Macromedia Flash Player Patch

Macromedia, maker of the Macromedia Flash online video/audio player, has issued an update that fixes a rather serious security flaw in its software that could allow hackers to take over your PC through your Web browser.

The vulnerability is present in Macromedia Flash versions 7.0.19.0 and earlier (to find out which version of Flash is installed on your PC -- or if indeed it is installed at all -- check out this link.)

If you have already upgraded to Version 8, you don't have to worry about this. I'm blogging about this flaw because many, many sites - particularly news sites (washingtonpost.com included), prompt you to download and install Flash in order to view certain content.

If you have Flash installed, I'd strongly recommend upgrading. You can get the latest, patched, version of Flash at this link.

By Brian Krebs  |  November 7, 2005; 8:00 AM ET
Categories:  New Patches
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Botnet-Spyware Love Affair
Next: Microsoft to Bundle Anti-Spyware App With Windows

Comments

You didn't mention if the Linux version is affected.

Posted by: David | November 7, 2005 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Darned if you do, Damned if you don't.

I love updates like this. I updated to avoid getting into problems and now I can't get flash to work at all in Firefox. Don't computers just make our lives easier??

Posted by: Michael | November 7, 2005 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I had to disable Adblock to get the new version of Flash to work in Firefox. It's okay for me since I have another banner-filtering program, but not ideal.

Posted by: William | November 7, 2005 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I installed the latest version of Adblock and it seems to have fixed the problem with Flash version 8 (careful, this may be a development version): http://aasted.org/adblock/viewtopic.php?t=2264&sid=08de2ff1a1bc82415deb3430cdeb768a

Posted by: William | November 7, 2005 3:32 PM | Report abuse

i just want to know if the Linux version is affected.

Posted by: Richard Truman | July 6, 2006 2:47 AM | Report abuse