Mistakes were made. But not by him.

Mistakes were made. But not by him.

Doug Feith, the No. 3 man at the Pentagon before, during and after the invasion of Iraq, has come in for his share of blame for the failures there -- in large part because he led the Pentagon policy shop that badly misstated the case for war and bungled the planning for the aftermath. Gen. Tommy Franks called him "the dumbest [bad word] guy on the planet." George Tenet of the CIA called his work on Iraq "total crap." And Jay Garner, once the American administrator in Iraq, deduced that Feith is "incredibly dangerous" and, "He's a smart guy whose electrons aren't connected."

Read the whole Sketch

-- Dana Milbank

By Dana Milbank  | April 25, 2008; 1:01 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: What the Pentagon Is Hiding
Next: Doug Feith Speaks Out

Comments

Feith is so dangerous the college that made the mistake of hiring him has refused to renew his contract. I'm sure he will find a new place to collect his Neocon Welfare. Another book contract or at one of those so-called thinktanks that helped start the war in Iraq to begin with. He should hoe they are willing to pay his lawyers fees if he chooses to travle to Italy or Germany, rumor has it they would love to see him there.

Posted by: SmileySam | April 25, 2008 1:46 AM | Report abuse

I am an intern at CSIS and attended the event last night, and this account by Milbank is an extremely biased and one-sided account. I'm not convinced he even attended the event, and he obviously hasn't read the book. The tone of the event was not the kind of blaming and self-justification that Milbank suggests. One of the panelists, Ikle, did cast some blame, I presume in an attempt to help his friend Feith. But Feith himself was extremely level-headed and fair in his responses to criticisms sent his way. I am half-way through the book, and I recommend it to everyone who is seriously interested in understanding the administration's decisions. Unlike most of the current accounts, Feith's book is heavily documented, and all of the descriptions of the internal debate are backed up with declassified documents. Furthermore, the tone is not the kind of crass self-justification that Milbank dishonestly attests. More so than any other account I have read, Feith tries to present others' arguments fairly. It is an essential read, because regardless of your view of Feith and the Pentagon's role in the Iraq debate, the book contains important new information. I bought the book highly skeptical, having absorbed the slander and criticisms leveled at Feith. But so far I am highly impressed with his fairness, his reasonable and respectful tone, and honestly, considering the kinds of things said about him, his response speaks well of his character. The book does tell a side of the story that has not been heard yet, and it supports this side with real documentation. Please give this book a chance, it is undoubtedly an important contribution to the public understanding of the war. No doubt some will respond to these comments by calling me a neocon or something, but I would like to point out that my praise of the book and its value were echoed last night by James Risen of the New York Times, who was on panel. Had Milbank cared about giving a fair impression to readers about last night's event, he would have mentioned these comments by a consistent critic of the administration, which would encourage his readers to check out the book for themselves and make up their own minds.

Posted by: DHobgood | April 25, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Seems like another Neocon moron self-justifying his criminal activities while in the Bush-Cheney fascist regime.

Posted by: Gafbuff | April 27, 2008 4:36 AM | Report abuse

Yep, Tommy Franks summed it up best.

Posted by: Joe | April 28, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Let's see Rev Wright is Americas enemy but this guy really didn't do anything..

Do I hear you right..

You, Wright and this guy are all idiots.

Posted by: Rick | April 28, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse