Finding the Free Version of AVG 7.5 Anti-Virus

A number of Security Fix readers have written to ask whether AVG would continue to offer a free version of its anti-virus product, as users have been seeing pop-up notices lately saying their software would expire in mid-January and that the software's parent company, Grisoft, was moving everyone to the 7.5 version. In a Security Fix Live chat last week, I said that AVG would continue to make its software available free of charge to current users; they can click on the pop-up warning to access some further options.

avg.jpg
AVG Free Logo

After clicking on the pop-up for more information on one of my PCs at home, I can say that if there's a link to the free version of AVG 7.5 on the resulting product page, then I may be losing my sight. Good luck getting there from the pages that pop up while you're running a lesser version.

It took some some wicked clicking, but I found the free version of AVG 7.5 at this link here. With any luck, that link will remain live for some time. If you're visiting and find the above link is not working, please post a note in the comments section of this post.

An aside: the machine I was running AVG on had the ZoneAlarm Free v. 6.5.73 firewall on it, and no matter what I did AVG could not download updates. I closed out ZoneAlarm and tried again, and the update went through. So far, I have not been able to get ZoneAlarm Free and AVG 7.5 free to play nice with each other. Anyone else experiencing this? I'll keep at it and update this post if I figure what's going on here.

By Brian Krebs  |  December 11, 2006; 8:45 AM ET
Categories:  New Patches , Safety Tips
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Monthly Microsoft Patch Release Won't Include Word Fix
Next: Phishing Scams Soared in October

Comments

i have zone alarm free version 6.5.737.000 installed and downloaded the new free avg 7.5. had no problem with getting them to work side-by-side.

although when i did download the new avg program, it told me that to continue i must download the newer version of roxio cd creator. the strange thing was, that i didn't have roxio installed on my machine. so i ended up having to update this program i didn't have before i could update avg.

Posted by: sonya | December 11, 2006 9:29 AM | Report abuse

I've got AVG 7.5 Free, and the free version of Zone Alarm (newest version that will work in Win 98SE) Running on my 2nd computer, a Presario 7598. They play quite well together, Zone Alarm allowing AVG to download an update at least daily. I had to give permission for Zone Alarm to allow the AVG updater access to the internet the first time it updated, (right after install) and several times since. (when the updates themselves changed the updater program)They seem to work well together. I use this combination, rather than paying for something more robust, because of the built in resource limitations of Windows 98SE. I hope they are protecting my computer as well as they seem to be!

Posted by: dgllai | December 11, 2006 9:33 AM | Report abuse

You can also go to www.download.com for the AVG anti-virus software.

Posted by: kerric Tyler | December 11, 2006 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Don't know why you find it so hard to find the link to the free version. After reading your post, I went to http://www.grisoft.com/ and clicked on the "Products" link. At the very bottom of that page (http://www.grisoft.com/doc/5/lng/us/tpl/tpl01) is a link to the product page for the free version (AVG Anti Virus: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition
http://www.grisoft.com/doc/products-avg-anti-virus-free-edition/lng/us/tpl/tpl01) which includes download info.

I browse using Firefox with NoScript enabled, but even with scripting enabled the pages are still just a couple of clicks from the home page.

Posted by: Angus Scott-Fleming | December 11, 2006 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Brian,
I have the same combination of AVG and Zone Alarm on several of my PCs. Strangely I've found that they work just fine together on one PC but on the next I occsionally have the problem that you descibe and have to shut down Zone Alarm to update AVG. This makes auto updates impossible. I suspect that a third application may be affecting the Zone Alarm/AVG combination. Just my two cents worth.

Posted by: Keith | December 11, 2006 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I have been running AVG Free 7.5.431 and Zone Alarm (free) 6.5.737 without difficulty on a fully updated Win XP system. The link I used to download the AVG Free 7.5 is: http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

Posted by: user | December 11, 2006 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Just Google "Free AVG." It's always the first or second link. Google ranks by link popularity, so that makes it work. This page contributes to it!

The only downside to the new version I've noticed is that it wants to do a big scan of your hard drive daily. The only options in the Free edition is a daily scan or no scheduled scan at all. Presumably the paid version lets you schedule it weekly. On the other hand, if you see the daily scan churning along, you can just right click the AVG icon in the tray and cancel it. It should have a rotating center when it's scanning.

