Apple Fixes Quicktime Security Holes

Apple has released an update to its Quicktime media player that fixes a slew of security problems with the program. The affected products are Apple QuickTime Player version 7.0.3 and prior (for Mac OS X and Windows).

All told, the latest update to Quicktime mends eight security holes in the media player, flaws that could be exploited to either allow attackers to take complete control over an affected system or cause the targeted PC to hang indefinitely. If you need more details on these flaws, check out this post here.

The bulk of the problems have to do with glitches in the way Quicktime parses different types of image files. I'm not going to get into the particulars of those problems; If you have Quicktime installed on your machine, now would be an excellent time to upgrade. To get beyond these problems, make sure you update to QuickTime Player 7.0.4.

As always, Mac users can update using Apple's software update feature or manually through Apple Updates.

By Brian Krebs  |  January 12, 2006; 8:26 AM ET
Categories:  New Patches
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Time to Patch
Next: Conning the Con

Comments

Oh brother. As soon as I update my home computer's version of QuickTime, they release a patch!

Posted by: William | January 12, 2006 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Any indication as to whether this Quicktime parsing flaw is in any embedded devices that utilize Quicktime?

Posted by: Realist | January 12, 2006 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Is there a way to get version 7 of Quicktime without also installing iTunes?

Posted by: Jeremy | January 12, 2006 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Jeremy, there's a standalone QuickTime installer for both OS X and Windows at this link:

Posted by: Erik | January 12, 2006 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I have QT PRO v7.0.3 for WINDOWS already installed. When I hit the link within the program itself to check for updates I get the message: Your version is up to date, or something to that effect. When I visit the QT Download Site there is no option to UPGRADE from 7.0.3 to 7.0.4! It seems the only option is to download the free "standard" QT Player. How can I simply upgrade directly from 7.0.3 Pro to 7.0.4 Pro for Windows, without having to re-purchase the Pro Version? Any instructions would be MOST APPRECIATED!

Posted by: Tim | January 12, 2006 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Awesome, thanks Erik!

Posted by: jeremy | January 12, 2006 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I believe the standalone player mentioned at http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/standalone.html is Quicktime without iTunes. Of course that page at the moment gives you no version beyond saying it's version 7, so I don't know if it includes the patches or not.

Posted by: Alison | January 12, 2006 7:18 PM | Report abuse

From news.com

QuickTime patch hits trouble

A security update to Apple Computer's popular QuickTime media player software is being blamed for causing problems for some Mac OS X and Windows users.

more at

Posted by: SG | January 13, 2006 5:10 AM | Report abuse

Hey, Erik, I agree with Jeremy: you did me a huge favor! Thank you very much because Apple certainly didn't offer that option from the link(s) offered earlier.

Posted by: Grandma Linn | January 13, 2006 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Tim, your Pro license is at Edit/Preferences/Quicktime Preferences.
Write it down or make a text file if you are concerned, but mine updated with no problems. Quicktime didn't even try to steal back file and MIME types like it used to.

Posted by: Mark C | January 14, 2006 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else not able to download the new version? First off, if I use the update feature in my existing QT, it doesn't work. Secondly, when I try to download the file directly, it goes terribly slow for a while and then just hangs and I have to give up.

Posted by: Jenny | January 14, 2006 9:59 PM | Report abuse

I've uninstalled Quicktime several times [through control panel] and it keeps re-installing itself. Quicktime causes outlook express to freeze. I discovered this by control/alt/delete and unchecking the Quicktime box. Outlook express then becomes unfrozen.

Posted by: John Campbell | October 1, 2006 7:13 AM | Report abuse