Teen goes on hunger strike for royal-wedding invite
What would you do for an invitation to Prince William and Kate Middleton's wedding?
Most royal fans gave up hope when formal invitations to the April 29 ceremony were mailed this week -- but not Estibalis Chavez.
The 19-year-old high school student has set up camp outside the British Embassy in Mexico City and says she has not eaten for more than a week -- in hopes of attracting enough attention that the prince and his fiancee will hear of her efforts and invite her.
Reuters reported this morning that the teen -- in pigtails, braces and glasses -- has posted fliers outside the embassy asking, "Are they going to let me die just because they wouldn't give me an invitation to the royal wedding?" and "This is my only dream." Chavez told that reporter she has subsisted on water the past eight days.
The British Embassy has confirmed that Chavez began a vigil last week, the Associated Press reports. But her efforts are unlikely to be successful.
A statement from the embassy, AP notes, said that "Buckingham Palace regrets that there are no more spots available."
| February 18, 2011; 8:19 PM ET
Categories: Guest list, Kate Middleton, Media coverage, Prince William | Tags: Autumn Brewington
Save & Share: Previous: CONTEST: Design Kate Middleton's wedding dress
Next: No royal-wedding invite for Sarah Ferguson
Posted by: PorthosAD | February 18, 2011 10:55 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: silencedogoodreturns | February 20, 2011 5:17 PM | Report abuse