Hurricane Katrina's E-Looters

Suspicious Web pages supposedly raising money for Gulf Coast relief efforts keep springing up about as fast as authorities can shut them down. The latest are www.hurricanekatrinapics.com, www.hurricanekatrinarelief.com and www.katrinadamage.com, all of which ask for Paypal donations but do not make any claims that the money collected will benefit any relief organizations.

All three sites are registered to a company in New Orleans called Ideas Inc., which according to a LexisNexis search is owned by a guy named Bruce C. Henry. The latest records yielded by the search indicate its charter was revoked by the Louisiana secretary of state several years ago. I am told the handlers over at the SANS Internet Storm Center are working to get this site and several others like it shuttered. I am happy to report that all of the sites we mentioned in yesterday's post have been closed down.

SANS also is reporting another e-mail scam that tries to trick recipients into clicking a link in the body of the message. The link attempts to install computer code that could give attackers complete control over your computer. The subject line of the e-mail: "Is Government Reaction to Katrina Because of Loss of Life, or Loss of Property?" If you receive this e-mail, just hit the delete button.

By Brian Krebs  |  September 2, 2005; 12:20 PM ET
Categories:  Latest Warnings
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Katrina-Related Scams, Continued
Next: Govt. Blocking Legit Katrina Donation Site?

Comments

I think a good horse-whipping in the public square is in order--absent that, kudos to those with the savvy to root these pukes out and shut them down!!

Posted by: Rob - PT | September 2, 2005 2:14 PM | Report abuse

I find this really sad, that during a national crisis, all these people really care about is making money off a tradgedy instead of helping others in a time of need.

Posted by: Chris | September 2, 2005 2:16 PM | Report abuse

At 71, I am saddened to realize that the "nadir" for human beings' behavior is relative. Each time I think we must surely have hit absolute rock bottom, something happens to show me we can sink lower yet. Good for those who are identifying and closing down these despicable operations. And thank you for keeping us posted.

Posted by: XristiM | September 2, 2005 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I think these jerks should be made to help the victims with no pay allowed!

Posted by: CHRISTINE | September 2, 2005 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I think these jerks should be made to help the victims with no pay allowed!

Posted by: CHRISTINE | September 2, 2005 2:34 PM | Report abuse

These people are so dispicable! They have no shame and no conscience. I am constantly appalled at the way some people treat their fellow men and woman all for the sake of money. This should be made a federal crime and they should be locked away without trace of the key.

Posted by: Alison | September 2, 2005 2:53 PM | Report abuse

As a citizen of the erswhile Third World, i am rather stunned to see that the Frist World is as full of jerks, looters, rapists who do not stop to strike even when there is a national disaster of the worst kind

Posted by: ranjan | September 3, 2005 12:40 AM | Report abuse

I to believe they should be locked away, I wouldn't have them do community service to aide in the relief they might have their eye on further hurting someones child or somehow scamming someones last $$(Unless it was cleaning up the feces in the dome after everyone was gone LOL).I've recvd a paypal phishing email,I was smarter than to click on a link in it & contacted paypal just to find out I was to be one of the next victims.Glad that I was one up on the scammer trash.

Posted by: jenn | September 6, 2005 11:21 AM | Report abuse

I received a scam HTML E-mail that shows a correct link:

but takes you to:

I don't know who to report this to.

Posted by: Wayne | September 6, 2005 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately there are always going to be people like this in the world, but at least they are outnumbered by the others who are genuinely concerned about the victims and working to help them by providing shelter, food, clothing, donations and other necessities.

Posted by: Kate | September 7, 2005 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Wayne,

Thanks for reporting that. The RedCross confirmed that it is in fact a phishing site. I believe the proper authorities have been notified. It won't be long before that site is out of business.

Bk

Posted by: Brian Krebs | September 7, 2005 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I recieved a link from my childs school that this site was good ok for donating to the Redcross.
After seeing a brief clip on the evening news last night I am now wary. Is there anyway you could confirm this site for me?
Thank you.

Posted by: Shannon | September 9, 2005 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Shannon,

See my most recent posts for a list of sites that are allowed to accept donations on behalf of the Red Cross. That Yahoo! site you mention is listed in there as legit.

Posted by: Brian Krebs | September 9, 2005 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Dear Brian, Thank you for the good news I was concerned because the Yahoo! site does not have any kind of Verisign or other security warnings when you enter it.

Posted by: shannon | September 9, 2005 11:23 AM | Report abuse