The Jon Stewart rally and the irony equation

It's happening. The Jon Stewart rally -- Rally To Restore Sanity 2010 -- and the dueling Stephen Colbert rally -- March to Keep Fear Alive -- are officially scheduled for the Mall this October.

sanitycap.bmp

This makes so much sense. Even putting aside the fact that Colbert is an explicit parody of conservative pundits of the Glenn Beck stripe, they attract the same kind of rabid fans who feel that, for whatever reason, the mainstream media is doing them a disservice.

Rachel Maddow or Keith Olbermann or, uh, whoever that guy is on CNN couldn't possibly generate the kind of excitement that Stewart and Colbert have managed to drum up. Don't get me wrong -- those liberal pundits both have great hair and lots of opinions, and if they want me to appear on their shows and say insightful things about finance, I'd be happy to oblige. But the true counterweights on the left to the crowd-rousers on the right are the comedians.

It's all about the irony.

The simple equation states that:

Glenn Beck = Stephen Colbert - Irony; or, put another way,

Glenn Beck + Irony = Stephen Colbert

Irony is a bizarre thing. But it's the dividing line between the two enthusiastic wings -- and it's getting narrower all the time. "I don't actually like Basil Marceaux," people say. "I just love him! He's too much! If that makes sense!" Remember how close people came to voting for him? Or when Alvin Greene asked Wonkette to make his website, mistaking her "enthusiastic embrace of his campaign" for, uh, an enthusiastic embrace of his campaign?

Take trucker hats and plaid. There are two explanations for the fact that you are wearing plaid and a trucker hat: 1. You are, in fact, a trucker and 2. You are an ironic hipster on your way to hear a band whose name is based on a quotation from a movie or an obscure historical event. Same thing goes for drinking PBR or loving Larry the Cable Guy. And look at "The Room," which is quickly becoming a pretty successful movie.

But so far, the ability to put quotation marks around your actions is the prerogative of young people, and these people tend to be left-leaning. You never hear someone say, "I voted for Obama, but only ironically." In fact, there hasn't been much ironic voting, except in Iceland, where all those people decided to elect a comedian mayor. Maybe Christine O'Donnell's supporters felt the same way.

Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert get this.

There are two things about irony. One is that doing things ironically allows you to make fun of the people who would actually do these things. "But hold up," I hear someone objecting, the hypothetical person to whom I am explaining what irony is. "Why is there a distinction between people who do things actually and who do things ironically? You're both wearing trucker hats!" No, we're not! I'm "wearing" this trucker hat. That trucker is wearing it because he wants to wear a hat, and he's a trucker.

But the other thing about irony -- as my hypothetical interlocutor points out -- is that it allows people who wouldn't ordinarily wear trucker hats to wear them.

That's what these rallies are all about.

Lady Gaga understands irony as well. She isn't wearing a meat dress because she thinks that's a good idea. She is wearing it as a commentary. You can do almost anything as long as you insist that it was a commentary afterwards. "Why are you responding to that Craigslist ad looking for "pussycat doll-style dancers?" my friends demand. "I'm not actually responding," I explain. "This is a commentary on people who really do that." "But you responded," they point out. "And just moments ago, you were gyrating to 'Buttons.'"

That's the problem with irony: if you go too far with it, you might start actually liking these things. It's the story of our whole generation. Once I started saying "totes!" for "totally" as an ironic commentary on people who say "totes!" Now I can't stop! I started playing the accordion ironically -- a fact that I kept insisting to my neighbors as they threw things at me and threatened to call the cops if I continued -- and now I cry a little when I hear Yorba Linda. It's a slippery slope. I started watching America's Most Wanted ironically, on Saturday nights at 9, and I wound up applying to get a job there. They didn't hire me -- mainly, I suspect, because I showed too much enthusiasm and kept calling their office after hours to insist that I could make a difference.

Now that I've discovered this slippery slope of irony, one of the things that keeps me awake at night is the idea that maybe, at one point, the Tea Partyers that so alarm the Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert rallyers were just like them. They started watching Glenn Beck ironically. "I like this man," they told themselves. "He understands the Hitler meme. And he yells a lot. He's like a more hardcore Stephen Colbert." Then began the slide. "I'm going to the rally," they told their spouses. "But just ironically." "Do you mind if we have a 'tea party' here?" they come back and ask. "Look, it's in quotes!" But then one morning they wake up and forget to put the quotation marks on. And, boom! America is polarized.

