License to Hack

Not terribly newsy, but thought I'd share with Security Fix readers the very first photo I took on my trip to Ireland last week.

The cab driver who drove my wife and me to the airport had this ID card hanging from his review mirror: a "Hacker's License" issued by Fairfax County, Va. Maybe this is common knowledge, but this was the first I'd heard that cabbies also are known as "hackers."

Of course, a quick check of Wikipedia has all the background on the term's origins.

By Brian Krebs  |  October 12, 2005; 1:57 PM ET
Categories:  From the Bunker
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Microsoft Issues 9 Security Patches
Next: Starting From Patch Scratch

Comments

Brian,

You don't get out enough...

Posted by: H. Carvey | October 13, 2005 6:48 AM | Report abuse

Brian, I'll echo the comment by H. Carvey; you don't. Did you ever look at the license plates on cabs and limos in the area? They all start with "H" for a "Hack plate", thus those who drive them are "Hackers".
But, interesting for those don't know.

Posted by: J. Brady | October 13, 2005 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Hack, hacker, and hack plate, when used to descibe a taxi cab or cab driver, all derive from hackney, a carriage or coach for hire.

Posted by: J Neidhart | October 13, 2005 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Haha, right you are, guys. I'll be the first to admit I spend to much time in front of the screen. Still, I always thought the "H" in the license plate meant "hire" as in "For Hire" like it says on many plates in VA at least.

Posted by: Bk | October 13, 2005 12:22 PM | Report abuse

No, you Dweeb, don't you ever read anything useful? A cab driver is a "hackie", not a "hacker" And, a cab is a "hack". That comes from a word used in the horse-and-buggy days, and was originally coined in the beautiful city of New York. You can't trust them furringers to use English properly the way she is written.

Posted by: Dick Myers | October 13, 2005 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dick Myers | October 13, 2005 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Hey Dick,

You calling Moi a "Dweeb?" Look at the picture in the post already! I'm not making that up. It says "Hacker's License."

Just for that, I'm going to have to delete your duplicate post (the one that doesn't include your linked e-mail address, that is). I'm not entirely certain why so many posts show up twice or even three times in this blog, but my suspicion is that posters get impatient waiting for the thing to take. Sometimes it takes a few seconds to process for some reason. Growing pains I guess :)

Posted by: Bk | October 13, 2005 8:37 PM | Report abuse

New Yorkers have always known this. A cab driver's license is a hack license. This was true way before PCs and the internet.

Posted by: N. Fox | October 14, 2005 6:24 PM | Report abuse

This proves how young you are. My guess is that you're under 40. Do you think of a CD as a data and music storage device or documentary proof of money deposited with a savings institution for a specific term?

Posted by: Herbert | October 18, 2005 7:18 PM | Report abuse