Microsoft to Re-Issue Windows Security Patch

Microsoft said Thursday that it plans next week to issue an updated version of a security patch it released last week that has caused problems for a number of Windows users who installed it.

On Tuesday, Microsoft will push out a security update to take the place of one it issued that fixes a critical security hole in Windows Explorer that bad guys could use to seize control over vulnerable Windows PCs.

Microsoft said only customers who experienced problems after applying the patch need to update. The patch in question mainly caused problems for users of Hewlett-Packard software and hardware products, as well as for some Windows installations running Nvidia computer graphics drivers prior to version 61.94.

The company published a pretty detailed Windows registry hack to help users fix the problem, but -- as I noted in my earlier post -- fiddling wtih the registry is a dicey affair for inexperienced users that could lead to even more serious problems.

A number of readers who had problems with the patch wrote in to say Microsoft's support folks had provided a download to automate (read: not screw up) the registry hack, but for some reason Microsoft has still not made that available in its updated advisory.

By Brian Krebs  |  April 21, 2006; 7:55 AM ET
Categories:  New Patches
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Little Blue Browser
Next: More Mac OS X Flaws Identified

Comments

Hi
I don't know if this is related to the Windows bugs mentioned, but has anyone else been bothered by the text pop-ups that seem to occur on every page viewed with IE?
I get them when I look at newpapers, The Yahoo Portal and other sites - they look like little yellow boxes and they either display the first few words of whatever sentence I scroll past or, on Yahoo, the first paragraph.
This is very distracting to me. If I knew what to call it, I could find the fix (I think), but it's a pretty new phenomonem - so I'm lost.
Can anyone help?
Thanks.

Posted by: HenryJ49 | April 21, 2006 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Given the dicey nature of MS' patches, I've switched to a limited user account for daily use.

Waiting while other users "test" MS patches is not without some risk, so to improve my defense-in-depth while I wait out the "beta period", I said good-bye to running with administrative rights.

MS could learn a few things from Mozilla. The latest Firefox update went out not too long after the MS patch bundle. No problems here, and I haven't seen any complaints on this blog either.

Posted by: Ken L | April 21, 2006 2:53 PM | Report abuse

HenryJ49,

This is an automatic feature of the TITLE attribute of HTML tags -- the trigger is in third-party displayed content e.g. Yahoo can't stop it. I really don't know how it could be disabled, except by shame ...

What you find "distracting" might be a much larger problem for the broader issue of Accessibility (imagine, for example, an audio browser for the blind). In other words, you might be able to shame a browser vendor into giving you a switch on Accessibility grounds.

Posted by: GTexas | April 21, 2006 5:36 PM | Report abuse

One wonders why Microsoft don't wait until the normal May updates given their reluctance to address serious issues speedily! After all they keep telling us how important it is to get it right rather than issue it a soon as possible.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 23, 2006 4:18 AM | Report abuse

I found that on an older computer running w2kPro that IE would now function or once in a while it came on after several minutes of waiting. I uninstalled Spy Sweeper and it is running OK. Should have read the instructions as to what would run on w2kpro.

Posted by: billf@intergate.com | May 5, 2006 11:34 AM | Report abuse

This blog posting was of great use in learning new information and also in exchanging our views. Thank you.
Mary Anne Martin

Posted by: Mary Anne Martin | May 8, 2006 2:12 PM | Report abuse

You are right on the money with this one. Well said!
Chris Scanlon