Rage, and Love, From Camp McCain

BETHLEHEM, Pa. -- Now, it's personal.

John McCain and Sarah Palin were backstage, and Lehigh County GOP Chairman Bill Platt was warming up the crowd of 6,000 at a rally here for the Republican ticket.

"Think about how you'll feel on November 5 if you wake up in the morning and see the news, that Barack Obama -- that Barack Hussein Obama -- is the president-elect of the United States," Platt said. The audience at the Lehigh University arena booed at the thought of it.

"The number one most liberal senator in the United States of America was, you guessed it, the ambassador of change, Barack Hussein Obama," he added. "This election is about preserving America's past and protecting the promise of its future."

The sage Platt had more information to disclose. "Barack Obama refused to wear an American flag on his lapel," he said of the man who, at the presidential debate the night before, was wearing a flag pin on his lapel. The audience booed. "Barack Obama, a man who wants to be president of the United States of America, removed the American flag from his chest because it was a symbol of patriotism. Perhaps Barack Obama doesn't put country first, but he puts fashion first."

The verbal barrage in the hall must have convinced McCain he was running with a rough crowd.

Read the whole Sketch

-- Dana Milbank

By Dana Milbank  | October 9, 2008; 12:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Open Season on Small Game
Next: The High Cost of Confidence

Comments

People are so sure that Obama is going to win they have already started posting tributes to his Presidency

Watch what the Cameras and Mics didnt show you during the second debate. The F word Shouted in the Debate Hall

Posted by: Anonymous | October 10, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kari | October 10, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

McCain is a done deal, It over for him. He should try to leave this campaign with some dignity. He was the wrong candidate all along, no matter how many RNC puppet endorsements he got. It seems according to a new poll People preffer Huckabee/Palin08 4 to 1 Over McCain/Palin08. Thats what the RNC gets for Rigging the primary, and not letting the stronger candidate win. They wanted a weaker candadite because McCain would be a puppet. Here is the poll http://www.mccanes.com

In a funny twist, right before McCains horrible debate preformance. Huckabee was named Featured Debator of the year by watchdebate.com Pretty ironic huh. http://www.watchdebate.com

Posted by: Anonymous | October 10, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Enough!!! America can't afford any more of this hate and division. I'm worried. McCain and Palin are getting people so aggravated without putting counrty first.

I will certainly NOT vote for McCain now. I was undecided Hillary supporter and will turn off the TV and vote Obama on Nov. 4th.

ENOUGH!!!!!

Posted by: Michelle | October 10, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I am disgusted by the campaign McCain and Palin are running. Its pathetic how low they will sink, and sad that so many of our populace are so bigoted and ignorant. Both have proven they are unfit for office. McCain has destroyed his reputation over a last desperate grab at the Presidency. Palin was a loser to begin with, shallow and uninformed. The only reason she became Governor is by appealing to the same ignorant right-wingers in AK.

Posted by: Michael | October 10, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Obama is the muslim communist with a communist agenda for this great country.Do we need the muslim communist in OUR WH?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 10, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

==================================
McPalinites:
It's called Democracy.
GET A GRIP.
==================================

Posted by: T-Prop | October 10, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

The republican party is even scarier this year than ever. Chants of violence, aggression, and righteous stupidity abound in news stories about the "GOP". McCain is old and outdated, his running mate is a fascist, and they will be left behind.

Posted by: Mike | October 10, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm beginning to wonder if McCain has had a light stroke.

Posted by: J. Woode | October 10, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Obama broke the law when he bought that house in Chicago together with criminal REZKO>Do we need the criminal in OUR WH?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 10, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I think people are frustrated. I think they are angry the media has been so biased..that they haven't reported these things which McCain and Palin are now talking about. Many don't have message boards and blogs to read. So now that there are seeing these things come out they are outraged that they weren't told of this...this is leading to the anger and frustration.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 10, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

McCain is dividing the Country not brining it together! All he talks about is wearing a flag pin on his lapel and a member of the Weather Underground 40 years ago. Board members of nonprofit ogranizations are appointed by the organization not by Obama or any other member. McCain - focus on the issues and you'd have a chance. You said you know how to fix the economy? That's what we need now so speak up!

Posted by: Christine | October 10, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Mike Huckabee seems to be turning his back on McCain? Huckabee has been warning of this economic collapse for some time now, He is not happy with how the government or how McCain is dealing with it.

Some of Huckabee's Supporters are so mad at theyre party they are trying to get him to start a new party, Huckabee is pretty loyal to the GOP so this is doubtful, but it just seems the election is reaching a fever pitch. http://mccanes.com/newparty

Posted by: Anonymous | October 10, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I don't think this country has seen so many hateful reactionary campaign rallies since the days of George Wallace circa 1968. The McCain/Palin ticket is surely unleashing a whole lot of ugly.

If the John McCain of 2000 could see what he's become now, the poor guy would probably throw up.

Posted by: Eric Maundry | October 10, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

"Have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?"

Posted by: Joe | October 10, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I saw some of the news coverage from these rallies and as I was watching I noticed that most of the people in the crowds were anglo-white. As the people and the speakers were chanting that they were angry, yelling, etc., it reminded me of the days of the South and the KKK rallies.

Posted by: JP AUSTIN TX | October 10, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

haha my fellow prisoners. Obama/Biben 08

Posted by: Maria | October 10, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

So this is what the republican party has disolved to--R.I.P.

Posted by: Clarke D | October 10, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

If you put the country first, you would not pick Sara Palin for V.P.

Posted by: Kenny, Richmond, CA | October 10, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Why are there so many 'anonymous' people posting? I think it has to do with the fact that those supporters of republican candidates should all be ashammed of themselves...

If you were a Hillary supporter then you have to vote for Obama, how could you possibly be undecided, look at the alternative, if Hillary thougth her supporters would vote for McCain she would be personally offended.

Posted by: tim sharp | October 10, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

If anyone at a Barack Obama rally yelled "kill him" upon hearing John McCain's name, the GOP would be calling for the Secret Service to arrest Barack Obama. For the life of me, I can't figure out what the GOPers are so mad about. Maybe they should look in the mirror and rage against the image that looks back. The policies by their president (runaway deregulation of exotic financial instruments)have sent the world economy into a tail spin. The 10 trillion dollar national debt is mostly a result of Bush administration borrowing to finance their two on-going wars. Never in our history have we gone to war and cut taxes. So, GOP, look in the mirror. Your invective towards Obama is misplaced.

Posted by: lchance1 | October 10, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Its all a scam people. Until Americans stop buying from Corporations and support Small Local Business, we will continue to suffer. The Corporations, Attoreys and Government are all in bed together to rob you blind and make laws to call the theivery legal. They are the new MOB. Buy Local, Buy American - Stop buying from the Corporations!

Posted by: detmetro | October 10, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Talking about the American flag pin, McCain wasn't wearing a flag pin during the second debate, Obama was!

Posted by: CG | October 10, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

The republican presidental rallies sound a lot like a small man from Venezuela, only they use more hate, since when is either of the men running for president not honorable

Posted by: ben | October 10, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

McCain didn't wear a flag pin during the last debate. Is there a problem with that as well?

Posted by: LWC | October 10, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Mccain is the wife cheater should never be allowed in white house. He is talking about integrity - he is just an a**hole and angry old guy. Who told him WH is an assisted living facility?

Posted by: Jack | October 10, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Maybe I'm too quick to say it, but beligerant nationalism is what Palin is pushing. That is also called fascism. I know that is a scary word and you know it is bad but I know you also really can't define it and that is OK. But suffice it to say that if Palin and her supporters advance down the path, it is the path of fascism.

Posted by: thoren58 | October 10, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I have been a Republican all my of my voting life. This is the FIRST election I've ever seriously doubted my party. They have crossed the line on so many levels with this financial crisis, but now, to have my supposed leader, the president elect behave in such a deplorable way? He and his running mate should be ashamed. His campaign has become so un American. . .so full of hate. I do not want him leading my country. I absolutely DO NOT want his running mate to ever get her hands on what I hold so dear.

I will not vote Republican on this election. I'm so angry at my party and McCain I could scream.

Posted by: Beth | October 10, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

It appears the "straight talk express " has just become the "NEGATIVE TALK " express.

Posted by: e world | October 10, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Retired Pheonix Police Officer John McLamb, has the distinction of being the most highly decorated police officer in the history of Phoenix, Arizona.
McLamb explained that as a Vietnam veteran, he knows and is in contact with veterans, and a few P.O.W.s.

"All the P.O.W.s that I've talked to over the years say that John McCain is a lying skunk...."

"...You know, he never was tortured. When he came in with his two broken arms because he failed to pull his arms in when he bailed out of his plane, and had a leg injury, he immediately started spilling his guts about everything because he didn't want to get tortured..."

McLamb goes on to say that John McCain made 32 videos for the communists, speaking out against America's Vietnam Policies. This information is now sealed and classified.

Posted by: Brave Hero or Traitorous Coward? | October 10, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

The GOP keep stating Obama's full name. Isn't this a practice usually reserved for assassinators? The fear and hate mongering they're encouraging is disgusting. I was undecided, but now I am TOTALLY against the McCain/Palin ticket.

Posted by: Tammy | October 10, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

The United States and the Republican Party would be better off if McCain had been the GOP nominee in 2000. Now his best opportunity, and best years, are gone.

Posted by: Stef | October 10, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Go obama we don't need facism

Posted by: Anonymous | October 10, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Go obama we don't need facism

Posted by: Anonymous | October 10, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

McCain will not be happy until we have a civil war.

Posted by: wfa | October 10, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I suppose now Bethlehem PA is getting a casino to replace its defunct steel industry, the fundamentals of the economy in LeHigh Valley must be taking care of themselves.

Posted by: Jonathan | October 10, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

It is very sad to see a country that is supposed to be so powerful and technologically advanced still deal with racial issues. The color of someone's skin doesn't have anything to do with his moral values and skills. We are in a new century and people, many from the GOP, should have learnt this many years ago.

Posted by: EQR | October 10, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I used to respect McCain. Not any more.

Posted by: jamie ells | October 10, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

ENOUGH for McCain/Palin drama. Again, Republican Party is taking this country into division like they did in 2004 election (Red State/Blue State/White State etc...)

They have no issue to debate on this election. John McCain should voluntarily withdraw his campaign asap and go home and relax. He is finish.

Posted by: Wajid, NJ | October 10, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

last i checked, this is still a democracy. If Obama is what the people want, Obama is what we'll get.
I'm sure many of the same people that despise Obama, voted for Bush -- twice!!!
talk about Socialism.

Posted by: Political_Junkie | October 10, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Just a footnote: The latest Fox News Channel poll even has Obama in the lead. Maybe that's why the McPalinites are so peeved.

Posted by: lchance1 | October 10, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I cannot believe the depth of low that John McCain has reached.
This is not the John McCain of old and I'm afraid that he will come to realize his error sooner than later. He has lost the respect of many people, including I'm afraid many who he has called friend.
John McCain needs to stop the maddness of his campaign, he said he would run a clean campaign, what happened? He can't blame Obama because he started it. McCain said he couldn't be compared to "Bush", that he was a maverick.....it seems to me that he is a twin to "Bush" at this point!

Posted by: marinemom2319 | October 10, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I liked McCain a lot better before he got his butt whipped in 2000 by Bush, and apparently decided that to have a change to get the nomination he'd have to appeal to those in power in the Republican Party and support Bush across the board, plus cowtow to the "Christian Evangelical Right Wing" which he'd called "agents of intolerance" shortly before his drubbing. Coupled with all his "gaffes," I'm wondering if he isn't exhibiting early signs of Alzheimer's.

Now it seems to me he's willing to do anything and everything (except come up with good ideas and programs) to "win," no matter what it does in regard to governing our country. His message is just one of Swift Boating his opponent and holding him in disdain, then saying "vote for me because I'm not him."

McCain, in my mind, has now lost not only his credibility, but more importantly his integrity.

Posted by: John | October 10, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

For some, the days of living in fear are over. It's all about standing on your principles and what you believe in. It's about me becoming a better person so that the world can become a better place. Beware of those that come to you with an attitude of hate. Our life here on earth is for only but a season. Be true to yourself, stand up for what is fair and just, and don't be afraid to listen to your conscience.

Posted by: hourglass | October 10, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous
--------------------
Anonymous. Would YOU please stop your false claims? Just because McCain and Pilan are dispicable liars does not mean YOU must become one too!! Ayers, Rezko, the Rev Wright were all brought up by Hilliary and it was proven nothing was there, period. Don't you recall Rev Write being on TV for over two months? Ayers WAS a radical against the VietNam War how many years ago?? 40? when Senator Obama was a child. Long since, Ayers has become a respected citizen of the United States. Ayers was NEVER convicted of any wrong doing, unlike some of McCain's associates. McCain and Pilan are bringing these people up again in HOPES of besmirching Senator Obama. Well, you know what? The great majority of America does NOT LIKE UGLY and like DISPICABLE EVEN LESS. McCain and Palin have become UGLY and DISPICABLE in their quest for the White House. They are turning the people in their rallies into dispicable mobs who shout terrible and UNTRUE accusations, they have and continue to incite, promote, and condone racism, bigotry, and hatred in their rallies and in their ADs. Is this what McCain and Pilan will turn our country into? A nation of mobsters, hate, and intolerance? Pilan has been practicing her hate for America by supporting the Alaska Independence Party. Their current leader said they had to INFILTRATE America under the guise of REPUBLICANS. It is clear to me that this IS EXACTLY WHAT SARAH PALIN (and Todd) ARE DOING AND McCAIN IS VENGEFULLY HELPING THEM!! It is Sarah who does NOT see America like the rest of us do, it is SHE that has every reason to HATE America as that is what the AIP is all about and they want to secede from the USA and become their own country!! In June 2008 she attended one of their meetings where she welcomed its members to the AIP and congratulated them on there "GOOD JOB". She told this party that they were doing a good job bashing America and hating America!! It is Sara and Todd who HATE America, and looks like McCain hates America as well, judging by his erratic and hateful campaign tactics. I am very, very ashamed the republicans selected McCain as their candidate and I am even more ashamed McCai selected a traitor and a treasonous person as his runningmate!!!

Posted by: NinaK | October 10, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

The McCain campaign's fear and hate mongering is inciting the far right, and bringing out the worst bigots and nut-cases in the country. If any violence comes to pass against Obama, his campaign, or the media, McCain-Palin need to be held personally responsible, indicted and prosecuted. This is more than irresponsible; it is dangerous!

Posted by: John | October 10, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

It is disappointing to see McCain tolerate this. Correct that--he not only tolerates it, he is encouraging it. McCain's "base" is the large section of America that is racist, xenophobic, anti-intellectual (make that anti-knowledge), frighteningly uneducated, and just generally hateful. We shall see if that section of the population comprises 51% of the vote. They just might.

Posted by: tevis | October 10, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Tsk Tsk... such a shame to see how low a candidate will go. Even more shameful to hear the chants from the crowd promoting violence against the other candidate. I'm new to the waters of politics and I am emabarassed, to say the least. I hope one day all of you nay sayers will benefit a huge deal from the Change that is going to come. Thanks for confirming my vote for Obama/Biden.