Think about it. Meanwhile, I'd better go get my trucker hat. I've got a rally to attend.

By Alexandra Petri  | September 17, 2010; 4:00 PM ET
Tags:  Petri
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lady Gaga's latest video -- it's no Alejandro
Next: Katherine Schwarzenegger's new book!

Comments

Lady Gaga couldn't spell irony. She's a clown of Madonna, who was herself a clown.

Posted by: anarcho-liberal-tarian | September 17, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

This may be my favorite critique of anything, ever.

Posted by: molsonmich | September 17, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Re-assess, young lady, and pay heed to Sir Mr Dr Colbert:

There is nothing "ironic" about our nation's mounting fear deficit!

Posted by: MIkeMc123 | September 17, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Listen, smart guy, I drink Pabst because it's beer and it's cheap. Perhaps Rachel Maddow will ask you to appear and say something insightful about that. But I won't be watching.

Posted by: aerodrome1 | September 17, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Whatever dude. I've already purchased my ticket: http://www.lowfareking.com/hotels/usa/washington-dc/washington/

Posted by: travelguru | September 17, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

TL; DR.

Posted by: simpleton1 | September 17, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Let me guess: you have been diving deep in the sea of rhetoric. Glenn Beck = Stephen Colbert - irony? That's like saying Obama = Bush - all kinds of crazy.
The date is Oct 30. Please be there. With the latest edition of Williams. We need to restore your sanity and teach you irony.

Posted by: HudakenEnsagh | September 17, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Your point seems to be that Jon Stewart can get away with doing lots of similar things to Glenn Beck in the name of irony.

But the key difference is that Jon Stewart's statements are based on actual facts. That's the real reason we love him --- he finds information that makes it clear his targets deserve to be mocked.

By contrast, Glenn Beck and the other folks at Fox "News" consistently use distorted and inaccurate facts. That's why we mock them --- they seem biased, hypocritical, and just plain wrong.

Posted by: rusiskin | September 18, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

The buzz of this rally is exploding because Jon Stewart has offered up a venue for the people who are sick and tired of the Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck, Palin, and the Teabaggers shouting as if they represent "us". If it takes the court jester to allow our voice to be heard, so be it. He may be our court jester, but he's also one of the most trusted newsmen of our day, right up there with the best of them. By this simple act, he has energized the silent majority. See you at the rally.

Posted by: debinoregon | September 19, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

So, can you clear it up - are you being a journalist, or only ironically acting like one? Me thinks the latter.

Posted by: razedbrow | September 19, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Are all rallies a slippery slope into demagoguery? I don't think so. Both Hitler and MLK used rallies. It is a basic means of expressing voice in US politics.

I like the message behind Stewart's rally. I agree with him that American political discourse would be helped by moving towards discussion of substance, and away from histrionic polemics, tabloidism and political salaciousness purveyed by the media.

It is also quite telling that this article concentrates on the same kind of garbage that Stewart criticizes in this rally and in general. It spends valuable public sphere space drawing moral equivalencies between Beck and Stewart, and wondering about the possible slide of Stewart into demagoguery. Do you actually have anything to say about the basic message behind this rally: that many Americans want maturity, pragmatism and a focus on governance issues in their politics? You don't have to support or even respect the view, but at least engage the issue and not the people making them.

My guess is that you don't, because articles like these are more titillating, easier to write, and probably draw wider audiences than substantive political or media analysis. Yes, CNN, Fox, MSNBC et al. focus on histrionics, tabloid politics and spectacle politics because they draw audiences more easily than, say, NPR, PBS or CSPAN. However, if you are most interested in drawing audiences by entertaining them without engaging substantive issues, is there really a difference between "journalists" like you and comedians like Stewart or Colbert?

And therein might lie the reason that Stewart gains so much public attention. Often, he ends up being more substantive than the actual journalists (particularly on media analysis). He's also much more entertaining than you too.

Posted by: josephncohen | September 20, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Very amusing piece.

"When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth." - George Bernard Shaw

Posted by: bpai_99 | September 21, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse