NPR fired Juan Williams for this? My plane danger list.

Commentator Juan Williams was fired by NPR after his comments that "I get worried. I get nervous" when he gets on the plane and sees people "in Muslim garb" who are "identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims."

Setting aside the question of whether this is appropriate, I want to make certain it doesn't happen to me.

For the record, here's who I'm terrified of seeing when I get on the plane. If I ever go on Bill O'Reilly (hint: in person, I look far less like a yak with Dutch Elm) I will admit to all of these.

• People who "identify first and foremost as the owners of small, yapping dogs."
  • People who identify first and foremost as babies.
  • People who identify first and foremost as "indulgent parents who want you to hear their child's opinion about the airplane, Dora the Explorer, and his favorite breeds of truck."
  • People whose crates emit mysterious noises that suggest they have recently performed an exorcism and are bringing the demon with them to release it back into Miami.
  • People who identify first and foremost as obviously preferring one of their children to the other, allowing one of them to hog two seats and placing the other one in the overhead compartment
  • People who identify first and foremost as working in marketing and want to tell you about their exciting plans for a start-up that is "like Twitter, but more so."
  • People who refuse to help me finish my crossword puzzle! C'mon, guys! Four letters, Elvis's middle name!
  • This girl I sat next to once on an airplane who kept looking over at me, shaking her head, and then making entries in her "Sin Diary" for the entirety of our two-hour flight to Orlando.
  • People who begin the flight by asking, "You can tell when your water breaks, right?"
  • People who identify first and foremost as stand-up comedians telling you used airplane jokes. "Airline food! It's awful! I would say it's like cardboard, but that would be an insult to my mother!"
  • snakes

By Alexandra Petri  | October 21, 2010; 1:21 PM ET
Tags:  Alexandra Petri
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Glenn Beck goes Ape; McCain vs. McCain; Ritzy Harry Reid
Next: After GQ's Glee photos and Miley Cyrus's new video, a plea

Comments

Top 10 Ethnicities Feared by Juan Williams:

...and you TOO...

-jjg
Gravelle.us

Posted by: jgravelle | October 21, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I have listened to Mr. Juan Williams, for many years on the radio. I usually find the commentary interesting and stimulating.

I have never been offended by Mr. Williams, while on a very few occations I may have taken exception to some comment.

I think that NPR should not have fired Mr. Williams. His "honest" comment on the Bill O'Rielly program; reflects an intermost thought, a soul searched feeling.

Since when is it a crime to think. When did the "THOUGHT POLICE" take over.

Mr. Williams deserves a fair public hearing.

PS,,,,,Who made this decision ??????

Posted by: JAMadison4 | October 21, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Petri Dish Can Dish Stupidity . . . Free Speech!!!

Posted by: redrocksjane | October 21, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Although I may disagree with Mr. Williams on many topics, his love for his country is as great as mine. I have worn this country's uniform and spilled blood in its defense. I sacarificed so that we can voice our opinions like Mr. Williams. Since when is telling the truth dictated or sensored by political correctness? Ms. Petri, obviousely you are cowering behind the same political correctness shield many so called Americans do today. Truth is truth. If I am not comfortable with something or someone I do not compromise my opinion for the sake of political correctness. Neither does Mr. Williams. Wake up America, we are loosing ourselves everytime honesty is prosecuted. Some of us won't hide the truth anymore. And Ms. Petri, remember, children are a gift that are not for all to share. Thank God, because obviousely we are not all intended to make good parents. Just play the cards you were dealt and don't let your envy come through so easily.

Posted by: caseyubias | October 21, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I don't quite know how to reply to this(Juan Williams fired); does this mean that all I will now hear from NPR are those who have been carefully screened by NPR? Do you fear reactions from Islam if they are offended?
Your lack of respect for another's right to opinion scares me far more than Islam because you are fighting against our second greatest safeguard of our nation, the Constitution and the right to free speech, and that without retribution.

Posted by: buttolph | October 21, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

NPR has just shown that if you do not think and say what they think and say you are out as a employee and by all means do not say any thing on FOX. I my self do not always agree with Mr. Williams I respect that he has an opinion. Now as to his comment that got him fired. I think he was acting like most people ( not all) that when you get on a plane and see some in Muslim drees you get more apprehensive. When I fly I'm much more aware of who is their on the flight than before 911 but that is called being human.

Posted by: freedon | October 21, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Aron. A-R-O-N.

Posted by: klaw009x | October 21, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

I thought Elvis' middle name was Aaron...

Posted by: ttwiggle | October 21, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

I thought his middle name was "The Pelvis". But I found the answer on the Internet, which is: "Whatever you want it to be." And that's no lie, and it's no damn lie either.

First it was Aron, but Elvis tried to change it to Aaron when he was older, but found out they messed it up and it was already Aaron, but she said 4 letter word so the answer is "Pelv."

P Dish, I love your Elvis columns!

Posted by: divtune | October 21, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

@jgravelle
jjg, those pics are a hoot! Especially this one:

I saw this guy at the Marine Corps recruiting office a few days ago, but "Don't Ask" me about it because he told me "Don't Tell" anyone. For some reason, he didn't show up for his follow up appointment today.

Oh shirt, my boss was behind me and read this. Anyone know of any job openings?

Posted by: divtune | October 21, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Petri's belittling comments of Mr. William's heartfelt fear smacks of racism. She has finally outed herself.

Posted by: illogicbuster | October 22, 2010 6:46 AM | Report abuse

@illogicalBuster

If you'd bother to read Alexandra's bio you'd discover that she's the product of a Kenyan mother and a Wooki father (just look at her photo).

Your accusation is a high tech lynching of an uppity half-wooki just trying to get ahead.

You owe her... no, I DEMAND you apologize! Pray on it, and have a nice day.

Posted by: divtune | October 22, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Now that the Supreme Court has ruled that corporations are people, lower courts have been ordering psychological evaluations when they misbehave. This is an excerpt from one such evaluation:

Shrink: Tell me about your mother.

FoxNews: I'm a corporation, I don't have a mother. Did you go to the Harvard School for Pinheads?

Shrink: OK, your parent company, Rupert Murdoch's NewsCorp, forced you to say whatever he wanted throughout your childhood. How do you feel about that?

FoxNews: You ARE a pinhead. Corporations don't have feelings.

Shrink: Are you aware of all the unconscious hostility you're projecting onto NPR for firing Juan Williams?

FoxNews: Well, if it's unconscious, how could I be aware of it? You're a dumb, Harvard pinhead.

Shrink: Well, do you deny that you've fired hundreds of reporters at Fox News for saying things that didn't fit NewsCorp's ultra conservative agenda? Aren't you falsely accusing NPR of doing what you've actually been doing all along?

FoxNews: PINHEAD! You're fired.

DIAGNOSIS: 1. Sociopath 2. Pinhead Disorder