Hillary Loses by Winning

PHILADELPHIA -- Somebody, please make it stop.

It's primary night -- again. Barack Obama is on the verge of eliminating Hillary Clinton to win the Democratic presidential nomination -- again. And Clinton -- her campaign broke and written off by the pundits -- wins. Again.

This time it's Pennsylvania -- home of Punxsutawney Phil, the rodent made famous by the movie "Groundhog Day," in which Bill Murray is forced to relive the same day, over and over. So it is with the Democratic Party in this never-ending campaign season.

"Some counted me out and said to drop out," the victorious Clinton declared here Tuesday night, in the latest iteration of her comeback-kid speech. "But the American people don't quit. And they deserve a president who doesn't quit, either."

On other Tuesday nights through the winter and spring, Democrats waited to see whether Obama would finally put it away -- in New Hampshire, in California and the other Super Tuesday states, and then in Ohio and Texas. Each time, Clinton narrowly survived. This time, the candidates had nearly two months to persuade Pennsylvania voters to deliver a definitive result -- and again the race was left in limbo.

Read the whole Sketch

-- Dana Milbank

By Dana Milbank  | April 22, 2008; 10:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bitter Before Bitter Was Fashionable
Next: What the Pentagon Is Hiding

Comments

I have the same ringer, maybe you should check and see if they have a Hillary Death Rattle ringer because thats what I hear every time she wins another primary.

Posted by: Laurenbp | April 24, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse

When is the date of the Clintons' fraud trial going to be announced? Thought it was going public April 26.

Posted by: Eugene | April 28, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Never count the Clintons out. They are fighters. I want a fighter as my President.
President Clinton 2009

Posted by: Harold | April 28, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Yes, the Clinton's are fighters. They are also vicious liars and have the lowest integrity of any politicians in modern history. Is that also what you want in a president???? She will accept funds from anyone and there will be favors given for those donations, ie Columbia's 800k to President Clinton. Please think about it.

Posted by: Char | April 28, 2008 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Francis L. Holland, Esq. | April 28, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

As an Independent, I have closely watched candidates from both parties. Each candidate has strong qualities. However, I see my country is in trouble economically and worldwide. We need a well-rounded experienced dynamic leader who has REAL SOLUTIONS to implement on DAY ONE. I cast my vote for HILLARY CLINTON!!! I urge all Americans to vote wisely during the primaries and the actual election.

Posted by: JoAnn Dunlavey | April 29, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I love Hillary Clinton AND SHE WILL WIN, AND THEN ALL YOU JERKS WHO WERE SO RUDE AND UNFAIR TO HER WILL PAY DEARLY!! As you should!!

Posted by: Katie1263 | April 29, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Katie: Sorry to disappoint you -- HC is NOT going to win the general election!

Posted by: Moey | April 30, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

The comment that all of us that don't support Hillary will "pay dearly" is exactly what changed me from an Arkansas dyed-in-the wool Democrat to a Reagan Republican. The Clintons are not only liars, but vindicative. Is that what we want in our next President? We got enough of that with Richard Nixon and Bill Clinton. This article just reminded me why I need to send money to the Republicans and support John McCain.

Posted by: Former Democrat | May 1, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse