Three Patches from Microsoft Next Week

Microsoft said Thursday that Windows users can expect at least three software updates from the company next week.

Two of the updates will address security flaws in Windows, while the third patch will deal with Office. Each patch may address multiple vulnerabilities, but the total number of patches expected next week is far less than the past few months, which saw near record numbers of security updates from Microsoft.

The company also said it expects to issue several non-security "high-priority" updates via Microsoft Update and Windows Update, but it didn't offer any more information on what those updates would address.

Security Fix will have more information on the patches soon after they are released next Tuesday afternoon.

By Brian Krebs  |  September 8, 2006; 8:52 AM ET
Categories:  New Patches
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Scan Those Links Before Visiting
Next: Apple, Microsoft Release Software Patches

Comments

My friends sometimes tell me that I have a nasty, suspicious mind. Maybe that's true, but I would be careful not to download or apply these unspecified "high-priority" updates until I knew what they were. Of course I trust Microsoft -- about as far as I could throw a piano.

Posted by: Rich Gibbs | September 8, 2006 11:06 AM | Report abuse

The non-security fixes with be DRM patches for the holes that FairUse4WM exploits.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2006 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Rich, you are wise not to trust them. Boing Boing has the skinny on those "non-security" patches: http://www.boingboing.net/2006/09/07/msft_quicker_to_patc.html

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2006 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Install only what you feel comfortable with, at least "critical" updates. But, let's not bash Microsoft here for releasing patches regardless of what rating they are or what they patch! I'm tired of the double standard when it comes to Microsoft versus other vendors, or god forbid, your precious open source!

Posted by: TJ | September 8, 2006 7:25 PM | Report abuse

one thing about not worry about using patch, that is to use Linux! :)

Posted by: yok | September 9, 2006 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Yes please study microsofts downloaded fixes the last ones I recieved were with backdoor trojans and tracking trojans how unnessary!

Posted by: dodacrazy | September 10, 2006 12:38 AM | Report abuse

DITTO dodacrazy

Read then decide do I really need some patches? Patches to what? Is other software info available to make best choice for my system?
My experience w/ these updates is more is better, as far as, info.

Posted by: donnauwory | September 10, 2006 9:49 AM | Report abuse

I really wish this site would start putting dates on things.... instead of just saying "oh, on Thursday".... or "oh, next week". *WHICH* Thurday???? *WHICH* week?

All the people that read something 3 weeks from now... get totally wrong info.

Ugh.

Posted by: Everyone | September 17, 2006 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Everyone -- Not sure what your gripe is exactly. The date and time stamp are posted on every blog post. In the regular posts (non-comments version) the date and time stamp is at the top of the blog post. In the comments version of each post, the date and time stamp gets bumped to the bottom. For example, in the case of this post, the date and time stamp is:

By Brian Krebs | September 8, 2006; 8:52 AM ET