What is wrong with Joe Miller?

Some journalists and bloggers have been stalking the Alaska Republican Senate nominee to see whether he's receiving military disability benefits, and, if so, for what. The court-ordered release of documents from his last workplace, the Fairbanks North Star Borough local government, only deepens the mystery. The judge had medical information redacted, causing the documents -- a series of 2009 e-mails released late Tuesday -- to read like a Mad Libs exercise. (We encourage readers to fill in the blanks in the comments section of this post.)

Writes Miller to a colleague in an e-mail:

I'm scheduled for _______ in Anchorage on Monday, _______ is Thursday in Anchorage. I don't know what the recovery time is and won't know until after my _______ on Thursday. Apparently, the _______________my _______.

Miller also writes:

"Although the ______ is serious, it's my understanding that this type of _____ does not have an extensive recovery period."

And then this:

"Again, although the reason for the leave was for my ______ (completed), ______ (completed), and ______ (canceled but being rescheduled locally), it was submitted as personal leave."

And this:

"I canceled my _____ with VA in Anchorage yesterday and am now trying to reschedule with Wade."

A supervisor writes to Miller:

"You cannot obtain leave on the basis that you need _____ immediately and keep the leave when that circumstance changes significantly."

One colleague writes to another colleague:

"The message Diane got from the doctor sounds like Joe cancelled the ______, not the doctor. It was phrased something like. . . . I just wanted to let you know that Joe Miller cancelled his _____ scheduled for today."

Another e-mail between colleagues says:

"If he cancelled it then I can only conclude that his earlier representation essentially that it was _________ because the problem was ________ is bogus."

Whatever the blank was wrong with Miller, his colleagues seemed to agree that he was under a great deal of pressure and was not to be trusted. In various e-mails and other documents from 2008 and 2009, related to Miller's leave-taking and his use of colleagues' computers for political purposes (which he then covered up), they make the following observations:

"This behavior is bizarre."

"We did disable his key card access on Friday, and are submitting a request to change the door code for our department."

"It has been apparent in the last several months that you are under significant stress and it has affected your judgment."

"I expect that you will work hard to rebuild the co-worker relationships that were harmed due to your actions."

"While on administrative leave, you are not to enter the workplace area for any purpose. . .."

"I had everyone change their computer passwords."

"I was just really mad at him and confused by his behavior."

"My blood is boiling at his continued misrepresentations here."

"I think that further conversation with him is unwise at this point, and that we should just document the events for his file."

It sounds, in other words, as if he'll fit in perfectly in the U.S. Senate.

By Dana Milbank  | October 27, 2010; 2:23 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rand Paul supporter asks for apology from woman he stomped? An apology guide

Comments

He certainly fits the Republican Tea Party mold, which takes Cheney's "F* you" to a new level.

It is not at all fair to imply others even remotely sink to this level.

Posted by: csaether | October 27, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Given his proclivity to lie and continue the time honored Republican tradition of saying one thing and doing another - of claiming every last benefit he can and denying it to everyone else I feel the voters should be able to find out why he was given a medical discharge from military service - was it mental, was it something real or truly incurred in the line of duty?

From everything I've read about this guy I would not doubt he was discharged to hide something dishonorable and because he went to West Point the military covered it up. He was able to buy property and earn a good living while applying for hardship status in Alaska, he is against Medicare and Social Security even though his family has existed on the benefits even when they are not truly qualified (making too much money). He believes himself a rock star as does Palin - time to send him to a rock pit with a hammer and let him do some honest work for once.

Posted by: Lemon7221 | October 27, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I figured out the blanks:

"Again, although the reason for the leave was for my shock treatment (completed), lobotomy brain surgery (completed), and mental health counselling (canceled but being rescheduled locally), it was submitted as personal leave."

Posted by: doctorplunk | October 27, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

A typical Republican Bozo ... lie, cheat & steal then say what a good Christian you are & condemn every one else for their different beliefs. Did you see where one of Ron Pauls Staff kicked a girl in front of TV cameras for opposing the idiot from Kentucky. Does anyone truly believe that the t-bags will make it to Washington ?

Posted by: wasaUFO | October 27, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

I'm still confused about his beard. That's what my face would look like if I didn't shave for 4 days. But I would have a hard time keeping it at that 4 day stubble every day. Didn't know beard trimmers had a setting that short.

Posted by: Booyah5000 | October 28, 2010 4:38 AM | Report abuse

Why would palin, bachmann and de mint come to his aid and have a rally for him in Alaska after his unethical behavior was determined.

I don't understand this mentality. Why would you want to send somebody so amoral to the Senate and at the same time rail against corruption in the Senate?

Words fail...

Posted by: mgardener | October 28, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Great article, Dana. Miller is in free fall
and people are moving toward McAdams, esp.
since they see that he's moving up. People
are encouraged to vote their (Alaskan) values, not their fears.
lkh

Anchorage, AK.

Posted by: lkharter | October 28, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm scheduled for preliminary erectile dysfunction surgery in Anchorage on Monday, the surery to insert the hydraulic prosthesis is Thursday in Anchorage. I don't know what the recovery time is and won't know until after my prosthesis insertion on Thursday. Apparently, the hydraulic prosthesis will mean my penis will not be as firm as previously so my wife will probably leave me.

Miller also writes:

"Although the erectile dysfunction is serious, it's my understanding that this type of hydraulic prosthesis does not have an extensive recovery period."

And then this:

"Again, although the reason for the leave was for my surgery to correcy my limp, droopy, and flaccid penis (canceled but being rescheduled locally), it was submitted as personal leave."

And this:

"I canceled my surgery with VA in Anchorage yesterday and am now trying to reschedule with Wade."

A supervisor writes to Miller:

"You cannot obtain leave on the basis that you need a hard dick immediately and keep the leave when that circumstance changes significantly."

One colleague writes to another colleague:

"The message Diane got from the doctor sounds like Joe cancelled the penile surgery, not the doctor. It was phrased something like. . . . I just wanted to let you know that Joe Miller cancelled his penis scheduled for today."

Another e-mail between colleagues says:

"If he cancelled it then I can only conclude that his earlier representation essentially that it was a war injury because the problem was mental in nature is bogus."

Posted by: xavier6 | October 29, 2010 12:28 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps the judge redacted the medical records because those are "legally" "private". Being a "judge" and all, he may have just gone ahead and made a ruling according to the "law".

Posted by: gorak | October 31, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse