Video Guide To Securing Your Computer

I wanted to call attention to a new resource on washingtonpost.com for people who need a little help getting started in securing their computers. We produced a series of "screencasts" or video guides demonstrating some of the basic steps users need to take to stay safe online, including brief primers on choosing and using firewall and anti-virus software, downloading and installing the latest Microsoft Windows patches, and taking advantage of free anti-spyware tools.

These videos are by no means definitive guides, but I hope they will be of some use to those who find themselves completely intimidated by computer security.

One thing to note: If you're viewing the video page and see white text on a black background but no "Click to start video" button, you need to install the free Macromedia Flash Player. You may also need to restart your PC for the Flash Player to work properly.

By Brian Krebs  |  May 13, 2005; 12:45 PM ET
Categories:  Safety Tips
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Firefox Update Plugs Security Holes
Next: Mac and Linux Firefox Update Links

Comments

this is excellent--thanks!!

Posted by: L | May 16, 2005 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Just finished watching the video guides and thanks to you, Brian, and the Washington Post for making them available. Very informative, easy to follow and "user friendly". Will look forward to seeing more in the future. Again, thank you.

Posted by: Tara | May 16, 2005 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Excellent presentation...look forward to future items

Posted by: Ramster | May 17, 2005 1:42 AM | Report abuse

It appears to be an excellent program and quite useful for people like us who are not fully 'Compu literates'.However due to erratic speed I could not get the prog.
to my satisfaction.I was also not able to locate a printed version of it.Would you pl get a printed version on WashPost Email?
Thanks.

Posted by: civicwatch | May 17, 2005 4:04 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for your excellent review of these products. Great job! It's wonderful having thus type of information all in one place! I'll definitely be sharing this with people who come to me with these types of questions.

Posted by: Zane L. | May 18, 2005 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the presentation.
Very informative.
Look forward to future guides

Posted by: Anthony | May 20, 2005 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Made me feel up to date - had a problem with video time running out before the video was finished?? on all of them.
You are one of the good guys!
Thanks so much.

Posted by: Emilie | May 20, 2005 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Although I did download the Macromedia Flash player, I was still unable to view your presentation (white letters on a black screen. Also, I did allow popups. Help!
I assume you will have my Yahoo website to reply. Thanks. csm

Posted by: McLaughlin | May 23, 2005 1:33 PM | Report abuse

also, - had a problem with video time running out before the video was finished?? on all of them.

Thanks so much for yr. great info in Tech. News, Washington Post always, vv.v informative, timely & clear........

Posted by: irisinlimbo | May 26, 2005 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Last week I couldn't get these to run. Yesterday they ran, but I didn't have time to watch them. Today they don't run again- all I get is the black screen with white text. Is this an issue with your equipment or mine?

Posted by: Terry | May 27, 2005 9:17 AM | Report abuse

I have been using AVAST for a couple of years I have had better luck with it than AVG. Good presentation

Posted by: Cookie | May 31, 2005 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Will you answer the questions from folks who haven't been able to get the videos to run?

Posted by: David | May 31, 2005 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Your column today was so excellent and complete with useful information that I printed out a copy to bring to my computer club's attention.

Thanks! I'll be looking forward to reading more of your work because it educates me.
Thanks again.

Posted by: Irene | June 7, 2005 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Thanks a million!

Posted by: Jonah | June 9, 2005 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Listened to videocasts-don't know if accept questions but I already have installed Adaware,Spybot & McAfee Virus Scan, Personal Firewall Plus & privacy Service- Am I paying for McAfee unnecessarily due to all the free programs available? Also, do these e-mail scans protect people using AOL? AOL has its own spyware & virus scan protection for e-mail. Is that sufficient? Do u still advise d/l some of these other programs?

Posted by: S. | June 23, 2005 10:58 AM | Report abuse

...got the front page, the tabs worked, but the session under each tab would not start or run...what to do? Thanks.

Posted by: billcon | June 27, 2005 10:43 AM | Report abuse

I cannot receive your program,it comes in
intermittently.Maybe there is something
wrong on your end, because I can receive
at other sites.

Tks,

Bill

Posted by: Bill | June 27, 2005 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Great program! Will refer others to site. Just registered to W.P.to keep up with Tech news because I'm attending Kaplan Univ. Online IT Bachelor Program.

Michals

Posted by: Michals | July 1, 2005 3:16 PM | Report abuse

I have XP HOME SP2 and just downloaded and installed 6 security updts.from windows that are named OFFICE XP and one even says SP3.DiD I do right? I can't even uninstall them,because they do not show anywhere [like ADD&REMOVE programs}.Now the System tells me the SERVER "can not" be found for almost everything I do,like signing on to E-BAY or trying to upgrade Norton Security,etc.Please,help,I am not Cmputer savvy and having difficulty figuring out what I did wrong!!!

Posted by: Santiago | July 12, 2005 3:17 PM | Report abuse

For the more adventurous, I would recommend www.dejanews.com, which offers a variety of searchable news groups. I have found excellent help on a variety of issues.

Posted by: Peter Clark | August 5, 2005 10:18 AM | Report abuse

How about a guide for setting up wireless routers safely?

Posted by: Scout | August 5, 2005 10:42 AM | Report abuse

I thought your video instructions were excellent for installing AVG - with one exception. You indicated you were using Outlook as your email program (Outlook Express was not an option to choose), and you installed the parameters for Outlook. Yet when you did your first scan, you brought up Outlook Express, and not Outlook. You certainly know that while similar in name, these are not the same programs - why was NOT Outlook Express listed as an option, yet by choosing Outlook, it also included Outlook Express in its coverage?

Posted by: Dick Rubinstein | August 5, 2005 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Great Column, Mr. Krebs,

Where can I read your answers to some of the very interesting questions?

God bless you and your work.

Posted by: Frederick | August 8, 2005 3:55 PM | Report abuse

After ready this article I remember why I bought my Macintosh computer and enjoy not having to worry about security issues.

Posted by: Richard Stover | August 20, 2005 1:07 AM | Report abuse

Never was able to download Macromedia Flash Player.

GoodBye

Posted by: Ted | August 22, 2005 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Your page loads incorrectly, with the result that the section that belongs at the bottom of the page lands in the upper middle, overlaying the article, rendering reading it extremely difficlut.

Posted by: A. L. B. | September 8, 2005 11:59 AM | Report abuse