Microsoft Patches Windows Image Problem

Microsoft today issued a software update to fix several serious security problems with the way its Windows computers render digital images.

The most serious of the three vulnerabilities addressed by today's patch -- a problem with Windows' graphics rendering engine -- is present in PCs powered by Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 and Windows 2000 operating systems.

Microsoft said an attacker could exploit the flaw -- that is, hack into and take over vulnerable machines -- merely by convincing users to view a specially crafted Web page or e-mail.

While Redmond says it has no indication that attackers are exploiting the flaw yet, that will probably be just a matter of time. If you are running any of the operating systems mentioned above, you will need to download and install the update. You can retrieve it by accessing the Microsoft/Windows Update site (you must use Internet Explorer for this task) or by turning on automatic updates.

By Brian Krebs  |  November 8, 2005; 2:35 PM ET
Categories:  New Patches
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hackers Raid Sony's Playbook
Next: Google Phishing

Comments

Hi: I hope you can help me. I bought a
Dell Inspiron 8100 in 2002. Somehow it bombed out and I cant get on. I only get in LARGE letters to put your Amin pw in. I have done that 10 times, nothing.
Now the kicker. I have called DELL at least 20 times, left msgs, they hung up, etc. My warrenty ran out in March 2005. Has anyone ever written to you about their rotten policy after the warrenty ran out.
Carol from Melbourne, Florida

Posted by: Carol | November 9, 2005 8:25 AM | Report abuse

I have a client that runs Windows 2003 Server on HP hardware and it appears the latest Windows Patch is causing problems with the graphics rendering on these machines. Several machines that were set to automatically update, are now nearly impossible to work with. Dialog boxes are too big to fit on the screen, and the colors and fonts are screwed up. Machines that were set to download but not apply the update are fine (without the update). There's no mention of this problem anywhere on the Microsoft site or the HP site. All the machines affected in this way were HP servers.

Posted by: Dave | November 10, 2005 3:50 PM | Report abuse

How do we contact Mr. Thomas Hesse? It certainly would be nice if we could contact this Sony executive directly.

Posted by: Joe | November 14, 2005 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Dave,

Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone, I have a server that experienced the same problem with the font and colors after installing the latest patch: (kb896424)

Posted by: Alex | November 18, 2005 1:58 PM | Report abuse

As I can see, we are certainly not alone. Same happened with two servers of mine, none of them HP...
So far, I can't find a decent solution, I just uninstalled the sp.

Posted by: Manos | November 25, 2005 3:31 AM | Report abuse

Same problem here. All of my W2K3 ENT SP1 machines refused to allow RDP (TS) connections after applying the patch. This however seems not to affect W2K3 STD SP1's or WXP SP1 clients.

If the patch is removed, everithing works fine.

Dragos / Bucharest / Romania

Posted by: Dragos | December 5, 2005 6:48 PM | Report abuse

I also had this problem and found that it was due to an older beta version of SP1. Doing an "in-place upgrade" with RTM SP1 bits resolved my problem.

Posted by: Eric K | December 19, 2005 7:54 PM | Report abuse

I had the same problem with on of my Win2k3 servers, furtunatelly, I have a lab server in which I test all the updates prior to intalling to my production servers. I identify the ones that would cause a conflict and eliminate them from my updates. This really helps!!!

Posted by: Laura | September 15, 2006 2:34 PM | Report abuse