Palin: 'Just Getting Started'

Sarah Palin is full of surprises, and her "press conference" at the Republican Governors Association meeting in Miami this morning was no exception. She brought an unannounced bodyguard: Texas Gov. Rick Perry.

A schedule sent out by the RGA said nothing about Perry or the several other Republican governors who stood silently on the stage while Palin spoke. The Texan introduced Palin, called on questioners for her, and then cut off the session after a few brief answers. "I'd like to introduce a governor who has led her state boldly, inspired a nation with her optimism, her frank talk, her unashamed embrace of bedrock conservative principles," he declared. "And I can assure you, she's just getting started."

The Alaska governor then debuted a post-election stump speech. "I think that this group is going to be looked to and looked at for leadership that perhaps had been lacking in Congress and in Washington, D.C.," she said of her fellow governors. "This group is going to be uniquely qualified to provide leadership in this nation."

Palin has been on a media blitz this week, granting interviews to most everybody with a TV camera in what is widely seen as the start of her bid for the 2012 presidential nomination. Not so, she said today. "The future for us is not that 2012 presidential race. It's next year and our next budgets and the next reforms in our states."

A questioner pointed out that she said during the vice presidential debate that she didn't like to speak through the "filter" of the media. "What's changed?"

"The campaign is over," Palin answered, to laughter. She further explained that "it's very important that we are speaking to constituents, that we are speaking to the people whom we are serving."

Ah, so that's why she's giving a press conference in Miami, 4,000 miles from Anchorage.

She took two more quick questions, then Perry announced that the session was coming to an end.

Palin and Perry had a powerful incentive to keep on schedule. The RGA schedule listed an important event for all conferees from 2:30 to 5 p.m.: a "Day of Beauty: The Professional Beauty Association will offer an afternoon of pampering to include manicures, pedicures, neck and shoulder massages. Participants will also learn about new products and beauty secrets."

By Dana Milbank  | November 13, 2008; 11:19 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Breaking News: Obama Shuffles Morning Routine
Next: SketchChat

Comments

"A Day of Beauty" from 2:30 pm until 5:30 pm at the Governor's Conference in Miami! RIGHT UP PALIN'S ALLEY!! How wonderful for the Governors to be spending our money beautifying themselves! Do they constantly NEED pumping up in every way possible?

Kind of reminds me of the AIG Conference at a Western Resort & Spa that cost $450,000 dollars while AIG was begging us for a bailout!

Beauty over substance always wins, I suppose, right Sarah?

Posted by: cashmere1 | November 13, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, "we're uniquely qualified to handle all the problems that the 'people in Washington' can't"....right after my pedicure and massage!

Posted by: birdaa | November 13, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

You must be kidding me ... showcasing this narcissist who cannot speak in complete, intelligent sentences and thinks she can get over by being cute and snide, and then off to the salon? Can anyone spell AIG? No wonder the Republicans are in trouble. Find serious representatives, folks, or the country frankly does not need you.

Posted by: D1411 | November 13, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I have to admit it: she's like a bad accident on the interstate. I know that I won't like what I see, but I simply can't look away!

The idea of someone being so self-centered yet not realizing that she's destroying herself is too delicious!

Posted by: dgloo | November 13, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin still doesn't get it. The Republican Governors still don't get it. McCain still doesn't get it. The Republicans went down like the Titanic, NOT because of Palin, NOT because of Bush (er, sort of), and not because of the economy. The Republicans haven't yet realized that the ship sank from under them because the Republicans are specifically identified as the Party of the Religious Nutcase Right. In short, the Repubs have been hijacked by the lunatic fringe right, and are a single party with a single message singularly rejected by most Americans. If the party wants to find any footing for the foreseeable future, they need to find a way to jettison the likes of Dobson, Limbaugh, et al., and find a conservative consensus based on realism and common sense. In the meantime, hard-core Democrats like me will be hoping and praying hard that Palin is the 2012 nominee. We'll all be cheering "Four more years!" after Obama is grandly re-elected to his 2nd term. Short version: Republicans never learn.

Posted by: sailmaker1943 | November 13, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Palin's the 'go to' candidate if the GOP wants to make sure the White House remains in Democratic hands.

Posted by: arielpoly | November 13, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

When interviewed by Fox News Palin said, "I’m like, O.K., God, if there is an open door for me somewhere, this is what I always pray, I’m like, don’t let me miss the open door. Show me where the open door is. Even if it’s cracked up a little bit, maybe I’ll plow right on through that and maybe prematurely plow through it, but don’t let me miss an open door. And if there is an open door in ‘12 or four years later, and if it is something that is going to be good for my family, for my state, for my nation, an opportunity for me, then I’ll plow through that door.”

At that time she was not talking about next years budget, but '12 or '16. She also said that she prayed for God to open doors, but apparently they were doors that would benefit her and not doors to allow her to do "God's will". Isn't that a bit unusual for an Evangelical? It seem to me her large ego got in the way when she wanted to go through the doors to benefit "my" state, "my" family, "my" nation and "me". It concerns me when politicians want God to "open doors" to pursue their "policies" and want God's help to benefit them personally.

Posted by: rclab | November 13, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

This may sound quaint, but I'd like to believe that Palin's obvious lack of public policy knowledge, experience and intellectual curiosity might offset her good looks and aw shucks manner and thwart her bid for stardom. She has problems that a crash course is not going to eliminate.

Posted by: davidscott1 | November 13, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Isn't Jewel also from Alaska? And she can sing.

Posted by: davidscott1 | November 13, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I love the Republicans. They will repeat everything , over and over, hoping next time it will be right.

The woman is an idiot.

Posted by: COWENS99 | November 13, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

she's forgetting one important quality that the rest of us noticed....

she's a jerk.

Posted by: vigor | November 13, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin is governor of a small, socially and politically backward state who's only real claim to fame is her "Cinderella" story in which the handsome prince turned out to be John McCain, and they didn't go to the ball. Stop giving her front page ink and let the political world get back to issues not imbeciles.

Posted by: paul_in_portland | November 13, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

*******************
I'm pretty sure that her attempt "to provide leadership in this nation" was just rejected. You have only been voted by the people of Alaska as THEIR governor - please go back there and go away - I have not, nor will I ever, vote for you to "lead" on a national level.

Posted by: suzannepdc | November 13, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

If we're going to continue to cover Palin, I want to see a LOT more coverage of the Tampa Bay Rays. I hear they're already positioning themselves for a run in 09.

Posted by: jhusson1 | November 13, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Republicans might consider avoiding references to a lack of leadership in Congress.

After all, the GOP dominated Congress from 1994 thru 2006 and only lost that dominance after they thoroughly trashed America's international standing, America's national debt and America's economy.

Posted by: DEFJAX | November 13, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

WILL THE PRESS ASK HER SOME QUESTIONS AND DEMAND A FULL ANCER. I WISH SHE WHOULD FULLY ANCER THE QUESTIONS OR GO HOME.

Posted by: usapdx | November 13, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

I'm with dgloo.

I want her around for a while. The comic relief is just too valuable in these serious times.

I just LOVE seeing the Xtian wingnuts prostrating themselves before her. She's the next "Straight Talker" except that the route from the beginning of one of her sentences to the end is twistier than Lombard Street. (Local San Francisco reference). It's more tangled than the ratted hair in her updo. Her rhetoric makes George Bush seem as eloquent as Hinkracker thinks he actually is.

Bring her on!!!

Posted by: RealCalGal | November 13, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

You misunderestimate palin;

I hear she gives a mean massage - complete with 'happy ending'.

They say she's also pretty good at giving manicures and pedicures.

Posted by: Heerman532 | November 13, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Ever watch the old 'Green Acres' TV show?

Palin is the 'hank kimball' (clueless agricultural agent), while atwater - now rove & perry are the 'ed haney' (con men).

Posted by: Heerman532 | November 13, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

And George W. Bush, who left Texas in the hands of Rick Perry, certainly showed us how uniquely qualified he was and the people he picked (Michael Brown, Julie Myers, just the first two who jumped off the keyboard) have been to provide leadership in this nation.

I don't suppose that either Mike Huckabee or Mitt Romney were there to show how uniquely qualified they were, but presumably Tim Pawlenty was.

Posted by: edallan | November 13, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

She is amazingly inarticulate .... also?

Posted by: edubbya | November 13, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

This is how we wound up with Jesse Ventura running Minnesota, disasterously I might add. An off-beat, quirky figure pops up who says crazy things and doesn't act like a politician. He gets way more coverage than he deserves especially given his intellectual poverty. Before long momentum builds and people think, "I'll vote for him, just for fun." On election night, it turns out we've elected a circus clown whose very first act in office was to get himself a special permit to carry a concealed weapon in the state capital. Apparently the state police were not enough. You know the rest of the story. Palin is on the same story arc. If stolid Norwegians can elect Jesse Ventura without shame, President Palin is certainly not ouf of the question.

When she starts wearing feather boas we'll know we're really in trouble.

Posted by: sheehanjc | November 13, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Lemme guess, the ratio of reporters to govenors was 10:1 ? I heard many republican govenors did not even show up. And for God's sake, a "Day of Beauty" ? They keep shooting themselves in the foot hoping it will heal the wound from the previous shot in the foot. It seems like republicans of all types have been hanging out too long with the IQ challenged they adopted for their votes.

But since the media is working overtime to give us everything Palin I wonder if you could check on two things I have questions about:

1) Why are lawyers in Alaska trying to figure out what clothes Palin still has that need to be returned and why do they need lawyers doing what should be a staffer's job?

2) Its been reported that Palin has an IQ of 120. Based on what I have seen of her that is impossible. Can you check on the accuracy of this? From what I have seen of her and what I have read about her educational background it seems closer to 80. I've also heard McCain's IQ is 133. Is this just the usual RNC disinformation being said over and over again? An IQ of 133 and he graducated 5th from last at the Naval Academy? Very hard to believe While you're at it, could you get Obama and Biden's too? Enquiring minds want to know!

Posted by: bevjims1 | November 13, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I would really like to move on, but with this media blitz of hers, I just can't seem to get those words "whack job" out of my head.

Posted by: wmw4 | November 13, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

As with all religions, faith, not intelligence, is the hallmark. As with most politics, reasoned ideology is the foundation for platforms. When faith takes precedence over reasoning, you get the other side to see your viewpoint only by smear tactics. How can those Democrats not vote for us on every issue when we are so morally correct on abortion, gun control, global warming, energy, evolution, stem cell research, etc. Certainly we must be right on the economy, taxes, health care and the wars.

Now I hear some GOP leaders adopting a strategy to forget their base far right Rushees and steal some Moderates and Dems into their corner since the far right have nowhere else to go anyway. The misplaced ferocity with which Palin supporters cheer, is what the GOP fears since it represents this anti-intellectual leadership that is becoming less viable as voters get smarter, technology gets more advanced and media gets more probing. The small sympathy backlash for poorly misunderstood, sexist treated, unfair media bashing of Sarah Palin is being drowned out by the forces of rationality, reality and responsibility.

Posted by: drgerbils | November 13, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

God, if she gets some nail polish on one of those Neiman-Marcus dresses, she might HAVE to keep it.

Posted by: HiloBob | November 13, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Obama might have just been elected president, but the media elite cannot stop talking about Palin. Nice to know that the left's obsession with her hasn't died down much since last week.

Posted by: kenpasadena | November 13, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

If this is the best of the Republican party, looks like the political history of 1932-1952 is about to be repeated.

Posted by: dhkessel | November 13, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I think the next "reform" in Palin's state of Alaska should be that the SPOUSE of the elected official should be barred from running the state in tandem. The citizens of Alaska voted for Palin (albeit in a default election, given they were pretty much more or less voting AGAINST the previous governor). They did not vote for her husband to run the ship. He should be barred from access to the governor's office or state business.

Posted by: emptysee | November 13, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

"The right wing bloviators are 'Arnold Ziffel' - the pig who somehow communicates to the ziffels and eva gabor."
---Posted by: Heerman532

Now wait just a darn minute. Arnold was the most intelligent character on the show. I'd rank them like this:

Mr. Haney = The Rove machine, as you said.
Hank Kimball = George W. Bush
Arnold Ziffel = George H. W. Bush
Alf and Ralph Monroe = Hannity and 'Rielly of Fox News.
Lisa Douglas = Sarah Palin
Fred Ziffel = John McCain
Doris Ziffel = Cindy McCain
Newt Kiley = The Red States
Oliver Wendell Douglas = The Blue States
Mr. Drucker = Wall Street

Posted by: bevjims1 | November 13, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I hope the Republicans are stupid enough to nominate Palin in 2012!

Only rabid right-wingers go for her schtick any more.

The 'middle' and the 'left' are horrified by her, and this opinion is firmly cemented.

Posted by: jsmith021961 | November 13, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

OMG!

Just when you thought Gov. Goodhair couldn't get any more stupid...

Oh, here's an idea. If Ms. Palin goes to Washington, maybe Perry can move to Alaska and be governor there. I'd be so happy to give him up.

Posted by: llong9 | November 13, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it amazing that Obama spent his entire campaign promising America a new kind of politics... but his supporters simply ignore him?

Look at all of these Democrats' comments! This is the "new" kind of politics?
Disgusting.

I read this story because I voted for Gov. Palin.

Did the Obama supporters read it just to give themselves yet another chance to spew some more of their political vomit all over the internet?
Gag.

You protest too much.

Posted by: freespeak | November 13, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Palin is not helping the progress of women in politics- she will throw us back to the 50's- someone get her to shut up and go home and stay there.

Posted by: poppysue85 | November 13, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

"The media elite?" The guy at the deli is talking about her, for heaven's sake.

While we're at it, just who are the media elite? Certainly the WaPo, The New York Times too. But what about Fox? Or the Wall Street Journal? They're talking about Palin. Are they among the "elite" or is there a special category for news organizations with which one agrees?

Another observation here -- what is wrong with being elite, defined in Websters as "the choice or best of anything..."? Don't we want the best and brightest people working in our news industries, in our government, and in our businesses? Seems the neo-cons and their ilk feel there is no virtue in education or erudition. (You know, the kind of book larnin' that Bill Buckley had. And that the conservative movement was built on). Smart people are automatically suspect. They guy driving the garbage truck who dropped out of 9th grade, there is a world-wise individual. Let's populate the centers of power with boho cretins with strong personal opinions based on nothing but their instincts and unbiased by any actual facts.

You we already tried this formula with the current president. Didn't work quite as planned

Posted by: sheehanjc | November 13, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Please, dear God, make her shut up.

Posted by: agolembe | November 13, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

GO SARAH/JINDAL 2012

Posted by: jjcrocket | November 13, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

You protest too much. We're all starting to get the feeling that Governor Palin actually scares the crap out of you.
---Posted by: freespeak

Well you just keep thinking that ok? By gosh, we are just, ya kno, like very afraid of Palin, like, she's like, ya kno, Russia right there, they're, ya kno, right into my backyard, and we have planes don't ya kno.

And if anyone is protesting too much it is Palin, who keeps blaming those nasty reporters for making stuff up. What a baby.

By the way, did Palin ever release her medical records? Everyone else did. If the media wants to keep Palin on the front page there is still some REAL reporting that can be done ya kno. Like:
-Why was Bristol really out of school for 5 months?
-When is the wedding and is the media invited?
-Why did Sarah, in labor, fly from Texas to Alaska to give birth?
-Where are all the clothes?
-What's happening with the investigation into her charging the state for personal vacations for her and her family?
-What about the lawsuits that have been filed by workers she fired?
-What's her current approval rating in AK? I heard it dropped from 80% to 60% but the Post is not reporting these things.

Lemme know if you need more ideas to keep Palin front and center AND do your job of reporting the news Milbank.

Posted by: bevjims1 | November 13, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

sailmaker1943 wrote:
{snip}In short, the Repubs have been hijacked by the lunatic fringe right, and are a single party with a single message singularly rejected by most Americans. If the party wants to find any footing for the foreseeable future, they need to find a way to jettison the likes of Dobson, Limbaugh, et al., and find a conservative consensus based on realism and common sense. {snip}
-----------------
Thank you, my dear. I've been saying this for years. Barry Goldwater must be spinning at warp speed in his grave right about now.

Posted by: bucinka8 | November 13, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

I don't know why everyone is surprised by Sarah Palin's quick acceptance by the rightwing of the Grand Ole Whiteboys Party. Reagan had Alzheimer's the last two (at least) years of his presidency; George Bush was NEVER seen as the sharpest knife in the drawer, but the rightwing went, "Oh, we'll let Daddy Dick run the White House while we impose our ideology on the nation. That'll work." Now they would put their money and voters behind Palin, who knows nothing; does not care to learn anything; has no intellectual curiosity about the planet, the government, or the law; was disloyal to McCain who put her on his ticket; is insatiabily ambitious; wants women who've been raped or incested to have children from those acts. Doesn't even know what the job was she was running for. Just another emptybrained demaguogue who will be a figurehead while the GOWP conservatives run everything. Americans won't vote for that again.

Posted by: kitvancleave | November 13, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm still waiting for media and pundits to actually comment on the lack of content in Palin's responses on anything. She strings phrases together that ultimately say nothing. I want her to go away yet the one comforting thought I have is her own brand of ego (like W's) that blinds them to their flaws and ignorance. Eight years ago too many Americans fell for this (not me but that's the past) to think this candidate has any chance at all is a sad commentary on her "fans" and the state that elected her. She is shallow, could care less about nuances in politics or world problems and has a bunker mentality that she is a "real" American and anyone who disagrees is an enemy. As a Christian I would not disparage her brand of Christianity but it certainly lacks the message of mine -- do unto others, do not bear false witness, and serving not leading. If she wants to start a church - great but for someone with a degree in journalism wanting a career at one time in front of a camera -- she can't even adequately accomplish that and rather than admit her lackluster performance blames everyone else -- can Alaska please not elect her to anything else in my lifetime?

Posted by: Lemon722 | November 13, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I lived in Texas until about 3 years ago. I assure you it was Perry, and not Palin, who was more afraid being late for the afternoon of primping and preening.

What a perfect combination those two are: Tweedle Dumb and Tweedle Even-dumber.

Posted by: TheProFromDover | November 13, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

"I think that this group is going to be looked to and looked at for leadership that perhaps had been lacking in Congress and in Washington, D.C."

I know immigrants who speak better English than this idiot.

Oh that's right, the Republican Party is anti-immigrant. There goes another group they don't appeal to...

************************************
***************ALASKA***************
***************FIRST!***************
************************************

Posted by: tony_in_Durham_NC | November 13, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Sarah sez: "My life is in God's hands," Palin said. "If he's got doors open for me, that I believe are in our state's best interest, the nation's best interest, I'm going to go through those doors."

I say: I hope it's the trapdoor on her political gallows.

Posted by: HiloBob | November 13, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Here's my favorite recent Palin quote:

“My concern has been the atrocities there in Darfur and the relevance to me with that issue as we spoke about Africa and some of the countries there that were kind of the people succumbing to the dictators and the corruption of some collapsed governments on the continent, the relevance was Alaska’s investment in Darfur with some of our permanent fund dollars.”

Delicious? You betcha!! Now that we're safely out of her hands, she's even MORE fun to watch!

Posted by: AZANNE | November 13, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I think this whole discussion is three years premature. We were not discussing this woman in 2004. I bet most of us didn't even know who she was back then; I know I didn't. A LOT can happen between now and the beginning of the next election cycle, both good and bad as far as the GOP is concerned. We could be discussing someone totally new in 2011/12. A real golden child could emerge, such as what happened to the Democratic Party this time around; or not, leaving the GOP in the hands of the American Taliban (the James Dobsons and late D. James Kennedys of the world). The GOP might have some smart true conservatives to choose from...or they'll have to pull someone out of their a$$ like McCain had to this time around. And of course, what they'll be running against will affect whom they choose. An effective Obama administration, particularly one that locates and captures Osama bin Laden, could render any discussion of 2012 moot; an ineffective one could have GOP hopefuls saying hmmm, maybe there is a chance after all....

Posted by: bucinka8 | November 13, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

JJCrocket wrote:

GO SARAH/JINDAL 2012

-------------------------

There's a name for a combination like that, JJ. It's called "Political Suicide for the Republicans".

Oh yeah, that's a real winner; HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

What a tool......

Posted by: owiz | November 13, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin is the female version of George W. Bush.
I've never heard her speak without lying.
Unrepentant - her word - describes both her and Bush.
Palin/Joe the Plumber 2012
You Betcha!

Posted by: chucky-el | November 13, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

"A schedule sent out by the RGA said nothing about Perry or the several other Republican governors who stood silently on the stage while Palin spoke."

I don't know where they got their info, but the Austin American Statesman knew about the joint appearance as of Tuesday:

Posted by: Left_of_the_Pyle | November 13, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

If we're droppin' G's, does that make Perry 'overnor 'oodhair?

Posted by: Left_of_the_Pyle | November 13, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Picking on Sarah is like shooting fish in a barrel . . . of course, that's probably legal in Alaska.

Posted by: DavidinGA | November 13, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

An earlier poster wrote:

Can anyone tell me what that means? I've seen it before and spent time trying to figure it out. I teach college-level English and see many students who wind up placed in remedial writing courses, but I'm not sure that I've ever seen anything that loops around and contradicts itself this much. If the GOP wants to go with her, fine by me. Maybe even Bill Kristol will abandon ship with the rest of the rats.

Posted by: hoeya | November 13, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin has clearly shown she is the Forrest Gump of politics. Pretty face, big mouth, with not much substantive to say. As far as 2012 is concerned all I can say to Sarah is...Run Forrest Run!!!
The GOP has been running government for it's 30%base for the past eight years and it lost this election trying to do the same.
Please I beg you GOP have Palin run for President in 2012!! Please!!...Obama 08

Posted by: logcabin1836 | November 13, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

To the Palin supporters,

Yes we are scared of her, not because she of her political career but of her being the next Bush, I guess the last 8 years of misery arent enough for you to vote for change but a vile hatemonger is right up your alley. Thats why you lost this election and if you hitch your wagon to her you will lose that election. 32% of the American people found her not fit to be the VP candidate. Thats all Americans not just the Dems....

Posted by: rharring | November 13, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Three years between now and the 2012 race. A lot can happen in those three years. Like investigations into how the Palins built that very nice lakehouse with 'labor contributions' from the very people that won the contract to build the extravagant over-budget ice hockey rink right down the street.

Isn't this what Ted Stevens was indicted for?

Posted by: HillMan | November 13, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

She's definitely a slow-motion train wreck. I can't help but keep watching.

Posted by: rtaylor3 | November 13, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin is a Theocrat..she is not a Republican..she would only use the Republican Party to interject her theocratic self into the upper regions of political power...no good...

Tell the Theocrats to take a hike..this is not a country that will tolerate a Christian Taliban...we believe in the freedom to worship as we wish..not the way wizards want us to..

Posted by: goodcake4u | November 13, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm curious to see if Palin is still getting this much media attention six months from now. There's a Brittany Spears quality to her coverage - a sort of "let's see what the dimwit is doing now" subtext that permeates. She's achieved celebrity status, but she is very far from having the gravitas necessary to be a credible Presidential candidate. She needs to get into the Senate and prove herself on the big stage before anyone outside of the far right is going to take her seriously.

Posted by: skrut003 | November 13, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

*Sigh ...*
Will we never, ever be rid of this woefully unqualified, arrogant, clueless, dishonest, vicious and delusional woman?
If this is the best the GOP can do, then the party is worse shape than I thought.

Posted by: vegasgirl1 | November 13, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

she's funny.

Posted by: LeftwithNochoice | November 13, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Palin repels all but the far right, and there aren't enough of them to elect her on the national level. And after last week's election, I'll be amazed if she gets reelected as Alaska governor. Alaskan's have pride; they don't want to be associated with her (or Ted Stevens, if the recount continues as it's going).

Posted by: aguy7 | November 13, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Reporters surround her like dogs sniffing at her private parts. She's not nearly ready reporter dogs! Go find another - oh, I forgot she's the only female in a pathetic bunch of devout Republicans whose party has also gone to the dogs.

Posted by: NormBlon | November 13, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Didn't God also say something about not rushing to the head of the table...that the first shall be last and the last shall be first? I'm so sick of her sliding through open doors meant for someone else, looking obviously out-of-place, and then smirking "God must have meant it for me, you guys are the jerks..."

When they taught me to pray, i understood we were to ask for "God's will, not mine, be done."

People who don't know what they don't know really annoy me.

Posted by: las100 | November 13, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

After the election, Palin announced she couldn't wait to get back to Alaska and serve the people as governor again. Since then, she seems to have done nothing other than give one interview after the next..

Her position changes with each interview. First she wasn't interested in any political position, other than serving as governor. Next, she claimed she wouldn't consider naming herself as Senator to replace Ted Stevens. Then she said that you'd have to be pretty egotistical to name yourself as Senator. Her latest position: if God opens that door for me or the good people of Alaska want me to serve in that capacity, I may consider it.

I'm a feminist and I want to see many more women in public office. Nothing much will change for women until many more women are serving in public office and have the power to affect change.

Sarah has certainly learned a few things while running for VP. Mainly, she's learned from McCain how to blithely switch positions as the wind blows. Sarah is an uber transparent opportunist, out only for herself...and the RNC is down and out desperate. Please, Republicans, do some real soul-searching, figure out how and why you got thrown out on your ear and rebuild a much saner, healthier party.

Looking to Sarah for leadership for the newly emerging party is going back down the same road to defeat (remember George Bush?).

Posted by: caroll1 | November 13, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

The problem I have with the Palin statement is two-fold. The first is in the structure of the prayer although it is indicative of the way many pray today. When asked by his disciples about how they should pray Jesus provided them with the following. The Palin plea ignores the first tenet of the prayer that Jesus provided and that is that God’s will be done. I’m not sensing the will of God here; it appears more to me like the will of Sarah Palin. The sad part is that many Christians would not even be able to understand the difference. In her plea we have her family, her state, her nation, her, and of course the Republican Party but where is God? Like so many Christians of today what Ms. Palin wants to do is to provide God with her plans and then have God initial here and here and sign at the bottom. Rather than praying to be included in God’s plan we want to include God in our plans. According to Ms. Palin God has pretty much decided that she should be President, now it is just a matter of when. Let me think the last person who said that God wanted them to be President was George W. Bush and how did that work out for the country?

“You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” - Anne Lamott

The Disputed Truth

Posted by: jhawk10 | November 13, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

In all of the interviews and encounters with real live reporters (one hesitates to call them 'press conferences') that Mrs. Palin has had since August, I can't recall her being queried even once about her husband's membership in the Alaska Independence Party and her association with it. Why is this? Do the male interviewers all hope she is going to fall for them? Are the women too interested in what she is wearing? Are they all too dumb to see the elephant in the room? Are they just in a daze at the vacuity of her wandering, dazzlingly incoherent idiotic non-answers to their questions?
Why does this woman continue to get so much coverage? The very worst thing that could happen to Palin is for the reporters to just go away and stop gratifying her monstrous ego. Mick Jagger once described Madonna as having a thimble full of talent in a sea of ambition - I think that pretty much sums up Sarah Palin as well, except that Madonna is a Rhodes scholar in a comparision to her.

Posted by: AlexanderMcKenzie | November 13, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Let Palin keep talking and keep the cameras focused on her. The longer she does, the more free comedy material for Stewart, Letterman, Colbert and every radio morning show in America.

Posted by: jaynashvil | November 13, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Governor Palin represents a large national constituency of poorly educated, Bible-dependent people who cling to adolescence as if it is the guiding principle of their lives. We cannot underestimate this group and we cannot ignore the significance that the Bible plays in their lives. It is perhaps the only book they have read. For them it serves as a Totem in the sense developed by anthropologist Abraham Malinowski: “a mode of social grouping and a religious system of beliefs and practices.”

This is powerful stuff, and is in no way supernatural. Governor Palin appeals to these people because they know nothing of government's purpose. They know only what they think it is, a non-Christian mode of running the world. They don't want government. They want to be reminded that they are going to heaven, that this world is temporary and irrelevant. They want someone like themselves to be in power. They want someone as shallow and superficial as they are, not someone who is adept at analysis, reasoning and logic. They do not understand these things, and hence they fear them. Governor Palin fits the bill because she is as ignorant as they are of the way government functions, as blind to how the world is and how it works as they are.

Just because she doesn't make sense to educated people with the ability to reason does not mean that Governor Palin lacks the ability to take advantage of the ignorance upon which her power is built. We have only to look at the fortunes compiled by the many mega-churches and the power they have consolidated to gain some inkling into the potential political effects of the uneducated and Bible-dependent population.

Railing against the sheer idiocy of Governor Palin's logic, against the patent ignorance she brandishes like a sword, only serves to hide the real threat this group represents to Constitutional government. When enough anti-government, anti-education, anti-science and anti-humanism voters wield their clout we end up with George W. Bush in the White House. It can happen again.

Governor Palin is a serious threat. She will be hard to undermine with any of the logical arguments, because logic to the living saints is a low order of knowledge. She represents the validity they ascribe to revealed knowledge, the knowledge they "literally interpret" from Holy Writ.

Piety stalks the land and with it comes danger. Outrage will not defeat it. Only education can keep it in check.

Posted by: SlimSovacool | November 13, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Sarah Palin is about as capable of self-reflection as George W. Bush.

Posted by: humphreylikebogart | November 13, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Please, please, someone, anyone, tape her mouth shut, send her back to Alaska where she is appreciated. Poor sarah is going to be in the limelight, all will tire of her rhetoric. She and todd will rule the roost in the upper 50. Feel sorry for Alaska, if this is what they have to contend with. Her next junket will be senator, after that the presidential fiasco will be looming, go home sarah, see you in 2012, again and again.We have had enough.

Posted by: rhodaposa | November 13, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Will you people quit following her around, so she can just go away?

Posted by: horace_simon1 | November 13, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

As the First Dude said to Plumber Joe...

"Yeah Joe, just because the house is beautiful doesn't mean the plumbing will be a breeze. I've laid plenty of pipe under adverse circumstances. Laying pipe in a constant wind wears me out."

Posted by: willandjansdad1 | November 13, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to make a zillion dollars by inventing a device that will turn off people's televisions or radios any time her name is mentioned or THAT VOICE is broadcast across the airwaves.

Posted by: cthehill | November 13, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Her ticket went down to a resounding defeat largely because her name was on it. Out of respect for her running mate, she should consider laying low for a while rather than promoting herself. This is analogous to a widow, on the way home from the funeral, pulling in to a bar looking for a replacement for her deceased husband. What a wench, please go away!

Posted by: randysbailin | November 13, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Will the media PLEASE, PLEASE stop giving this narcisist additional platforms! I beg of you just ONE day without a Palin update. People like Sarah Palin embody what has been wrong with the GOP for years. People who Know nothing but are in love with cliches and code words. Didn't we just have one president who took orders from God rather that his constituents. Why in the name of all that's holy do we want to go down that sorry path again.

Posted by: sandram1 | November 13, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Can someone please ask her if she's ever heard of separation of church and state? As for complete sentences, let alone intelligent, I have yet to hear one.

Posted by: VickiNC | November 13, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

The more this bimbo runs her mouth the more people will realize they made the right choice electing Obama...so please keep talking, someone please hand her a shovel.

Posted by: ryanr007 | November 13, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Palin is the most parochial, provincial government official I can recall since the days of the Southern governors who'd rather have closed their schools than obey the laws of this land. Politically and intellectually, she's a throwback. McCain ought to be ashamed of his decision-making process in selecting her, but I guess there's no overcoming some men's chromosomal compulsions.

Posted by: jackson251 | November 13, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Set Sarah Palin next to talented national leaders like Margaret Thatcher, Golda Meir, and Madeleine Albright. Palin is not now and never will be in their league. Palin is not national leader material. It is time to send this female Gomer Pyle back to Alaska.

Posted by: AKwatchman | November 13, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Hilarious.

GOP... this is what you've become: a laughingstock.

Posted by: Christian_in_NYC | November 13, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SlimSovacool | November 13, 2008 2:55 PM

================================
Good coherent argument Slim

Posted by: wise_pharaoh | November 13, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

She's the nightmare on Main St., Wasilla.

Please, someone wake me up!!

Posted by: harry4 | November 13, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Several people have commented on the elliptical nature of Palin's comments, e.g., her own personal brand of "The sentences to Nowhere." There is a brand of idiocy which loves verbosity for its own sake, as though the words, when finally strung together, might actually spell out something meaningful. Such words rarely communicate anything but mental asterisks in the thought process of someone not terribly bright. These are the same people who, without any real educaton, love to quote Shakespeare, e.g., "To thine own self be true, and it shall follow as the night the day that thou canst not be false to any man." Amen. -- pause, drumroll -- The quote is from Hamlet, and the speaker is a verbose idiot who loves to hear himself talk in lofty phrases which mean absolutely nothing. Read Palin's remarks, sort through the word-salad of her tortured peregrinations through the English language, and you find nothing whatsoever of substance. What is truly scary is that there are people who think her profound and thoughtful, and a good candidate to lead America in some future administration. Ye Gods, I hope not.

Posted by: sailmaker1943 | November 13, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

So the campaign against Palin goes on! The supposedly lightweight politician from Alaska continues to attract the attention of the likes of Milbank. The reason, of course, is their fear of her as a potential presidential candidate.

Posted by: suegbic | November 13, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Palin should be encouraged to form her own party of God-fearing white Bubbas and Bubbesses. Her ego might make her go for that. She'll be hived in the Appalachians and the Deep South, and that will keep her out of everyone else's hair. Freed from their shackles to all those bogus Christians (real Christians do not preach hatred), Republicans can then re-discover their roots in moderate conservatism.

Posted by: NormBlon | November 13, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Dear Palinites,

No we are not scared of Sarah, we are just amuzed. With W gone, who will provide fodder for our favorite comics? I must say, we are so relieved there is a suitable substitute, plus this one is not in power, so her goofs are harmless.

Posted by: ualec1 | November 13, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

2012 is going to feature one of the most interesting Republican primary debates of all time...Sarah Palin vs. Mike Huckabee...who will win the God/Joe the Plummer vote, and eventually win a handful of southern states, before they are trounced nationally by someone with more common sense. Then again I think this is the best case scenario for the Republicans right now...if Palin is anywhere near the top of the ticket in 2012, the Republicans may be in even more trouble than they are now, barring Obama turning into Dubya 2, and the US deciding to invade Paraguay, because of something they did to Obama's daddy.

Palin is looking more narcissistic than the leader of her party right now.

Sarah, word of advice, go back to Alaska and do some work, and forget about the designer clothes and pampering. Maybe you have developed too much of a sweet-tooth for the lower 48 (apparently the malls in Alaska suck). Go back up north and hunt some caribou from a blimp, get back to the people that really support you!

Posted by: jro1 | November 13, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Palin: "This group is going to be uniquely qualified to provide leadership in this nation."

This group comes from a party that has just been soundly rejected by the nation.

Posted by: bourassa1 | November 13, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Oh no, Joe Biden will do nicely for the comedians with his insightful refernces and comments i.e. that three (3) letter word, etc.

Posted by: miniscus | November 13, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

As Jay Leno, openly supportive of McCain during and after the campaign, said last night, Sarah Palin was disappointed that she was not allowed to give a concession speech on Election night. She'll get her chance -- in 2012.

Posted by: ronw1 | November 13, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

I don't give the Republicans much credit for insight; however, if they can't see how inept Palin is by the stupid comments she makes to any media person around, they are going to spend a lot of years in the wilderness. Most of the nation has had its fill of her, as indicated by her high negatives. Attention Republican king (and queen) makers: Palin appeals only to those hard, hard right anti-abortion, anti-gay and racist whites, who won't take the time to see what is happening in the world. I suspect the Democrats are loving it.

Posted by: Diogenes | November 13, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Senator McCain for exposing the rest of the country to the Palin virus. Doesn't she realize that most of the country is laughing at her? The more she talks the worse she gets. And she's doing lots of talking.

Posted by: bretb | November 13, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Must be nice.

Governors enjoying Miami, primping with manicures, pedicures, neck and shoulder massages.

GOP Congressmen and women going on a six-day cruise (leaving 11-14), touring the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and Turks and Caicos, enjoying "cocktail receptions, evening cigar and cognac smokers, dinners together, group excursions, and seminar sessions.”

Romney says this cruise "is a chance to look to some of the challenges that are facing our country.”

Unbelievable.

Posted by: ikea1 | November 13, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

I think Sarah Palin will be heard from in the future and I hope she starts as the Senator from Alaska. She may have a few or a lot of rough edges but that doesn't make her stupid.
Her statement to the Governors Convention that they are the leaders to replace the present 'so-called' leaders in Congress should be taken seriously. She has the grit and determination to make things happen.
Mark Carswell, Pembroke Pines, Fl.

Posted by: Mecarswell | November 13, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

The few Republican diehards who commented suggest that Sarah Palin "scares the crap out of you" (meaning Democrats). On the contrary - I devoutly hope this charismatic and attractive woman will be the next Republican nominee.

Some secret vibe seems to be telling Republicans that this relatively untried and incurious person has a hot political future. As I infer above, I hope this trend continues.

Sarah Palin turned off all but the slack-jawed human erections (who think she is sexy), the opposers of abortion under any circumstances and the hardcore right who can't wait for America to start another war with somebody, just as long as they don't have to go themselves. Those groups combined are not enough to win an election, just as they weren't this time.

Posted by: marknesop | November 13, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Palin is like that pimple that just will not go away. You know, the really annoying zit that pops up like Mount St. Helens right on the tip of your nose just before a date when you were a teenager. It's ugly and try as you might to pop the darn thing or get rid of it with creams and other quick fixes, it just lingers, seemingly forever. Indeed, everything you try to get rid of it just makes it worse. It gets bigger and bigger, uglier and uglier. That's what she is: America's ugly and eternal blemish. Will somebody please lance this baby already. Please.

Posted by: agitate | November 13, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Re: GOP should toss Palin overboard ?

Rasmussen Polls on Nov. 7th:

69% of the 56 million GOP Voters say Palin Helped McCain.

Re: Palin is stupid ?

Rasmussen Polling Nov. 7th shows: 30% of Democrats Don't Know Who Harry Reid Is

Maybe they think he is a wizard at Hogwarts ? : )

Posted by: pvilso24 | November 13, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Stop insulting everyone that does not agree with you 100%. It is ok to disagree with someone, that is your 1st amendment right but don't be insulting. I have included four examples below, but there are many others.

"Palin should be encouraged to form her own party of God-fearing white Bubbas and Bubbesses." "She'll be hived in the Appalachians and the Deep South,...(real Christians do not preach hatred), "
"Posted by: NormBlon"
This sounds like hattred from NormBlon.

"female Gomer Pyle back to Alaska.
Posted by: AKwatchman"

"The more this bimbo runs her mouth ...
Posted by: ryanr007"

ryanr007 and AKwatchman, You need to show some respect.

“Please, please, someone, anyone, tape her mouth shut,
Posted by: horace_simon1”

To horace_simon1 don't listen or change the channel. Better yet turn everything off and read the bible.

Posted by: arnoldjwells | November 13, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Thanks John. We'll need to be hearing from SP for years to come thanks to you. Wonderful.

Posted by: MShake | November 13, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

---Posted by: Heerman532

Mr. Haney = The Rove machine, as you said.
Hank Kimball = George W. Bush
Arnold Ziffel = George H. W. Bush
Alf and Ralph Monroe = Hannity and 'Rielly of Fox News.
Lisa Douglas = Sarah Palin
Fred Ziffel = John McCain
Doris Ziffel = Cindy McCain
Newt Kiley = The Red States
Oliver Wendell Douglas = The Blue States
Mr. Drucker = Wall Street

Comment:

Ok, I agree.

But Eva Gabor was actually attractive. Palin is a walking advertisement for Liposuction.

Posted by: Heerman532 | November 13, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BaxterJ | November 13, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

McCain and Company created this Media Monster that will not die. They put this non-thoughtful (ignorant?) chip-on-her-shoulder narcissistic personality disorder in the limelight. The electorate should keeping flogging her in these public blogs until she slinks out of public view, hopefully, forever. She is a danger to the world and the worst of role models for young women and men: Shallowness pretending to be worthy of high office.

Posted by: LWittgenstein2 | November 13, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

It may be the case that the Republican party has an even greater interest in making Palin go away than the Democrats do.

And judging by the leaks which after November 4 (and even before) sprang from McCain's people like a burst dam, it appears that destroying Palin is exactly what the Republicans are trying to accomplish. Character assassination, after all, is what they do best.

Those Republican governors -- and a very large portion of the intellectual wing of the party -- would have liked nothing better than for her to just disappear.

Now that her usefulness to the party is expired, the Republicans will proceed to very quietly dump her.

Posted by: Gladiator2008 | November 13, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Her karma ran over her dogma.

Posted by: thrh | November 13, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

She can go rot in hell (or Alaska) for all I care. If the GOP thinks Palin is their savior they really so not "get it".

Posted by: rcc_2000 | November 13, 2008 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin is the Anna Nicole Smith of politics: she is unable to comprehend that she is the joke.

Posted by: jp11231 | November 13, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Uh, freespeak
You voted for Palin? The tail wags the dog?I thought the old man was running for the top spot. How stupid to vote just for the Moose Mom. Guess that's why y'all lost. She spent NO time on solutions to the country's issues but instead they chose to put on the lipstick and attack. "Country first" was it? Go "FIRST DUDE"!

Posted by: RodneyK | November 13, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin suffers from a "Narcissistic Personality Disorder" and she will not go away until she receives psychological counseling for her disorder.
Good luck to the Republican party who has fed her disorder by introducing her to the world stage, and so exaggerated her minor accomplishments, all of which only serves to worsen her condition.
There are many people who believe she is ambitious, and serves as a role model for women to achieve. Far from it, she is not ambitious, she just feels she is entitled. Everything is all about Sarah. People with this personality disorder are the last people in which we should place the public trust. They are guaranteed to abuse that trust, as exemplified by the whole troopergate issue while in office less than 2 years. The issue with the clothing, and make over purely a sense of entitlement.
As for her looks, it is a matter of taste, but at best in my opinion, she is just a "plain Jane" with a body that needs a lot of work. Maybe she is just putting on fat for the Alaskan winter.
The best thing the media can do to help her is to ignore her, but then that might just make her do more and more outrageous things to get attention, until she is forced into counseling. Either way, we the public will benefit.

Posted by: JamOne1 | November 13, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Can I get any Republican to confirm this is what they have to offer the country in 4-8 years? You'll NEVER make it back. Good riddance to your "un-American polarizing, the "them" vs."us" divisiveness,"we have all the answers" philosophies and partisan based character asassinations.
OUT DAMN SPOT!

Posted by: RodneyK | November 13, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

"We're all starting to get the feeling that Governor Palin actually scares the crap out of you.

Posted by: freespeak | November 13, 2008 12:58 PM "

Naw. It's just loose sphincters from laughing so hard.

Posted by: thrh | November 13, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Hey Sarah, if we need an aging model we'll let you know.

Posted by: binkynh | November 13, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

And CNN was there to televise the entire disgustingly painful thing! Have they lost their minds over there???

Why can't we just turn her completely off now that the election is over? She is getting more air time than the actual loser.

Posted by: buzzsaw1 | November 13, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

THIS DRAMA IS LIKE WATCHING THE CAR-CHASING LAWYERS WAITING FOR THE INEVITABLE ACCIDENT.The newspapers...well,any story will do.
We're now watching the total collapse of the Republican base.
Her quote: The "lack of leadership missing in Washington"...?

Posted by: RodneyK | November 13, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

And I'm like, blah blah blah, and then I'm all, God told me to do this, and like, then I'm like ...

Good grief.

Here is her response to the accusation she didn't know Africa was a continent. I defy you to parse it.

Where do the Republicans GET these people? She makes a mockery of education, of clear-thinking, as do the people who think she's just swell. Can you imagine having this dimwit as president?

I'm all like, no.

Palin: "I don't know, because I remember the discussion about Africa, my concern has been the atrocities there in Darfur and the relevance to me with that issue, as we spoke about Africa and some of the countries there that were kind of the people succumbing to the dictators and the corruption of some collapsed governments on the continent, the relevance was Alaska's investment in Darfur with some of our permanent fund dollars, I wanted to make sure that that didn't happen anymore."

Posted by: monk4hall | November 13, 2008 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Palin wants fame and glory.

If she wanted to help her country she should crawl under a rock and fade into obscurity.

She encourages bigotry. She relies on slogans and shallowness.

She is empty-headed and she should stop pretending that she adds value.

Posted by: robertjames1 | November 13, 2008 6:50 PM | Report abuse

56 million gop voters said she helped McCain? 69% of Americans said she wsan't qualified to be VP. Makes you wonder how smart those gop voters are.

Posted by: mikel7 | November 13, 2008 6:50 PM | Report abuse

"You must be kidding me ... showcasing this narcissist who cannot speak in complete, intelligent sentences and thinks she can get over by being cute and snide, and then off to the salon?"
------------------------
Reminds me of my ex-wife, who thought she was soooo cute, but wasn't at all...

Posted by: michael4 | November 13, 2008 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Egads! I listened to her on Larry King last night. What is wrong with her, she has nonstop words, no sentences, just disjointed words.

And the media (WaPO) can't seem to stop writing about her to squeeze every bit of ratings from this no nothing excuse of a governor. AAaaagh! Go home already!

Posted by: sandnsmith | November 13, 2008 7:03 PM | Report abuse

American voters can be conned into voting for the worst lowlifes with the right advertising campaign.

Fortunately there's enough voters that will do the right thing when they see the truth. It just takes a while for people to see.

There are plenty of voters who will vote for a bad candidate, knowing how bad that candidate is and not caring. Just so long as there's a shared ideology.

Posted by: fredfawcett | November 13, 2008 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Oh and one more thing..if she thinks anyone buys her blaming Katie Couric for her bad performance she is wrong. Katie only asked an open question, and she fell into her stupidity. As a woman, I never want her to represent me!

Posted by: sandnsmith | November 13, 2008 7:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure which I want to say first:

If you think - and have to tell everyone - that God is watching pushing your campaign and wants you to win, then you're saying God doesn't want the other guy to win. If that's the case, while I think God has more important things to do than follow the Palin campaign, HE can put her where HE wants, there needn't be an election, there needn't have been an Obama/Biden or, for that matter, an election. HE could and would have done that, if HE wanted the certain results. Apparently God didn't want Governor Palin to be Vice President.

Second, doesn't the group of Republican governors have better and more important things to do at their gathering than spend hours at "Beauty"? Things such as, oh, trying to determine the problems their constituents face and develop solutions to those problems? Can't any conference, if there needs to be one, be strictly business and results oriented, not lobbyist oriented or recreational? Can't a short time be devoted to, say, work?

Posted by: Dungarees | November 13, 2008 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Keep laughing people. Just remember that most of the people that voted to release the banking and wall street crowd were the same "changed" people that are still in congress. Yea bush (cheny) was president but congress pushed those bills thru. Just take a look at the names of the people on the senate banking committee (Chuck Shummer To name one) and the house speaker (pelosi) et al.

