Firefox Update Plugs Security Holes

Mozilla has issued an update that fixes some design and security flaws in its Firefox Web browser. The new update is version 1.0.4, and fixes six separate security issues in the browser software.

To download the update, you have a few options: Download and install it manually, or use Firefox's updater tool, by clicking on "Tools" in the menu at the top of the browser window, then "options," then the "Advanced" tab. Scroll down to the section that says "software update" (and make sure there's a check mark next to both "extensions" and "firefox"). Then hit the button that says "check now" and it should find the update for you.

Alternatively, if you see a little red arrow in the upper right hand corner of your screen, click on that and it will prompt you to download the update.

I give Firefox high marks for fixing these flaws so quickly, but this update caused at least one of my extensions -- "Forecastfox" -- to stop working. No big deal, though, I'll live. Updated extensions are usually available within a few days of a Firefox upgrade, so keep an eye out for that little red arrow to show up again soon after you update if you have extensions installed.

By Brian Krebs  |  May 12, 2005; 10:46 AM ET
Categories:  New Patches
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MasterCard: Phishing Attacks Up, but Losses Flat
Next: Video Guide To Securing Your Computer

Comments

That's odd, I updated this morning, and Forecastfox is working just fine for me. I did a re-install over the 1.03 instead of the update.

--DT

Posted by: DT | May 12, 2005 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I just did the upgrade via the "little red arrow" and ForcastFox is working fine.

Posted by: Denis | May 12, 2005 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Ditto for me: updated over 1.03 and Forecastfox appears to be working fine.

Posted by: Dave | May 12, 2005 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I just tried to update via the Check Now for software updates. It just hangs. I left it for about 30 minutes,then canned it.

Not impressed.

Posted by: trent | May 12, 2005 7:55 PM | Report abuse

those instructions are completetly wrong to update from the browser Tools does not lead to options on mine!

Posted by: sk | May 13, 2005 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Ok guys, if you post a link to a down load you have to tell us thats its not for mac - so now the question is are your instructions for updates in Gates langage only? Would apreciate that information as well.

Posted by: sk | May 13, 2005 6:35 PM | Report abuse

I updated two Win XP computers. On one, the little red icon did the job quickly and seamlessly. On the other, it hung and I had to manually download and install. Same thing happened on the last update.

I don't know why. But the machine on which the autoupdate worked has XP Pro and is using Windows Firewall. The other has XPHome and is using Zone Alarm.

Posted by: Jeff | May 16, 2005 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Did an update over Firefox 1.03. Seems OK. Firefox is not exactly a "homeuse" item - tricky to use for the uninquisitive i.e. non computer affectionado. Also is gradually losing it's edge over IE and, after several months of tweaking, still cannot read certain web screen download files. Come up blank. Help is, well, tricky. Two years with EDS helps. IE ain't all bad considering what all and whom all it has to service. A little speed may be worth the price of Bill's support.

Posted by: JMM | May 24, 2005 5:15 PM | Report abuse

HELLO ALL,

JUST CURIOUS, FOR THE LINKS YOU PROVIDE FOR
'CORK' (AKA PATCHES) FOR SWISS CHEEZE (AKA MS WIN XP HOME/PRO)OS. ARE THERE ANY OTHER SITES THAT OFFER SAID WEAK, NON FUNCTIONAL ANYWAY, PATCHES OTHER THAN "NOSEY-NORMAN" MS? EVERYBODY WHO KNOWS MS KNOWS WHAT I AM SAYING. THEY INSTALL (W/O THE VICTIMS KNOWLEDGE OR PERMISSION) WEB TRACKING SOFTWARE THAT WILL, I DO MEAN WILL BLOCK THE USER FROM ACCESSING CERTAIN WEB SITES. EXAMPLES OF ARE... MOZILLA FOUNDATION FOR FIREFOX AND MOZILLA BROWSERS, T-BIRD MAIL CLIENT. OPERA WEB BROWSER, LINUX (ALL SITES CONNECTED WITH OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE). AND ONE SITE THAT I FIND VERY ODD, AND NEVER THOUGHT THE WUSS,@#$$% GATES WOULD EVER SEEK TO BLOCK USERES FROM ARE FIRSTGOV.GOV, DOE-CIAC.ORG (MY FAVORITE FOR CRITICAL UPDATE DOWNLOADS, UNTIL THEY WERE FORCED TO SEND PEOPLE TO MS DIRECTLY FOR "LOADED" PATCHES, BY LOADED I MEAN BUILT-IN TRACKING SOFTWARE FROM MS.) AND FTC.GOV.
ALL SITES LISTED ABOVE, MY #$^# MS BROWSER WOULD NOT CONNECT TO ANY OF THE SITES.I KNOW I HAD THEM SPELLED CORRECTLY, WHEN I TRIED THRU FIREFOX, MOZILLA AND OPERA 8 , ALL WERE IMMEDIATELY LOADED AND VIEWABLE. KINDA ODD EH??
THINGS THAT MS DOES TO MAKE YA GO HMMMMM.....
PLEASE LOOK INTO ALT. SITES TO DOWNLOAD PATCHES AND FIXES FOR VICTIMS OF MS's #@$$ OS SOFTWARE. (UNTILL THE WORLD GETS SICK OF GREEDY GATES AND EVERYONE GETS OPEN SOURCE OS LIKE SELINUX PRODUCED BY THE NSA. (VERY SECURE, AND VERY,VERY STABLE)

THANKS ALL. KEEP UP THE AWSOME WORK, AND NEVER, NEVER LET THE GOV SILENCE YOU.... FIRST AMENDMENT RULES!!!
T.T ~ WALAWALA,WA.