Apple's Bushel of Critical Fixes

Apple yesterday released a slew of security fixes for several recent versions of its Mac OS X operating system.

The patches mend flaws in nearly a dozen areas of the operating system, including a Web server programming language called "PHP" and Apple's version of Bluetooth, a communication tool that lets disparate wireless devices exchange information over short distances.

The patches are for Mac OS X 10.4.1, Mac OS X Server 10.4.1, Mac OS X 10.3.9, and Mac OS X Server 10.3.9. Don't know what version of Mac you are running? Check out this handy online primer.

As always, Mac users can download updates automatically using Apple's Software Update feature, or manually by visiting Apple Downloads.

By Brian Krebs  |  June 9, 2005; 10:30 AM ET
Categories:  New Patches
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mac Feedbac
Next: 10 Microsoft Patches Due Next Week

Comments

No matter how slow Apple may be, it is still Apple and will deliver goodies alter all.

Posted by: Firozali A. Mulla | June 10, 2005 6:15 AM | Report abuse

Apple Still using its snobb appeal to lure buyers. Face it Its no better than others its just slick marketing and higher cost to the consumer. They have the same problems as other operating systems they just aren't as visible, yet in the market place to be hacked but it's coming!

Posted by: rbwfla | June 10, 2005 10:55 AM | Report abuse

i have Apple/Mac because i don't care about programming or building a computer & it's always been easy for me to use; back to OS 7. i have things i want to do, like create Music & Movies w/out going thru more steps than i think necessary, as well as i think My G5 is a cool looking machine. so if PC users wanna hate me & my Macs for those reasons go 'head. i don't care. i bought Apple/Mac 'cause it works for me, same as w/ my Chevy Astro Van--i didn't want a Ford Pick-up, a Subaru Car, etc... i got what i liked, wanted & it works for me. if someone wants to use Windows, Linux, MS DOS or just paper, pencil & an abacus, more power to 'em. get & use what works for you. i've never understood what the harangue's about?

Posted by: dkjazz | June 10, 2005 11:49 AM | Report abuse

A while back I connected my newly-revamped Compaq (Win XP Pro /Service pack 2) to my DSL. A week later I noticed that it was acting "funny," so I installed some freeware antivirus software. I discovered that in that one week's time, I had accumulated 966 viruses! Fortunately, the antivirus materials seemed to solve the problem.

Significantly, my four-year-old iMac, which had been connected to DSL for over a year and to the 'Net since its purchase, has no viruses and no antivirus software! Macs just don't have those kinds of problems!

Posted by: Wayne Webb | June 12, 2005 11:07 PM | Report abuse

I have been using an Apple computer from the Macintosh in the late 1980's to the Powerbook G5 today. Almost twenty years later I have yet to lose a minute due to a virus or lose data due to some security flaw in the operating system or applications software.

With stress-free computing, an Apple any day keeps the doctor away.

Posted by: Hari Sundaresh | June 15, 2005 10:03 AM | Report abuse