Posted by: papaporce | November 13, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Why the quotes are "press conference?" You liberals have nearly succeeded in destroying the once fine Washington Post with vitriol like this. You hate Sarah Palin because she's a Christian. Can you just admit that? Or are you afraid to? You've demonized this strong woman in a way that you never would a man, yet the feminists say nothing. Sarah, I pray for you and your whole family, and with the rest of the country I wait for you to lead us back to sanity after four years of the Secular Messiah. I for one, am forced by my work to attend the inauguration. But no one can force me to listen to him. I plan on staying inside the Castle, in peace and quiet, warm and reading the Bible probably. We all will need faith to live through the next four years. I can't wait to see all the Catholics who voted for him in the delusion that he would curtail abortion discover that he intends to make it paid for with our money and nearly mandatory. The signs from the Secular Messiah are troubling already. Who will protest when he tries to end talk radio with the oppressive "fairness doctrrine?"

Posted by: MarkFoxenberg | November 13, 2008 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Well - the woman is a bimbo, there is no doubt about that

Tho - funny as hell

I suggest that the Obamas get a pig for their animal. They could put lipstick on it and call it Sarah (oops - my bad)

BUT Alaska already did that
(oops - my bad, AGAIN !)

so maybe a Newfoundland - beautiful dogs - so easy going

adack

Posted by: adack | November 13, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

She apparently believes 'GOD' will eventually give her a sign that 'SHE' has been given a divine path to become the POTUS. 'SHE' believes that 'SHE' will be the 'Chosen One'. What a megalomanic personality. Spooky.

Posted by: amazedatitall | November 13, 2008 7:51 PM | Report abuse

OOPS -my bad, Again ???

H - E - double hockey sticks !!!

adack

FREE HAWAI'I

Posted by: adack | November 13, 2008 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Sarah and Rick--what a combo. If she was smart enough to know his poll numbers she wouldn't be in the same zip code with Rick. Now Rick, he probably thinks that Sarah is smart--too bad she wasn't an Aggie!

I pity the Republicans!

Posted by: rusty3 | November 13, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Oh, how I hope and pray, that at this moment, as the ballots are being counted between Begich and Stevens, that God is showing Sarah, as she has requested, that He is CLOSING the door and dashing her aspirations of a run in the Senate for 6 YEARS!!!! I'm sorry, Alaskans, for not wanting her to do anything in the lower 48, but it would seem only fair that since you voted her in office, that you should be the one's to KEEP her or work like hell to vote her out!

Posted by: msgbill | November 13, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

In case you did not notice, the reason she was giving a press conference 4000 miles from Alaska is because this happens to be where the GOP governors conference is.
It is amazing how Biden's many gaffes are overlooked while Palin is pilloried by the press and your unthinking readers.

Posted by: rpcurt1 | November 13, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Lou Grant must have wanted to strangle mary Richards every episode of the series from episode two on.

Perky Sarah t6he Alaskan Airhead will probably have every moose hunter north of Seattle hoping for a fair shot before Point Barrow sees the full sun.

Expect political cartoonists to add a Chatty Kathy ring to their caricatures before too long, but by 2010 she will long since have talked herself out of the limelight.

Provided Lou Grant doesn't strangle her first.

Posted by: ceflynline | November 13, 2008 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Further my earlier post, why do you publish so many notes that have nothing to do with the article itself (including this one)?
Is this a public blog for closed minded liberals? (and you must admit you are closed minded)

Posted by: rpcurt1 | November 13, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

"Religious Nutcase Right" - Sailmaker 11:48 AM

Reminded me of Palins's interview with Greta Van Susteren of Fox News: "I'm like, okay, God, if there is an open door for me somewhere — this is what I always pray — don't let me miss the open door. Show me where the open door is, even if it's cracked open a little bit, maybe I'll plow right on through that and maybe prematurely plow through it."

No doubt Palin will get a message from God to plow through the door. Who is to check. El Jefe at the White House claimed God told him to go to war. Some people lapped it up. As a non-member of the flock I wish she would.....I mean "plow through the door". She must be charged up after "A day of beauty"! Botox for the governors ? Go Sarah go. I'm like, ecstatic at the thought.

Posted by: probashi | November 13, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Governor Sarah Palin seem much more confident and stronger than ever after the election. She is tough and determined.
Too bad the media did not focus on her reputation as a fighter against corruption, an expert on energy, and a voice
for modern American women balancing work and family. She's wonderful, and I know we haven't seen the last of her!

Posted by: lynnL123 | November 13, 2008 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Barack Obama's colloboration with Hawaii to "seal" his birth certificate is being challenged in a Hawaiian hearing November 18, 2008 in Hawaii.

My simplistic understanding is that since Barack Obama allegedly gave DAILY KOS and WaPo a purported "Certification of Live Birth;" under Hawaiian law, he waived any prohibition of the public seeing his "original" birth certificate.

Circumstantial evidence is since he has a "Certification of Live Birth" vis a vis "Certificate of Live Birth" and following Hawaiian procedures, his "original" birth certificate is most likely from Kenya! Ouch!

Posted by: Archarito | November 13, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Of COURSE Palin is talking to every TV camera in sight. She is a complete and total media creation. 100%. If they go away, she is left with her lonely existence up there where it's dark 22 hours a day in the winter.

Posted by: SteveIowa | November 13, 2008 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Rich Lowry (National Review Online) posted excerpts from his interview with Rick Davis, including:

"On the Couric interview, which Davis says Palin thought would be softer because she was being interviewed by a woman: “She was under the impression the Couric thing was going to be easier than it was. Everyone’s guard was down for the Couric interview.”

This is the most sexist, condescending insult. Palin was dismissive because she was being interviewed by a woman???

Posted by: JWAL1 | November 13, 2008 9:04 PM | Report abuse

The only reason this woman is extending her 15 minutes of fame is because the press is trying to extract all they can out of her reality TV run for the Vice Presidency. Right now they're playing the "sympathy" episode. The big issues of the day - the floundering bailout, the destruction of the auto industry, the highest unemployment in decades - are just too darn difficult for the press to report on in a responsible fashion, Obama's swearing-in isn't till January, and until then we have a lame duck presidency and Congress. So what's to report that will bring in viewers? The grand finale of "Not-so-real Housewife of Wasilla County." Palin provides lots of pointless blather, she can talk for hours without really saying anything, and like the housewives on reality TV she can keep America - and especially Wolf Blitzer - entranced by yapping about shopping, pedicures and beauty sessions.

Posted by: jaysit | November 13, 2008 9:06 PM | Report abuse

JWAL1 posts:

_________________________________________________________

LOL, that Rick Davis is a ridiculous caricature of a man. The truth is that the Couric interview WAS easy. Easy enough for any person of any substance who had a basic knowledge of the world around them. If Couric had asked the same questions of Governor Granholm or Senator Collins or for that matter Angelina Jolie, we'd have thought the questions to be softball ones.

Posted by: jaysit | November 13, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

It is indeed astonishing to consider that the Republican brain trust has fallen from the able hands of William Buckley and George Will to guttersnipes like Rush Limbaugh and James Dobson. The entire Republican party id falling apart like a bag of wet garbage. The Founding Fathers would be appalled.

Posted by: heuristic77 | November 13, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

hueristic77 wrote:
///
///

indeed, it is astonishing.

Posted by: wrock76taolcom | November 13, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Oh jeez! Just when I thought it was safe to go back in the water... Moosejaws is still lurking around - attracted by the scent of GOP blood and a new horizon of opportunity. The dumbing down of America has reached sufficient depths that someone like her actually creates buzz... and hope!

This foolishly self-righteous parody of a once and future leader represents exactly what is wrong with America and exactly what has to disappear from the planet if we are to survive as a humanity.

Posted by: alanms | November 13, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm like... beyond the Palin. Totally.

Posted by: alanms | November 13, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to start ignoring Governor Palin. She's an egomaniac.

Posted by: SarahBB | November 13, 2008 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Enough already from the MSM about the White Trash Queen of Wasilla. Other than a handful of Right Wing Racist Freaks, the country is sick of Caribou Barbie and wants to see this moronic imbecle disappear back to her Alaskan trailer park. She is a national disgrace and a poster child for the breath taking stupidity of her inbred followers.

Posted by: shiva7 | November 13, 2008 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Let's be nice now, if we pick on her too much she's going to take her toys home and not come out any more.

We need her to be the face of the "new" republican party, we need the cleti and gooberatzi to demand of the party elite that she be the next republican candidate for president in 2012.

At least pretend to be nice.

Posted by: khote14 | November 13, 2008 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Reminds me of the old Ma and Pa Kettle movies. Wasilla Hillbillies come to Washington.

Posted by: jellyhouse56 | November 13, 2008 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Watching Palin at campaign rallies, it struck me that there was a synergy between her and the crowds, and that while she got off on it, she really didn't understand it (like a real cynical demagogue does) and certainly couldn't control it. She could say anything that popped into her head. whether it had any basis in fact or not (e.g. "Obama is a socialist"...without seeming to have any idea what the word could mean) and the crowd would howl in rage, which would stoke her up some more, and so on.

When people called her Mooselini I'm afraid they were closer to the truth than they knew, since most of us are not old enough to remember newsreels (before TV!) of Benito Mussolini addressing huge crowds in Rome, whipping up the same animal frenzy and of course ultimately leading to his nation's devastation and his own ugly end at the hands of his countrymen. I fear that some of those passions (which have shown up here somewhat) will not abate but intensify with frustration, and that another McVeigh ---- who thought his act was righteous --- is a real possibility. Certainly the Savages, the Coulters, and the Limbaughs show every sign of continuing to fan those fires. And Palin too, though she seems to lack the ability to understand what she is inciting (although McCain did) will share some responsibility.

BTW...some facts...Ayers and the Weather Underground never killed anyone. They bombed buildings in a desperate, and utterly misguided, protest against the escalation of the Vietnam War. They chose symbolic targets and struck in the middle of the night when no one was around. So far as I remember...and I was in my 20's then...the only people who died were 3 bomb-makers who blew themselves up by accident in their own house. So claims that Ayers and his friends "killed people" are simply wrong. Not that it seems to matter to them.

Posted by: jprfrog | November 14, 2008 12:11 AM | Report abuse

Archarito, Nov 13 -

With all Respect, please understand that Hawai'ian law and the State of Hawaii are TWO different things.

Please do not associate The Kingdom ofHawai'i with what Americans are doing.

adack

FREE HAWAI'I

Posted by: adack | November 14, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

I read somewhere that Sarah Palin might have been Miss August (I'm not sure of the month), but she certainly wasn't Miss November. I think she's proven beyond a doubt that she will never achieve the title of Miss November. You betcha by golly

Posted by: GrannyAnnie | November 14, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin is the most moronic politician ever forced into the national spotlight. She has the conversational skills of a vapid high school cheerleader.

That is quite an accomplishment after the likes of George W. Bush and Dan Quayle (hmmm- all Republicans).

She may be entertaining yet her right wing media supporters are much more amusing when they try every insipid trick possible to validate she is smart and capable.

If she is the best the Elephant Party can do then I suggest they will find more heartache in 2012.

Posted by: MetroDetroitDeeJay | November 14, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Where have you gone Andy Warhol?

Posted by: elaine21 | November 14, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

It's clear to see that the Liberal Extremists and Media Manipulators see a Muggleborn non-elitist, straight talking Sarah Palin as a real threat to cut short your upcoming, dishonorable media manipulated Presidential reign, in 2112.

Keep 'HACKING'.

Keep lying and misrepresenting the facts.

Keep telling people who are too lazy to check the facts that a Governor who DID STATE GOVERNMENT BUSINESS with NAFTA doesn't know who its members are.

Posted by: rdeuel | November 14, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Good for Palin. I truly believe she is feared by some because of her outright and plain honesty. She has it all going for her and has a clean slate. Best of all she is squeeky clean!

Posted by: bud2587 | November 14, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Beauty Day....when Republicans can figure out how to differentiate themselves from AIG get together's and others of their large corporate sponsors they enable like BIG OIL, they will have a chance at winning elections...
Palin needs to go home and enroll in some political science classes...she has beauty and winning pageants knocked....but not her latest gig...she lost and so did the Republicans...and take it from a woman who supports women in large roles...if the Republicans think she is a 2012 front end candidate they will loose election again and if they continue with extreme isolationist thinkers like Sarah...they will continue their losses to the point of irrelevance...
Time for reaching the whole electorate pie and not the piece meal, slice by slice of pie they keep enabling and targeting; McCain did it BIG TIME and the results make my point.
Sarah is a right wing extremist and brought nothing to the ticket except a hostile crowd of cheer gatherers...sick if you ask me, divisive, shameful and boring.
The speech she gave yesterday in Miami and the puppet governors standing behind her, was painful to listen too and watch.
She spins, says nothing, doesn't know when to shut up, go home, and get out of the way.
I find her ideas non-existent, her speeches all through circular and too much blabbing... and her aggressiveness, a turn off...
No Thanks! Republicans have work to do to re-birth their image and platform, for sure; she is not helpful to this mission and cause...Thank you Dana.

Posted by: llafair1 | November 14, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

About 98% of these posts are abusive, hateful, offensive and without any substance.
The old saying that it is better to be thought of as an ass rather than to open your mouth and prove it is also appropiate for the written word. Most of the trash in these responses does not even qualify as intelligence, let alone thoughtful ideas.

What SlimSovacool posted November 13, 2008 2:55 PM is the most worrisome. His baseless rant against religion and anyone who believes in a higher being sounds more like a revisionist theory or even a indoctrination speech to teach what they want people to believe rather than the truth.
The greatest danger we face is that our children are raised, similar to a lot of third world countries, to believe an ideology of hate for everything that this country was founded on.

Posted by: mjjp | November 14, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

*****Best of all she is squeeky clean!*****

You're either party-above-all-Republican or a complete and total idiot (sorry for the redundancy)

Posted by: Jerryvov | November 14, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

misunderestimate? come on!

Posted by: pabo2 | November 14, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I encourage Governor Palin to stay in the spotlight...the more she exposes herself the more of an idiot she will be seen to be. She is just the kind of visibility the Rep's don't need, yet, I say to her,
"Bring it on"....lol.

Posted by: skiloypet | November 14, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin reminds me of some students in my freshman college history classes. When given an assignment to write a paper, they fill the pages with nonsense just to fill the pages. Most of them I want to toss in the waste can, but feel sorry for them and send them to the writing lab.

Posted by: pabo2 | November 14, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Sailmaker1943 compares Palin's utterances to those of Polonius. Perhaps because he is treated as a pompous windbag by Hamlet and his mother, he is often played that way, but I defy anyone to read his speeches, particularly his advice to his son, and find anything unwise or inarticulate in them. Equating her in any way with Polonius is unjustifiable flattery.

Posted by: egmcc | November 14, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm really glad that the dear lady continues to be in the news. It's lovely to have continued sightings of the chosen VP candidate of the losing party of the race. She continues to remind us of various reasons they lost.

Also- has anyone heard when the Republican party is having the sale of the gently worn clothes purchased for Sarah? The last I heard, she was sorting through clothes to ensure all socks and underwear were returned to their rightful owners (since they were never her property). I figure I may be able to purchase a few bargains at cut rate prices, items I could never afford to pay full price for...

Posted by: Tripodd | November 14, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

God will open the doors for evangelicals all right,the doors of hell.They think that singing hymns will absolve them of all sins.They do not believe in charity, despise the poor, blame them for everything,while they cheat and rob every body in the name of their true god;Mamon

Posted by: gko33478 | November 15, 2008 4:18 AM | Report abuse

funny as hell ending to this article and more truth on-point when read along with straight reports

Posted by: oldmagnolia | November 15, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin and Rick (Good Hair) Perry - as Molly Ivins called him. I haven't read the comments above, but golly, I miss Molly Ivins. I would have loved to read her take on the just ended campaign, especially on Sarah Palin.

Posted by: vklip | November 17, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

"they fill the pages with nonsense just to fill the pages. Most of them I want to toss in the waste can, but feel sorry for them and send them to the writing lab.
Posted by: pabo2"
Yes, much like these posts. While I agree that Palin wasn't qualified to be VP and listening to her can make you wince, it seems pointless and really a bit annoying to see her continually ridiculed. Apparently, there are a lot of people with sad, empty lives out there.

Posted by: Lilycat1 | November 18, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse