Katrina Phishing Scams Begin

It was bound to happen. On a hunch that we might see phishing scams popping up that take advantage of the terrible destruction that Hurricane Katrina has wrought on the Gulf Coast, I started looking up new Web address registrations for possible scam sites. In just a few minutes, I stumbled upon Katrinahelp.com, which claims to be a donation site for Katrina victims but was almost certainly constructed to steal Paypal usernames and passwords.

The DNS records have very little information on the registrant, which should be the first red flag. The only information in the DNS record is a P.O. box address registered to one "Demon Moon."

What's more, when you click on the "donate" link on the site, you are taken to a Web site designed to look just like Paypal.com. Only problem is that if you visit the site in Firefox, you will see that the Web address in the URL field is still Katrinahelp.com, when it should be Paypal.com.

Maybe this site tries to pull some tricks to manipulate what you see in that window if you visit the page with Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser, but I don't know. I haven't tried it yet. My advice would be to just stay away from this site altogether. I am sure the authorities will have it shuttered soon anyhow.

This same individual also appears responsible for www.katrinadonations.com and www.katrinarelief.com. If you check out the link at the top of this blog post, you can almost certainly find other newly-registered Web site addresses that scammers are poised to use for hurricane-related fraud.

If you plan to make a contribution to a Katrina relief fund, there are plenty of legitimate organizations online who you can feel confident are not scam artists.

I'd like to think that these sites represent an aberration, but if the wave of scams that emerged in the wake of last year's tsunami in Indonesia is any indication, the scumbag phishers are likely only getting started.

UPDATE, 1:49 p.m. ET: It appears there also are a number of eBay auctions selling Katrina-related domain names. In each auction, the seller claims that a portion of the final auction price will be donated to Katrina relief efforts. One such auction, which promises "3 PREMIUM HURRICANE KATRINA DOMAINS"OURTSUNAMI .COMS" claims it will donate half of the proceeds to the American Red Cross. The starting bid is $15,000.

UPDATE, 2:50 p.m. ET: As I just discovered, and as one reader just pointed out, three sites listed above do in fact route payments through Paypal, so the people who put these sites together don't appear to be trying to steal Paypal usernames and passwords. Still, there is absolutely no guarantee that even one dollar of your donation would ever go beyond the pockets of the folks who put up these sites.

By Brian Krebs  |  August 31, 2005; 12:41 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zeroing In on Mytob-Zotob Crime Ring
Next: Beware Free Credit Report Scams

Comments

There should be a special place in hell for folks like these.

Posted by: Rob Douglas - PrivacyToday.com | August 31, 2005 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I have been looking at the source of the main page. It's link directs you to www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr
which is the actual site.
But, still, don't donate. I feel this is a true scam. It's PayPal e-mail leads to a Gmail account. I think they would just spend the money and con people.

Posted by: Dakota C:\>_ | August 31, 2005 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I went to that site Katrina Help. Another red flag would be the fact that the site misspelled hurricane.

Also I got on a page that said the site may be for sale. Why would someone SELL a donation site?

Good Work Brian. Stay vigilant.

Posted by: Mike | August 31, 2005 3:06 PM | Report abuse

I think the site is actually legit -- the columnist here should have done his homework.
The page uses frames. The part where you enter your information is a legit paypal page in its own frame. Check the frame's url.

hubbah

Posted by: Hubbah | August 31, 2005 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Con artists and hackers are pathetic. I'm glad that they have been exposed, and I like to see them exposed as often as possible. To the con artists and hackers of the world: "Get out of your parents' basement, get a job, and make some kind of attempt to justify your worthless existence!"

Posted by: ConHater | August 31, 2005 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Just like the efforts to reduce drunk-driving, when the authorities step up the prosecution, stiffen the penalties and publicize the results, only then will these slacker losers get the message that their actions are very wrong.

Posted by: prosecute | August 31, 2005 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Bottomline is, why bother with this Web site when you can go directly to the Red Cross or Salvation Army or whatever and donate???

Posted by: govtwriter | August 31, 2005 5:22 PM | Report abuse

There is.

Posted by: TheDevil | August 31, 2005 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Presumably when you refer to registrant information in the "DNS record", you actually mean the WHOIS information.

Posted by: Jefferson Ogata | August 31, 2005 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Compare the registrations for:

katrinahelp.com
bosco.us
rentalink.com

The latter two use DNS servers at
firstcoasthosting.com; perhaps
they know who "Demon Moon" is.

Posted by: Rich Kulawiec | August 31, 2005 8:08 PM | Report abuse

I found you at SANS, which had some really good information on this subject.

Posted by: Jim Dermitt | August 31, 2005 11:11 PM | Report abuse

People who do this are pretty much the same as looters. E-looters, if you will.

Posted by: rickl | September 1, 2005 2:06 AM | Report abuse

we run lagitamate site. Many donashuns go to help.

Posted by: demon moon | September 1, 2005 8:26 AM | Report abuse

In almost any national disaster, the creeps emerge from the outhouse woodwork. It may be that they should be turned over to Pat Robertson for final disposition.

Posted by: Valkyrie | September 1, 2005 10:36 AM | Report abuse

If you go to the site, it has removed it's donate/pay pal option, so no one can give money through that site any longer.

I had e-mailed demonmoon several times yesterday. He's a punk ass kid, who replied with childish insults, swearing and idle threats of violence. I replied in kind and said I wouldn't leave him alone until his site was gone. I also e-mailed FEMA and Google about his scam (he had a Google address).

I'm sure it wasn't just me who hassled this jackass. Thanks to Brian for his article. Some people may not agree with this method, but I have no problem with an Internet Posse. People like this are scum and have no place in any part of our society.

The person who equated this to looting was exactly right.

Posted by: M | September 1, 2005 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Hey M- Good on ya for keeping these guys straight, and thanks for the kind words. Unfortunately, it appears there are several other domains, includingn eworleanscharities.com donate-katrina.com christiandonations.org parishdonations.com clergydonations.com katrinafamilies.com katrina-donations.com internetdonations.org

which all point to www.internetdonations.org, which looks like someone simply accepting paypal donations.

Posted by: Brian Krebs | September 1, 2005 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Regardless of these sites legitamacy or not - they seem a little fishy (phishy?). My bottom line is that I'm not sure, so any donation I make will go through somewhere I know is legit. Red Cross for example.

Stay safe out there.

Posted by: JRud | September 1, 2005 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Intereresting that Demon Moon cannot write one, let alone two sentences, without mispelling key words. Don't think English is his native language. When he says "many [donations] go to help, he should have said that ALL donations go to help.

Posted by: DBN | September 1, 2005 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Does this surprise me? NO! But then the gougers, too, at all levels are at work. Glad I don't own a car. Thank God, I don't live in New Orleans or other affected areas near there. What may yet come of all this aftermath is a Federal price control legislation, especially in times of national crisis-and this is a national crisis!

Posted by: John of Denver | September 1, 2005 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I'm trying to locate my daughter in Mississippi. I'm at the end of my rope here and seeing these bastards trying to steal from victims really make my blood boil. If they are caught I'll be the first in line to bash their heads with a keyboard and strangle them with a mouse cord. They should all suffer the same fate as the Russian spammer found dead recently. These m***f**ers do not deserve any pity at all.

Posted by: Lee | September 1, 2005 4:19 PM | Report abuse

I don't get it!
When I go to Katrinahelp.com, all I see is that: katrinahelp.com is for sale.
DETAILS: katrinahelp.com - for sale
katrinahelp.co.uk - available
katrinahelp.info - already registered
katrinahelp.net - already registered
katrinahelp.org already registered
The sites are hosted by: http://www.sedo.co.uk/

Posted by: Lisen | September 1, 2005 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Lisen - Those sites all once pointed to a PayPal donation colleciton page. The owner of those sites - after being contacted by the FBI - decided it was a good idea to take them down. So that's all that's left is the "for sale" sign.

Posted by: Brian Krebs | September 1, 2005 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Ebay needs to do something about the fraud auctions! In the past 24 hours, I have alerted Ebay on 7 "fraud" auctions. Even though those were shut down - I just checked and there are more.
Most recent is titled "Sponsor 2 Hurricane Katrina Volunteers".
Opening statement to auction:
"Organizations like the American Red Cross receive countless monetary donations every time a natural disaster strikes. These organizations require man-power, people to answer phones, rescue/recovery, case workers, in the home office and field offices. You are bidding to sponsor a couple who are volunteering to assist in the relief efforts. Auction will cover our living expenses while we volunteer."

It turns out this Seller is from Gainsville, Florida. I sent an email to this Seller questioning the "living expenses" for volunteer work. Also, I gave him volunteer information for his local area Red Cross "Chapter". Seller was not interested, instead the auction was "revised" to state "living expenses" does not mean "paying our way". It is to offset their personal expenses, as they will use their own resources to plan a local fundraiser.

Something doesn't sound right!
I reported this to Ebay ... but they may or may not shut him down.

Posted by: Donna | September 1, 2005 7:04 PM | Report abuse

I think the punishment for these phishers should be to drop them in the middle of New Orleans and let them fend for themselves

Posted by: Terry | September 1, 2005 7:43 PM | Report abuse

I got my first "help Katrina victims -- donate" spam in my emailbox before Katrina's eye-wall even hit the coast. Looters and e-looters both should be prosecuted beyond the fullest extent of current law. Tougher laws and toughest enforcement prevent victimizing both victims of disasters and those who whose hearts cry out to help them.

Posted by: ibu guru | September 1, 2005 11:03 PM | Report abuse

While a site may indeed process a payment through the real PayPal, it is still possible that the original site may do nefarious things when you pass through it, such as capture your PalPal account ingformation.

Posted by: tlmurray | September 1, 2005 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Go get the B*stards. Support the military and all relief efforts. Stop shooting at people you morons.

Posted by: texasbubba | September 2, 2005 9:42 AM | Report abuse

I think its a crying out shame how people today can be so damn cold hearted towards humanity.It is a huge disgrace how people cash in on others misfortunes.Is there no consciences left in the world?Is there no Christians out here anymore.This is the exact same thing that these non humans did to the victims of hurricane Andrew in Florida.Surely they will meet their maker one day.

Posted by: tina ferguson | September 2, 2005 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Quote "There should be a special place in hell for folks like these."

There is.
dont worry.

Posted by: crey | September 2, 2005 1:46 PM | Report abuse

As of 6:17pm on Sept. 2 I checked eworleanscharities.com donate-katrina.com christiandonations.org parishdonations.com clergydonations.com katrinafamilies.com katrina-donations.com internetdonations.org.

THEY ARE ALL GONE!!!!! WOO HOO!

Good job everyone. Way to be vigilant. And thanks again for Brian Krebs for shining light on a problem that almost everyone was too distracted to notice.

People are always quick to bash the media. But here's a good example of how the media can make a difference for the better.

Posted by: M (again) | September 2, 2005 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, one persons demize is another persons fortune. It's sick but it's a fact of life. I'm a customer of Anonymizer.com and I can't tell you how many times this program has saved me. Just to feel secure surfing again is quite cool. I highly recommend this software to everybody. Nobody is going to record my IP, Name, passcodes again.

Posted by: Paul_Lozon | September 2, 2005 6:49 PM | Report abuse

hell is in the convention center of new orleans, tha's where they should be sent!!!!!!!!!!!!!! to make them feel what all of the folks are suffering.

Posted by: Lou | September 3, 2005 1:46 AM | Report abuse

Hurrican Katrina=
The Black American Holocaust

Posted by: G.G.Power | September 3, 2005 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Where can we report scams? I just got one in my e-mail

Posted by: Maianna Fitzgerald | September 3, 2005 5:22 PM | Report abuse

THIS IS DEMON MOON

Moneyhan, Robert
1537 Glenwood Rd
Yulee, FL 32097-3137
(904) 206-4172

Posted by: JUSTICE | September 5, 2005 12:19 PM | Report abuse

is there a answer as to where we can send our email Phishing Scams ? cant they be traced to bust these scums by someone??

Posted by: Marlene in WA state | September 5, 2005 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Marlene,

Please send me any Katrina-related phishing scams that you receive. Just forward the e-mails. I will make sure they get routed to the appropriate folks who can ensure the sites they link to are obliterated. brian-dot-krebs-at-washingtonpost-dot-com

Thanks

Posted by: Brian Krebs | September 5, 2005 11:28 PM | Report abuse

According to a note posted well down the page on

the sites in question are under... new management. There is now no "donate" link, and the links and contact information seem to be entirely legitimate-- for example, a valid link to redcross.org and an accurate Red Cross phone number.

Posted by: Scott Rose | September 7, 2005 12:27 PM | Report abuse

These Phishers are scum, which is why www.PhishFighting.com was created. It let's you fight back against these phishers by sending them 1000's of fake entries.

Posted by: Robin | September 7, 2005 1:48 PM | Report abuse

The same sites you mention were listed in my paper as well only they would one further to say the sites were tied to a white separatist group(s).

Posted by: mh | September 9, 2005 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I recieved this email today - wrong country, and sus. Check the Links.
----------------->
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 18:19:30 +0800
To: paper_tigerau@yahoo.com
Subject: Unauthorized Account Access Bank of Oklahoma
From: "OnlineBanking" Dear Bank of Oklahoma customer. Please read this message and follow it's instructions.
Unauthorized Account Access
We recently reviewed your account, and we suspect an unauthorized ATM based transaction on your account. Therefore as a preventive measure we have temporary limited your access to sensitive Bank of Oklahoma features. To ensure that your account is not compromised please login to Bank of Oklahoma Internet Banking and Investing by clicking this link , verify your identify and your online accounts will be reactivated by our system. To get started, please click the link below: http//onlinebanking.bankofoklahoma.com/OnlineBanking/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fOnlineBanking%2fDefault.aspx
Important information from Bank of Oklahoma. This e-mail contains information directly related to your account with us, other services to witch you have subscribed, and/or any application you may have submitted. Bank of Oklahoma and its service providers are committed to protecting your privacy and ask you to send sensitive account information through e-mail.
------------------>
Funny, I'm in Melbourne, Australia !.