Posted by: Audrey in San Diego | October 10, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

McCain/Palin win on issues!!! They are right:plus, Obama's questionable past, including associations with anti-American individuals,religion, patriotism, and only a freshman experience as a senator is a negative and does not qualify him for Pres.. However he has all the libersl left's money and that counts in elections. I am not sellng my vote!!! I am voting onissues and for someone who reflects more closely my philosophy - Republican! Monty Ousley Weddell Dallas, TX

Posted by: Monty Ousley Weddell | October 10, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

What do McCain and Palin represent, incite, condone, and promote?

1) HATE, HATRED, AND HATEFULNESS
2) INTOLERANCE
3) MOB SCENES
4) UGLINESS
5) LACK OF PATRIOTISM TO COUNTRY
6) BIGOTRY
7) RACISM
8) PROLAMATIONS OF "TRAITO", "KILL HIM" FROM THEIR RALLY MOBS
9) CONDESCENTION OVER THOSE WHO ARE NOT WHITE
10)TRASH-AND-BURN POLITICAL TACTICS
11)PERSON ATTACKS
12)SLANDER
13)ANGER
14)RESENTMENT

AND MUCH, MUCH MORE UGLINESS. Do we want such people to lead OUR country? Personally, I emphatically say: "NO WAY, NOW HOW"!!!

I don't know about the rest of you but I would like to believe that, "WE, THE PEOPLE" ARE ABOVE THESE HORRIFIC TACTICS AND WOULD CHOOSE SENATOR OBAMA, THE ONLY CANDIDATE FOR PRESIDENT WHO IS HONORABLE, HONEST, HAS HIGH INTEGRITY, HONOR, WISDOM, VISION, GREAT LEADERSHIP AND MANAGERIAL SKILLS (look at his campaign), THE ABILITY TO BRING PEOPLE TOGETHER TOWARD A GOOD CAUSE---LIFTING OURSELVES AND OUR COUNTRY UP.
McCain and Palin are tearing the country apart with the qualities I first liste above. They are so full of hatred because America is saying, "NO McCain", "NO MORE REPUBLICANS" "NOT THIS TIME". McCain cannot deal with the truth about himself, he is old, erratic, unstable, and is out of touch with the majority of America!

Posted by: NinaK | October 10, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

What do McCain and Palin represent, incite, condone, and promote?

1) HATE, HATRED, AND HATEFULNESS
10)TRASH-AND-BURN POLITICAL TACTICS
11)PERSON ATTACKS
12)SLANDER
13)ANGER
14)RESENTMENT

Posted by: NinaK | October 10, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

those are some sick racist redneck republicans. wow.

Posted by: neon | October 10, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

I could write a book describing why John McCain is wrong for America, but it really all comes down the fact that he is a hateful divisive old out of touch war mongering liar that not only can't send an email, but has no clue what modern communication means to the rest of us, and absolutely understanding of how American's live our daily lives.

McCain darts from one bizarre idea to another. He thinks that makes him a "maverick", but a better description for what John McCain is would be a "loose canon". He should know what the term loose canon means because it is an old naval term. It comes from when a canon on an old sailing ship would break loose and fire randomly as it rolled around on the deck of the ship as the ship moved up and down with the waves of the ocean. You can imagine how difficult it would be to find a safe place to stand with a loose canon rolling around on board not knowing where it is going to shoot its steel canon ball. That is how it must feel to be a Republican right now. You know John McCain does not stand for anything you care about. You just want to make sure you are not in the way when the canon goes off.

Posted by: RW | October 10, 2008 7:05 PM | Report abuse

I could write a book describing why John McCain is wrong for America, but it really all comes down the fact that he is a hateful divisive old out of touch war mongering liar that not only can't send an email, but has no clue what modern communication means to the rest of us, and has absolutely no understanding of how American's live our daily lives.

Posted by: RW | October 10, 2008 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RW | October 10, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

All good Republicans should see this

Posted by: RW | October 10, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

For those of you who want to actually put in the time to read up on McCain, there is a very good article on Rolling Stone magazine explaining who he is and how he got here:

It is rather long, but does paint a rather complete picture.

Posted by: Mazi | October 11, 2008 3:58 AM | Report abuse

From:
Head of State

The Impulsively Unreflective Duo In..."McCain Goes Negative!"

In our last episode, we saw the indomitable, impulsive duo suspend the campaign to take on the Crisis on Wall Street! Now, watch, as, in our next episode...McCain Goes Negative!

McCain paces the floor in the Fortress of Irritability. He is cracking walnuts.

A walnut slips to the floor.

McCain: Damn nutcracker!

Sarah Palin is sitting in a chair at a desk. She is writing on a piece of paper: "J.M + S.P." This is then crossed out and replaced by "S.P. + J.M.". These alternating versions , the one before it always crossed out, continues down the page.

McCain: Well, the first plan didn't work. We tried to put them in a trance with the folksy ray, but they had their deflectors halfway raised. If only you hadn't called the commander in Afghanistan "McClellan"

Palin: But...didn't you say they were fighting a civil war, Sir?

McCain looks at Palin silently. He is smiling but he is holding back anger.

McCain: I think the time has come. We have to call in...Dr. Negative.

He pushes a large black button, which is the only button, on a red phone on his desk.

Dr. Negative immediately bursts through the door. He is carrying flyers, masking tape; telephone wires are wrapped around his arms hanging in every way; a tattered copy of the book "Accusations of Fascism, Communism, Terrorism, Drug Use, Pedophilia, Islamism, Adultery, Pandeism, Cannibalism, Cubism, Miscegenation, and Spousal Abuse...for Dummies!" is rolled and stuffed in his left pocket, filled with bookmarks; he is dragging a Robocaller behind him, leashed to a chain.

Dr. Negative (quickly, eagerly): Did you hear? Obama was born in Bin Laden's subterranean bomb making factory, outside of U.S. lines. He was born on a pile of cocaine and dynamite--and the midwife was a Trotskyite!

McCain: Not yet, Dr. Negative. I want you to meet Sarah.

Sarah: Oh, we've already met.

Dr. Negative: That trooper went down! He poisoned the salmon milk at the Wasilla Bible school! With drugs made at a Leftist Satan worshiping collective! That you could see from Russia!

Sarah: You betcha'!

Sarah and Dr. Negative give each other a high five. Dr. Negative's telephone wires rattle on his arm as he does so, triggering the Robocaller, which starts playing "...illegitimate babies made in test tube factories in North Korea and sent to Chicago by Bill Ayers..."

Dr. Negative shuts off the Robocaller with an embarassed smile.

Dr. Negative: Just practicing.

There is a pause.

McCain: That's fine, Dr. Negative. That's fine. Because, now, I have a special job for you. An important one.

Dr. Negative leaps into the air with excited glee. As he does, detritus falls to the floor--buttons reading "Election Day: Remember, the 3rd Tuesday in November!", business cards, reading "Push Polls Anonymous--We Call, They Fall", "Mongers On Call-No Rumor Too Far fetched"; Bandaids with purple hearts; mangled and dirty chads.

Dr. Negative: A new job! A special job! Oh, Mr. McCain! I'm ready! I'm ready!

Sarah watches from her chair, filing her nails.

McCain: Now, Dr. Negative. You have to make him seem radical...

Dr. Negative quickly pulls a can out of his right pocket, emblazoned with the word "Radical" He opens the top. Red and Black snakes fly out.

Dr. Negative: (eagerly, expectantly, hungrily) Yes...Yes...

McCain: You'll have to start rumors that are so inflammatory that they will spread like wildfire, and that will be started too late to stop them with the actual truth...

Dr. Negative pulls a gigantic grinder out of his left pocket. It is labeled "Rumor Mill". He turns the crank a few times. Hamsters, syringes, and Peace symbols fly out.

Dr. Negative: Yes...Yes...

He is salivating.

McCain: They will have to be so incredible, so over-the-top, based on such tawdry and poorly sourced evidence, yet riddled with tempting minutia--bullet gauges, Google maps of supposed meetings and the like, that the right will eat them up, and start analyzing the minutia with adolescent glee.

Dr. Negative (Very calmly, matter of fact): Oh, that's easy. They'll eat anything.

Dr. Negative reaches into his back pocket, pulls out a manila envelope labeled "Minutia: So-called "Proof" for the Right". He empties it to the floor. Bullet gauge measures, outdated copies of Photoshop, paperbacks entitled "How to Use the Insane as Competent Witnesses", "The Faked Moon Landings! Roswell! And Other Believable Phenomena!" and "You TOO Can Be A Warrior--From Your Own Couch!" fall to the floor.

Sarah plucks out the "Faked Moon Landings" book. She starts reading.

McCain: We know how our girl loves to read.

Sarah stops, and begins fixing her hair in a hand mirror.

Now, Dr. Negative, there is one final task.

Dr. Negative: Yes, Mr. McCain?

McCain: It is very difficult. Very...dark.

Dr. Negative: (Leaning forward expectantly, his voice quivering with excitement): Yes, Mr. McCain, Yes?

McCain: You will have to play the card that they played against me. Do you understand?

The room becomes silent. Sarah stops looking at herself, and looks towards the center of the room where McCain and Dr. Negative are staring at each other.

Dr. Negative: You mean...(eyes widened with disbelief. His telephone wires are quietly shaking as he shivers).

McCain (nodding): Yes.

Dr. Negative slowly removes from his jacket pocket what seems to be an ordinary pack of playing cards. They are labeled "Joker" brand. He takes a penknife from his pocket, and slowly slices the covering cellophane. There is a slight and distant roar. He looks at McCain.

McCain nods.

Dr. Negative then slowly removes the red ribbon encircling the cellophane at the top of the pack. He inserts the penknife--holding it from it very farthest end--and flips open the top of the pack.

Smoke begins to pour from the top of the pack, thick, acrid smoke. It quickly fills the room, covering all that is in sight.

McCain (shouting amidst the sound of smoke rushing into the room): And remember--no fingerprints!

Next episode: The smoke is cleared.

Cite:
Head of State

Posted by: Jana Walter | October 11, 2008 7:56 AM | Report abuse

I actually have more respect for McCain after watching him standing up to that fanatical, nut-job crowd who were gathered for the rally. I'd thought his recent actions showed that he'd abandoned all ethics to a Rove-style sleaze-fest, and I am relieved to see that he isn't totally in moral bankruptcy. But that crowd, they are truly frightening, like something out of Germany in the 1930s! Bleating sheep, over-fed on the mothers-milk of extremist hate propaganda courtesy of FOX "News" and the AM Hate radio crowd, they wanted blood! McCain has to be careful, because a lot of those fascists don't trust him for believin' in Evolution, and the Bill of Rights and all that legalese stuff they don't understand. I regained some respect for McCain, but the Republican party is ONE SICK PUPPY!!!

Posted by: Mike in Dallas | October 11, 2008 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Anonymous - You can not be a devout Muslim and a Communist simultaneously. By stating that this is true you reveal that you do not understand what a devout Muslim or a Communist is other than someone you do not like. It would be more useful if you would outline the policy differences you have with a candidate.

Posted by: Chamberlain_s | October 13, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

During the war in Yugoslavia, a squad of eight Serbs captured a famous
Muslim soccer player, his wife and their two young daughters.

The chained the player to a radiator pipe and sliced off his eyelids.
Then, they repeatedly raped his wife and daughters, aged six and nine.

When all eight Serbs could no longer come, they gutted the mother
and children as though they were, say, trout and let them bleed to
death.

The soccer player begged them to kill him, but they laughed and released
him to wander the country.

Republicans are our Serbs.

Posted by: Cosimo Di Lauro | October 13, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

It's Sad to see Palin move from simply naive to dangerous.

Regardless of your sense on Obama, do you really want 4 more years of this?

Sarah palin is http://BushInASkirt.com

McCain should not have picked her.

Sad