Posted at 12:00 PM ET, 02/ 3/2011

Thursday feature: A turn to lighter fare

By Jennifer Rubin

Politics can be serious business, but it is also great fun, in part because of the characters who take part in it. So, every Thursday at noon Right Turn is going to have some fun with conservative heavy-hitters. We're going to ask non-political questions of figures you know and give you their answers on everything from their most memorable trip to their ideal weekend day. The line-up may change from week to week. (If you are a conservative newsmaker, it isn't too late to get in on the fun.) If readers have ideas for future questions, put them in the comments section.

This week we ask: What's your favorite sport to play and to watch?

Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wisc.) (chairman of the House Budget Committee): "Packers & Badgers football can't be beat; I played soccer as a kid, enjoy playing soccer with my kids -- also working out with my colleagues in Congress each morning."

Tucker Carlson (editor in chief of the Daily Caller): "Squash, to watch and play. Mock me if you will, but nothing gets you sweatier faster."

Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell: "To watch, football. To play, golf."

Dana Perino (former White House press secretary, currently a Republican consultant): "To watch -- football. I like the energy of the game, the way the NFL has marketed the whole sport as something wholly American and good. But I can't play it. I can't play much of anything -- but I am taking tennis lessons and aspire one day to be able to actually play a game."

Peter Robinson (Ronald Reagan speechwriter, Hoover Institute Fellow, and co-founder of the Ricochet website): To watch: "Any sport a child of mine is playing. When my oldest daughter was playing tennis in high school, for example, I became a tennis nut. I don't mean merely that I happily attended her matches. I mean that I watched tennis on television with a sudden, avid interest, watching the U.S. Open live and setting the Tivo to record the French and Australian opens, and even spent good money to attend a number of professional tournaments. Once she left for college, my interest in tennis returned to what I must consider its native or normal level: zero." And to play: "Rowing -- not that I've touched an oar in decades. But when I was studying at Oxford, I rowed for my college, Christ Church, and loved it -- just loved it. In the spring bumps race we rowed down Keble -- or was it Magdalene? -- producing a wonderfully satisfying collision and advancing our position on the river from fourth place (as best I can recall) to third."

Stephen Hayes (senior writer for the Weekly Standard and Fox News analyst): "It's a tie between the NHL (Washington Caps) and the NFL (Green Bay Packers). To play: mountain biking."

By Jennifer Rubin  | February 3, 2011; 12:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Soros blames Jews for Egypt
Next: The GOP field jockeys for position

Comments

Squash, tennis, golf, rowing. What, no polo? :-)

Posted by: coffeetime | February 3, 2011 12:09 PM | Report abuse

@coffeetime:
Squash, tennis, golf, rowing. What, no polo? :-)

Ms Rubin Didn't ask Senator Rubio if he plays polo.

Posted by: skipsailing28 | February 3, 2011 12:21 PM | Report abuse

This is my first comment ever, although I am an avid Right Turn reader. I'd like to know these conservative heavy-hitters' favorite American historical sites.

Being a Philly resident, I hope there are some takers on Independence Hall.

Posted by: NateTie | February 3, 2011 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Rubin is vastly more suited for this kind of pap than she is for insightful political commentary. Worthwhile commentary takes more than just a point . . . at least a minimal amount of subject matter expertise is also required.

Posted by: russellglee | February 3, 2011 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Rubin is vastly more suited for this kind of pap than she is for insightful political commentary. Worthwhile commentary takes more than just a point of view . . . at least a minimal amount of subject matter expertise is also required.

Posted by: russellglee | February 3, 2011 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Russellglee – I followed Ms. Rubin here when she left the Commentary Contentions blog. Her posts are frequently cited by others. While I don’t always agree with her, she does offer insights and arguments not found elsewhere and she writes a whole lot more from scratch than many others do.

Posted by: SCMike1 | February 3, 2011 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Gotta go with croquet. (A Child's Garden of Grass). Sometimes you feel like a member of the English aristocracy; sometimes you feel like God.

Question:
1)Tell us your favorite (or least) constituent story. Bonus pts for a video link ala Gordon Brown.
2) Describe the ugliest tie you ever wore or saw at a dinner party. Or the pyramids of Egypt.
3) What do you do when you gotta go in mid-speech?
4) Who has the largest and smallest feet in Congress?
5) Is Jonah Goldberg's head too big for his body?

Posted by: aardunza | February 3, 2011 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Your mantra is Oon-yelli-mann. Help, I'm locked in the refrigerator!

Posted by: aardunza | February 3, 2011 4:21 PM | Report abuse