Security Updates For Apple, Firefox

Mozilla has released a new version of its Firefox Web browser to fix at least a dozen serious flaws in the program. Firefox users can download the update manually from Mozilla's site, or click on the arrow in the upper right corner of the browser window and then follow the instructions.

Alternatively, users can go to the Firefox menu bar and select "Tools," then "Options," and then click on the "Advanced" tab. Then scroll down to the "Software Update" section in the right hand windows, and make sure that the boxes are checked next to "Firefox" and "My Extensions and Themes." Then click the "Check Now" tab and apply any updates it says you need.

Apple also released a slew of updates for Mac OS X 10.4.1 users. This is a huge update, detailed in several pages worth of documented changes that I won't begin to list. If you're interested, you can read about them here.

Affected Mac users can update the operating system using Apple's Software Update feature -- located in System Preferences -- or the standalone installer, available from Apple Downloads.

By Brian Krebs  |  July 13, 2005; 9:30 PM ET
Categories:  New Patches
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Closer Look: Three Critical Patches For Windows
Next: Unpatched, Critical Flaw Found In Windows XP

Comments

Hi Brian,
Greetings from Dublin,Ireland. I am a daily reader of the Washingtonpost.com and enjoy the content of your technology e-mails.
Today I follow the link to your interesting article on Security Fix.
I downloaded the new Firefox 1.05 but didn't install it as I would have to uninstall 1.04 (as it is hot and humid here in Dublin this evening read: I am feeling lazy!).Instead, I did as you mentioned and tried "Tools, Options etc.,) Surprise, surprise, the answer came back "no updates needed"!! NOW is this a bug or is the Washington Post ahead of the news!
Regards John

Posted by: John Vincent | July 14, 2005 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Hi John. I had a similar issue with the last Firefox update. The updater wasn't working properly, so I had to uninstall and reinstall Firefox. This may, however, require you to also re-install any extensions you had. When I reinstalled, I made sure to make a backup of my firefox bookmarks.html file (although I can't recall now if I had to resort to restoring that backup.)

Posted by: Bk | July 14, 2005 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Hot and humid in Dublin?.... Dublin? (this comes to you from steamy, deepest Central Maryland). CMG.

Posted by: Charlie Griffith | July 14, 2005 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Yes! (or is it Yep!to you?)Charlie. I enjoyed your comment,a laugh first thing in the morning makes the day. But the humidity was between 64% and 85% in Ireland last night! Now, maybe you guys in USA will try taking global-warming seriously! By the way,I have just tried updating Firefox again but got the same results. Tip for new installation,when Firefox asks to be your homepage, say no or you will have to re-tab your favourites.
JV

Posted by: John Vincent | July 15, 2005 5:13 AM | Report abuse

Me again.
Tried to update patches a few times today and failed(same results, see below),so I have just uninstalled 1.04 and installed 1.05, it took less two minutes and as you can see, I'm back online!!
NOTE to Charlie, the humidity in Dublin was in the seventies at 13.00 local time (2 hours ago. Is that steamy enough for you?
JV

Posted by: John Vincent | July 15, 2005 10:16 AM | Report abuse

I also tried options/update/check now.
And, it said no updates found!
I am running 1.0.4 now.

Also, would appreciate an explanation
on how to backup profile.

Posted by: gordon | July 18, 2005 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I also tried options/update/check now.
And, it said no updates found!
I am running 1.0.4 now.

Also, would appreciate an explanation
on how to backup profile.

Posted by: gordon | July 18, 2005 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I also tried options/update/check now.
And, it said no updates found!
I am running 1.0.4 now.

Also, would appreciate an explanation
on how to backup profile.

Posted by: gordon | July 18, 2005 1:36 PM | Report abuse