Posted by: Les Kirschner | September 14, 2005 2:53 AM | Report abuse

I recieved this email today - wrong country, and sus. Check the Links.
----------------->
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 18:19:30 +0800
To: paper_tigerau@yahoo.com
Subject: Unauthorized Account Access Bank of Oklahoma
Unauthorized Account Access
------------------>
Funny, I'm in Melbourne, Australia !.

Posted by: Les Kirschner | September 14, 2005 2:54 AM | Report abuse

Dear,
I know that this proposal might be a surprise to you but it as an
emergency to my condition with my mother here in dakar senegal, Be bless as you
help me and my mother to transfer and invest our money in your country. I am
Miss IJE OMA from the republic of Sudan in Central Africa Dafur, now
seeking for refuge in Dakar Senegal under the(UNHCR)united nation high
commission for refuge with my mother.I got your contact during a desperate search
here in Dakar for a possible transac tion. My (late) father HON DR. FELIX
OMA, who was the former ministre of finance and economy in Sudan before he
was assinated by the rebbles in the captal city of Khartoon 2003. And all
our properties was totally destroyed. However, we managed to escape with
some of my father's documents covering $10.5 Million dollars(Ten Million Five
Hundered Thousand us dollars Only) which is presently deposited safely
in a Bank here in Dakar on my name as the only daughter of the family and the next
of kin, the Bank have approved to transfer the fund deposited on my name but we are
looking for a trust and reaible foreign partner who will assist us to transfer and
inves the fund in his country.i was advice to live with my mother to dakar senegal
because i was the next target as the only daughter of my family. All the vital
documents will be fax to you as our foreign partner who will recive the fund for
the investment. Meanwhile,we are saddled with the problem of securing a trust
worthy foriegn personality to help us transfer the money and invest it
in his country and into his possession pending our arrival to meet with
him. Furthermore, we only want this done this way because your country is
politically stable for any profitable investment and only if you accept
our proposal, you will serve as the beneficiary of the fund on commencement
of this proposed transactions, you will send me and my mother a letter of
inviation ! to enable us to get a visa and fly down to your country once the fund
is been transfer to your country.i hope you will not betray me and my
mother because this money is all our hope since my late father died. I am
giving you the offers as mentioned with every confidence on your acceptance to
assist us, we have decided to invest 40% of the total fund based on
equity participation in your company. Secondly, we shall also take 5% out for
any miscelleneous expens es that may occure during the transfer.
Conclusively, i wish you send me a reply immediately as soon as you recieve this
proposal so that we shall arrange on how this fund will be transfer to your
country. On commencement,this transaction will take nothing less than 8 working
days to be accomplished as the bank managment told me and my mother. All
documents covering the fund are safe and intact with us here in dakar senegal. i
will fax you all the vital documents to enable you to contact the finance
firm for the transfer.my mother is sending her greetings to you
and your family. kindly keep this transfer secert and confidentail.
contact me on this email as soon as you recive this massage.
ijeoma121@inmail24.com for more detals. contact me on email urgent
as soon you recive the massage for more details and keep it secert and confidetail
between you as us. my mother is sending her greetings to you and your family.
Thanks yours daughter,Ije oma & Mother

Posted by: Les, another good one. | October 21, 2005 9:33 AM | Report abuse

www.davestev.net

Posted by: j | October 24, 2005 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Date : Mon, 24 Oct 2005 03:41:04 +0500
From :

To : paper_tigerau@yahoo.com
Subject : CALL FOR CONFIRMATION
"South Australia"
South Australia Lotteries,
23 Rundle Mall, Adelaide,
South Australia.
(South Australia Lottories is an affiliate of Overseas Subscriber Agents).
Arena Complex 14 Donegall Square West, United Kingdom.
From: Susan Console
(Lottery Coordinator)
Sir/adam,
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
We are pleased to inform you of the result of the South Australia Lotteries Winners International programs held on the 7th, October, 2005. Your e-mail address attached to ticket #: 00903228100
with prize # 778009/UK drew €1,000,000.00 which was first in the 2ndclass of the draws.you are to receive €1,000,000.00 (One Million Euros). Because of mix up in cash pay-outs, we ask that you keep
your winning information confidential until your money (€1,000,000.00) has been fully remitted to you by our accredited pay-point bank. This measure must be dhere to avoid loss of your cash prize -
winners of our cash prizes are advised to adhere to these instructions to forestall the abuse of this program by other participants. It's important to note that this draws were conducted formally, and
winners are selected through an internet ballot system from 60,000 individual and companies e-mail addresses - the draws are conducted around the world through our
internet based ballot system. The promotion is sponsored and promoted by South Australia lotteries. We congratulate you once again. We hope you will use part of it in our next draws; the jackpot winning is €85million. Remember, all winning must be claimed not later than 20
days. After this date all unclaimed cash prize will be forfeited and included in the next sweepstake. Please, in order to avoid unnecessary delays and complications remember to quote personal and winning numbers in all correspondence with us.
Congratulations once again from all members of South Australia Lotteries. Thank you for being part of our
promotional program.For immediate release of your cash prize to you, please kindly contact our Paying Bank ( Chartered Finance & Securities Den Haag.)
Send them the following:

To : paper_tigerau@yahoo.com
Subject : CALL FOR CONFIRMATION
"South Australia"
South Australia Lotteries,
23 Rundle Mall, Adelaide,
South Australia.
(South Australia Lottories is an affiliate of Overseas Subscriber Agents).
Arena Complex 14 Donegall Square West, United Kingdom.
From: Susan Console

To : paper_tigerau@yahoo.com
Subject : CALL FOR CONFIRMATION
"South Australia"
South Australia Lotteries,
23 Rundle Mall, Adelaide,
South Australia.
(South Australia Lottories is an affiliate of Overseas Subscriber Agents).
Arena Complex 14 Donegall Square West, United Kingdom.
From: Susan Console
Tel: +31 643 178 404
Congratulations once again.
Yours in service, Susan Console

Posted by: Les Kirschner | October 25, 2005 12:08 AM | Report abuse

From:"Stop-Scammers.com"

To:paper_tigerau@yahoo.com

Subject:Re: Scam Report (Individual Scammer)

Date:Wed, 2 Nov 2005 17:18:09 +0300

Hello, Thank you for your report. But without photos and letters of reported person your report can not be added to our database. Please send photos as saved .jpg and letters as .eml or .txt or .doc files. Don't forget to write the number of your report. Thank you. Best regards, Stop-Scammers.com Censor scam_report@stop-cammers.com
I sent 3 scam mail here and this was their response. They want PHOTO'S!. It's a Dating Service !. Check it out.

Posted by: Les Kirschner | November 2, 2005 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I don't believe that whole this think is true,cause you send the same number 00908228100 778009\uk to every yahoo participant.Answer me sooner, e_mail : daniela_fakti@yahoo.com

Posted by: Daniela | January 27, 2006 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Dearest Sir .,

I will really like to have a good relationship with you, and i have a special reason why i decided to contact you.

I decided to contact you because of the urgency of my situation here and after reading your profile ,I am Miss Linda Camara 24 years old girl from Guinee Conakry,the only daughter of Late Camara a well know bussiness man ,My father was shot dead by inside our house by unknow people.

I am constrained to contact you because of the maltreatment I, am receiving from my step mother. She planned to take away all my late father's treasury and properties from me since the unexpected death of my beloved Father.

Meanwhile I wanted to escape to the Europe but she hide away my international passport and other valuable travelling documents. Luckily she did not discover where I kept my father's File which contains important documents. So I decided to run to the refegee camp where I am presently seeking asylum under the United Nations High Commission for the Refegee here in Banjul. Repulic of The Gambia I wish to contact you personally for a long term business relationship and investment assistance in your Country.

My father of blessed memory deposited the sum of US$5, 500, 000.00 in a Bank with my name as the next of kin. However, I shall forward you with the necessay documents on confirmation of your acceptance to assist me for the transfer and investment of the fund.As you will help me in an invsetment, and i will like to complete my studies, as i was in my ist year in th university, when the crisis started.

It is my intention to compensate you with 5% of the total money for your services and the balance shall be my investment capital. This is the reason why I decided to contact you. Please all communications should be through this email address only for confidential purposes.

As soon as I receive your positive response showing your interest I will put things into action immediately. In the light of the above, I shall appreciate an urgent message indicating your ability and willingness to handle this transaction sincerely. Awaiting your urgent and positive response. Please do keep this only to your self please i begg you not to disclose it till i come over once the fund has been transfered. I will send another picture in my next email.

Yours Sincerely,