Rand Paul supporter asks for apology from woman he stomped? An apology guide

Doesn't anyone understand how apologies are supposed to work?

First, Virginia Thomas calls Anita Hill to demand an apology for whatever it was that happened 20 years ago.

I know our culture is full of confusing cues about apologizing. There's that old saying that love means never having to say you're sorry. This led to a lot of confusion in my past relationships. "If I say I love you, then apologize, which one didn't I mean?"

Then there's that Elton John song (this week's theme!) about how sorry seems to be the hardest word.

In fact, apologies are simple. An apology, from the Greek apo + logia, which roughly translates to "I am fairly certain that wasn't my fault, but I want to rehabilitate my public image," is something that Person A says to Person B when Person A has wronged Person B in some way, or Person B has complained about Person A to someone else, for instance, the news media.

The following are a few scenarios in which apologies are called for.

- You inadvertently award the Nobel Peace prize to the wrong political dissident crusader for human rights, because of a Google Translator error.

- While out hunting with a friend, you shoot him with buckshot. You are vice president of the United States.

- You attempt (unsuccessfully) to assassinate someone, then find yourself sitting next to him at a dinner party.

For all other scenarios, I've prepared a handy chart. Next time, consult this before you demand or offer an apology!

apologize.GIF

By Alexandra Petri  | October 27, 2010; 11:22 AM ET
Categories:  Petri  | Tags:  Rand Paul, Virginia Thomas, apologies
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: DiFi sees doom; Rand Paul supporter votes with his feet; Soros drops $1 million for marijuana
Next: What is wrong with Joe Miller?

Comments

Why isn't this NAZI in JAIL for assault and battery???

Posted by: thomasmc1957 | October 27, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

He wants an apology?? What's next? Blacks should apologize to white southerners for having been slaves and ruining the "Southern Lifestyle"? Unions should apologize to Corporations for demanding a 40 hour workweek and labor contracts? Rape victims should apologize to rapists for "asking for it"? How about Jews should apologize to the Nazis?

When will Republicans ever take responsibility for an unnecessary war and a wrecked economy??? America waits for the right wing radical ideologues to apologize for destroying the country!

Posted by: thebobbob | October 27, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

@thomasmc1957 NAZI? Really?? For crying out loud, try to be part of the SOLUTION, not part of the PROBLEM! The man is a hateful person that obviously needs to be punished. But he's not a freaking Nazi! And just in case you were wondering? The communists? Also NOT Nazis! Can we please stop using inflammatory words just for the sake of being inflammatory??

Posted by: stefienquix | October 27, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Oh man. This yokel is just asking for it. The balls on this guy.

Posted by: Mighty7 | October 27, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm not surprised. These bagheads and their hypocrisy. They love government checks but hate taxes. They scream for spending cuts but demand flying 1st class. They insist on an oppressive interpretation of the constitution. And lies, racism, and violence are acceptable in the political forum.

Last but not least, faith in jesus but not in His teachings...

Posted by: USA4ALL | October 27, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

"Now Tim Profitt, the Rand Paul supporter who subdued a woman by stepping on her is saying she should apologize to him."

Well, if we're all wishing for things, I wish I could see someone stepping on Profitt's face.

Posted by: USA4ALL | October 27, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: USA4ALL | October 27, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

THE MOTIVE OF THE GOON SQUAD: FORBID DISSENT

KYSTteven56: wrote, ".... Even frickin' BarefootandProgressive said Paul was nowhere near when it happened...: (WHEN he claimed “this blog was a joke.”)

THE JOKE is you and your denizens of tea party extremists -- who universally DENY the truth in every situation.

IF you can only LOOK AT THE FACTS (un-slanted and unvarnished) in EVERY situation ... your ignorance would not so pitiful.

NOW LOOK AT THE VIDEOTAPE... DO YOUR EYES not recognize the FACTS :

THE 23-YR WOMAN WAS FIFTEEN FEET from the candidate (not a danger).

SHE was only HOLDING A PAPER SIGN ... NOT A DAGGER! Was she attempting to injure Rand with a paper cut ?

SHE was strong-armed and thrown onto the pavement on her face BY 6 BURLY campaign organizers.

WHAT IS THE MOTIVE OF THIS GOON SQUAD? Control DISSENT ... of a frail woman barely out of her TEENS?

THAT is what young people are to SUPPOSED do,

Posted by: iconklee | October 27, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

He obviously over-reacted, unprofessional, no excuse. But the MoveOn person was rushing Rand Paul, shoving the sign into his face. The MoveOn person was definitely an antagonist, these people attend all the rallies and their sole purpose is to start trouble and get it on camera for the "Democratic Propoganda Machine."
Don't play into their hands....

Posted by: ohioan | October 27, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ohioan | October 27, 2010 2:02 PM

Don't play into their hands....

-------------------------------
Yes, the MoveOn person should have been retrained. They should apologize for trying to interrupt the rally, and Profitt should apologize for excessive force.

Posted by: mencik | October 27, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

I went to a rally for Harry Reid, and was accosted by a group of tea partiers. One's sign read: "I have a gun and I'm not afraid to use it on liberals". It didn't occur to me to demand an apology, because I understand "We the people" means giving everyone a voice...even filthy, woman-beating, hypocritical, anarachists.

Posted by: bobeekay | October 27, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Forget apologies. Were are the civil authorities? This was assault and battery.

Posted by: JustinCC9 | October 27, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry Alex, but sometimes I absolutely love your writing. I tried to follow your apology flowchart, but I just got caught in an infinite loop of re-reading your column.

I'll have to admit that when I saw that "Stomp" video (nice beat), I thought to myself, "What's that on the road, a head?" And that stomper-person sure looked a lot like you without your wig.

But I'll still love you no matter how many leftist CommiNazi Orgheads who won't MoveOn that you stomp. No apologies necessary.

Posted by: divtune | October 27, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

In the alternate universe that is the GOP, victims apologize to their perpetrators.
Remember that dude Dick Cheyney shot in the face? He survived, luckily -- to apologize to Mr. Cheyney -- for getting shot in the face.

It may well be that it's us, not them. Imagine that.
Egads!

Posted by: E_Wanjiru | October 27, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

If I'm an american, I'd put cash under the mattress.

Posted by: hsr06011 | October 28, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse