concentrate your efforts on unifying our nation and progressing our nation forward. Hold your elected officials accountable and listen closely to what they say. It matters.

Posted by: bluedogdem1 | February 25, 2011 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Earlier this AM, in this thread, Benniyar stated that Beck is a Christian, but also provokes his audience with sarcasm, and inuendo, among other things. Somehow the description in Webster's Colligiate Dictionary of "Christian" does not bring Beck to mind. CHRISTIAN-one who professes
belief the in the teachings of Jesus Christ. Even though Beck wraps himself in his self ordained testimonies of being a Christian, he is a blasphemous, irreverent, fraudulant charlatan. He does what he does for one reason only, for the millions he is amassing, leading the brain-lavaged astray. He is the total opposite of the Christ I know.

Posted by: patriotgmalou | February 25, 2011 12:15 PM | Report abuse

bluedogdem1-That was eloquent. You should be writing the editorials and opinions. It is so great to know I am not the only one who feels like this. I am truly afraid of what we are becoming as a nation, afraid and heart-broken. God Bless you compadre.

Posted by: patriotgmalou | February 25, 2011 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Glenn Beck, Limbaugh, Palin, so many others in the MSM, PLUS the Tea Party and it's success, are all contibuting to the implosion of the Conservative Mainstream.
Their decades stranglehold on the wealth, power and control in this nation is evaporating. In this respect, I must admit that maybe God is actually at work here, but it seems so much easier to deem the devil is in details. It is the age-old
duel between the two, and we must keep the faith.

Posted by: patriotgmalou | February 25, 2011 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Conservatives may not believe what Beck is saying but they pat their feet to the same music and they sing loudly in the choir. I'm white and over 72, and I spent a lot of time overseas in the military where I found myself defending this country from anti-American claiming that we were a racist nation. I told people in England, Germany, Italy, Vietnam and more that the race problem was over blown by Anti Americans in their own country. Now! I find myself in the awful predicament of believing everything people overseas ever said about America. We are basically a country with deep racist problems, and in defense of those lies, we are spinning a tangle of lies trying to recreate our history to fit the big lies that we want our children to believe. I'm glad I don't have to go back and face my friends over there. I would really be ashamed to have to admit that those anti-American lies were alas true.

Posted by: oren1956 | February 25, 2011 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Patriotgmalou - I've been sounding this alarm for a good while now - until people get killed no one listens. I pray for the survivors of the Tucson shooting everyday as well as our President and lawmakers, both red and blue. Fear is a tool of satan and when we buy into that, we are in his grasp. After fear comes hate. In the words of our President, whether you like him or not, America can do better than this. America is exceptional and American can do big things. We need to take that to heart and shield ourselves from the kind of people who use fear as their tool.

Posted by: bluedogdem1 | February 25, 2011 3:47 PM | Report abuse

@Adam62: "The only thing we need to be united and clear about is incitements to violence, which Beck is never guilty of."

Are you referring to the Glenn Beck who famously "joked" on air about putting poison in Nancy Pelosi's wine?

The fellow who said that his response to a fantasy scenario forcing children to take vaccines would be "meet Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson"?

The self-proclaimed "progressive hunter" who bashed the Tides Foundation repeatedly as "thugs" and "bullies" and insisted that their mission was “warp your children's brains and make sure they know how evil capitalism is"? Because that's the guy who inspired his loyal fan Byron York to decide to assassinate employees at the foundation in July 2010; he wounded two police officers in the ensuing shoot-out.

After reading all of these comments by Beck apologists, no doubt someone will insist that he was only joking (because ha-ha, poisoning jokes are so funny), that he's just an entertainer, that it's not his fault that unhinged people take him seriously.

I'm awfully curious about your definition of "extremist," not to mention "Christian."

Posted by: BlueDog1 | February 25, 2011 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Beck is an utter crackpot. His fans are whom PT Barnum referred to when he said a sucker is born every minute (second). His fake history can only be taken seriously by a total ignoramus or a complete crackpot is totally unconcerned about the truth. Since the average con these days is barely literate narrow minded person who "education" is mainly talk radio and FOX< they lack the intellect, information and integrity to see Beck for the fake he is.

For instance, his linking Nazism to Progressives (an undefined expandable group of people an uneducated low class Mormon jerk doesn't like) in America is such rubbish that I thought people were joking when they started running their moronic mouths about how the Nazis were learning stuff from Wilson and Lippman. Well since the Nazis used machine guns, aircraft, and barbed wire, all invented in the USA, maybe he needs to discuss links between Maxim, Wright and Hitler too.

Posted by: jonaspell | February 25, 2011 10:48 PM | Report abuse

I am discouraged at all the people who praise Beck for teaching them things they never knew about the founders and this country’s history. The truth is, about fifty percent of Beck’s historical facts are accurate, twenty-five percent are questionable, and the remaining twenty-five percent are complete and utter historical revisions.

I actually do watch him often because I live with someone who saturates herself in all things Beck. I have heard him say the most ridiculous things about our founders, yet she believes every word he utters, and refuses to look at actual proof.

For example, on June 4, 2010 during one of his "Founder's Fridays," Beck said of Benjamin Franklin, “He believed in revealed religion.” I about fell out of my chair when I heard that, because, in fact, Franklin had clearly stated just the opposite in his autobiography, where he wrote: “Revelation had, indeed, no weight with me as such. . . .”

That certainly was not the only grossly inaccurate “historical fact” Beck claimed that day, and on every other FF I have watched. Therefore, if you are truly interested in the nation’s history, including the history of its founders, Beck is the LAST person you should rely on.

Posted by: rspetersen2009 | February 25, 2011 11:11 PM | Report abuse

This is a your side vs. my side debate again. I detest the pundits on the left as much as you guys hate Rush, Glenn and Sean… The left has many more extremists who actually hold positions in our dear leader’s cabinet as well as other useful idiots (Van Jones, Trumka, Sunstein etc) that can cause far more damage than Glenn does nightly.

The main difference is the sheer number of newsrags, such as yours, and news channels, that tilt dangerously left, and as such we’re treated far too often to these ridiculous opinion pieces.

Jennifer, instead of focusing on Glenn, I suggest you do a piece on the always exciting & entertaining Communist and Socialist parties, both were invited and protested with the union in Wisconsin.. The fact that the left keeps ignoring those stories says far more about your bias. But don’t worry, we in this center right nation already know that you’re ilk has become incapable of reporting both sides of the story fairly.

Posted by: catherineusa | February 26, 2011 8:36 AM | Report abuse

what do you expect from a man who call a sitting president a racist and get away with it he's a product of fox the fony news station fair and unbalance mark sanchez a real reporter lose his job because he spoked the truth this fool a ex alcholic gets time on the radio and t.v.to spew total lies and garbage and he makes 32 mil a year wow god do bless america the white and the free that bastard needs to be pull off the air.

Posted by: blandshawmichael | February 26, 2011 8:40 AM | Report abuse

The irony I see in Beck's apology for his "poor analogy" is the failure of his followers to see the real analogy here - the one between Beck and Osama bin Laden. Beck clearly resembles that other snake in the cave whose forked tongue and unpredictable video rantings strike with equal venom and follow the identical model adopted by all false prophets. Those who have studied such figures in history and all the fascinating sociological themes that surround them - from Hitler to McCarthy - are fully aware of the tune by now, it goes like this:
- an angrily delivered list (generally including several items rather than just a few to ensure attracting a larger audience)
- is held up as the latest example of what "they"(one may insert here the scornful term you've coined for "they")
- have done to injure "us" (this part about "we have been wronged" is the recurring medley in this tune and the movement's motivation)
- followed by a generous tossing out of all convenient scapegoats who don't resemble "us" -
all of which generates the great nodding of heads in the herd and seals with certainty their adoration and allegiance to the great leader who has satisfied their longing for immediate, simple answers that relieve them of any responsibility of having to think through complex issues themselves.
Recall how in March, 2010 Mr. Beck called upon his sheep to look for the writings of infidels who have infiltrated our houses of worship - pleading with them in dramatic style to inspect the reading materials, educational resources, and website of their own churches and look for such phrases as "social justice"!

Issuing a directive to his obedient "brown shirts" in this manner Beck is in perfect accord with the guidebook for establishing a totalitarian state - shaking his finger, warning that this latest item added to our perpetually growing List of Prohibited Things was worthy of our fear (surely one worthy of an evening of book burning or perhaps, eventually, a kristallnacht) since "this is, I tell you for certain, this is nothing more than deception, nothing more than code for a liberal, socialist philosophy."
I considered that we might be able to dismiss Mr. Beck's ignorance, him being a Mormon and all (I'm not sure - is Christ's Sermon on the Mount in the Book of Mormon?) Regardless, I am prayerful that Beck and his lot have at least heard of the sermon's Beatitudes. Perhaps more importantly, understand that Sermon's point about the specific type of human behaviors that bring about 'beatitude' - a word meaning true happiness. Trust me, Mr. Beck, Christ's call to social justice - "Love Thy Neighbor" and "Give to anyone who asks of you..." bears little resemblance to the philosophy you prescribe nightly to your viewers to "Love thy Nation with unquestioning, blind allegiance and to Hell with Everybody Else either too weak or unwilling to march with us toward the Triumph of our Will." By the way, Hitler delivered that fascist philososophy much more eloquently.

Posted by: twloessin1 | February 26, 2011 9:51 AM | Report abuse

hey thatavkguy what if glen is %100 right then what??

Posted by: deveinmadisonva | February 26, 2011 11:03 AM | Report abuse

First Sarah Palin and now Glenn Beck have had run-ins with Jewish Americans. The mainstream conservatives used them both to win an off-cycle election, and now hopefully both will be tossed aside like a used tissue now that a major, wealthy constituency has been offended.

Posted by: armyofone | February 26, 2011 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Firstly, like many of the framers of the constitution, I'm a deist, and have little time for stories of Jesus, Abraham, or Muhommad, but find it almost entertaining that Beck would come dangerously close to the recent anti-semitic comments of libertarian celebs as Mel Gibson & Charlie Sheen.
Having worked in the entertainment world most of my adult life, I've grown quite comfortable with the fact that Jews own & run 90% of the media. But am also aware that Jews (who only constitute about 6% of the U.S.'s population), also hold some 80% of the top posts within our federal government.
Unfortunately, Jews have been the target of envy for centuries. The are a dedicated, hard working people, who rarely settle for mediocrity, and were it not the Jews, resentment would likely be directed at the Baptists, if they ran the boat.
But Beck (having so many broadcast hours to fill, competitors to topple), has come perilously close to naming Jews to his list of the "suspicious", which would be of great concern to me, were my name "Rubin!"

Posted by: ReasonableWon | February 26, 2011 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Well, I'm a bleeding-heart, dangerously left-leaning news hound, and I've barely even heard of Cindy Sheehan. This is possibly because, at a casual glance, she is pants-on-head retarded and having trouble keeping a weekly news show on the air. She's nowhere. Blaming Democrats for not shouting her down would be like me writing a letter to the RNC to complain about the Time Cube guy.

Conservatives, meanwhile, are forced to wear Beck like an ugly hat, whether they want to or not. Even after you manage to shuck yourselves of his influence, he'll still be walking off with millions.

Posted by: SolaB | February 26, 2011 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Glenn Beck like most Christians since the days of the crusades have always looked to Muslims instead of Pagans and idol worshippers for an anti Christ.

Muslims are not Anti Christ, in fact they are very much pro Christ.

Islam believes in Jesus as a true prophet of GOD/Allah and the Bible as a true book of GOD/ALLAH.

In fact Sunni Muslims await the 2nd coming of Christ, not sure about Shia?

Muslims believe Mary was a virgin, and Muslims believe in the Trinity and the Holy spirit.

It is the Hindus, and Budhhists and other idol worshipping religions that do not believe in Jesus.

Glen Beck a big fool. He is constantly fooled by the devil to attack the good people.

Posted by: nowthetruth | February 27, 2011 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Beck is simply a function of what he thinks his audience wants to hear him say. He's good at it. Like a slick evangelical tent revivalist, he performs his sophistry for a fairly large audience segment that likes to be told abut stuff they secretly believe.

Posted by: chmiller1 | February 28, 2011 3:26 AM | Report abuse

"Beck had to apologize for comparing Reform Judaism to radical Islam."
I think you've got this wrong. Beck didn't have to do anything. Chide him for his original remarks, but give him credit for admitting that he blew it.

Posted by: madduxfan | February 28, 2011 9:40 PM | Report abuse

"Beck had to apologize for comparing Reform Judaism to radical Islam."

Posted by: madduxfan | February 28, 2011 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Lou, you are an unabashed idiot. Where were you when that moron w who was appointed by the supreme court broke every law in the nation and enriched haliburton and other contractors due to nepotism. You and the other teabagheadnazilunatics are now awake after having been asleep under that moron w. Crawl back under your rocks, all of you know nothing and proud of it thugs.

Posted by: letemhaveit | March 3, 2011 1:24 PM | Report abuse