Posted by: kitchin | December 11, 2006 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Hello,

I have experienced the same problems
you document with the latest versions of
both AVG and ZoneAlarm free. What I have
determined, though, is that you really must
do an uninstall/reinstall of AVG when this
happens. I had it happen on 2 machines.
One is running Win XP Home and the other
Win XP Pro.

When I followed the "Upgrade from 7.1
to 7.5" instructions, the install worked
just fine but the Update Manager component
began failing after a day or two. Even
after doing the recommended
shutdown/restart it would not fix itself.

After doing a little digging, it
appears that the "upgrade" doesn't upgrade
all necessary components of AVG. Things
have been fine since the full uninstall
and reinstall.

Posted by: guyslp | December 11, 2006 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I have been receiving the same pop up and clicking the link provided didn't bring up an active page. I also found the message misleading as it indicated that the free version was ending (to send people to the paying version I presume).

So thanks for the link. I was planning to upgrade over the holidays when I had a bit more time.

I also run AVG with Zonealarm and have no problems with the automatic updates.

Posted by: Dave B | December 11, 2006 4:56 PM | Report abuse

When you're at the download page for AVG 7.5, there's a link to a pdf file (http://free3.grisoft.cz/softw/70free/doc/avg_fwf_sgd_en_71_4.pdf) that tells you how to configure firewalls, including Zone Alarm, to play nice with AVG 7.5. This might help.

Posted by: Karen | December 11, 2006 5:06 PM | Report abuse

I've never had a problem finding AVG Free AV, and now the free/trial version of AVG Antispyware (formerly Ewido) at http://free.grisoft.com/ . Both products are available without any hassle from the publisher. I'm always wary of Download.com, because of the many sound-alike products listed (or "sponsored")that often are not what they're cracked up to be.

Posted by: RACooper | December 11, 2006 11:56 PM | Report abuse

This is an anit-virus note on Symantec.
Apparently , their licensing web site is , well, broken. So, if you buy their Corporate product and attempt to obtain a license file, the site does not work.
Also, opening a case ( that is supposed to be reviewed withing 5-7 days) is just as meaningless.
I telephoned John Thompson's office in Ca. ( the CEO of Symantec).
No luck there either.
Has anyone else had this experience?

Posted by: K. K | December 12, 2006 10:44 AM | Report abuse

I realize that there is a lot of free stuff on the internet but isn't it incumbent on at least some of us to buy the commercial product, especially if we've used the free version and find it to be the best and easiest to use and update as is the case with AVG?
I typically send $10 or whatever to people who include a means to do so if I have their free stuff and recommend it.

Posted by: Reggie | December 12, 2006 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Just so you know, the URL you should remember is 'free.grisoft.com' as someone else mentioned here, the downloads are usually within 2 or 3 clicks from here. :)

Hope this helps.

Posted by: Rob Adler | December 12, 2006 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I have very little technical expertise, but found and downloaded AVG 7.5 after, I think, being alerted by this page. a couple of weeks ago. As I recall it took a little searching to get to the free version, as you mentioned.
It is running, as scheduled, on one computer with Zonealarm Firewall(although sometimes seeming to need a manual update procedure and sometimes not) and another with Windows Firewall with, I hope, no problems.
Scheduler (for tests and most updates) is enabled on the zonealarm setup, and seems to be working fine. The Windows setup I scan on command as it is on my laptop, which isn't always on, meaning an automatic scan would interfere with my use of the machine at startup.
No special configuration (lack of expertise, remember) seems to have been required for either setup.

Posted by: djtscoop | December 12, 2006 5:14 PM | Report abuse

I have been using AVG for 3-4 years now and Gisoft has always made the links to the free version pretty obscure on their site. Still, it's worth the hunt if only to get free of all that annoying hucksterism you get yourself in for with either McAfee or Norton.

Posted by: Andrew Jackson | December 12, 2006 9:18 PM | Report abuse

install it for me

Posted by: Anonymous | December 13, 2006 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Please send to computer free version ofAVG 7.5 Anti-Virus, and help me clean current and future virus on/in my compuer.

Anticipated thanks

Posted by: Dr Pinchinat | December 13, 2006 8:28 PM | Report abuse

You may need to add the hosts for updating the AV to ZA's Firewall network settings. Although the PDF file given by Karen will help you, this is not what I am referring to. Inside the "Firewall" selection of the left it will allow you add trusted hosts. You are best adding it by snooping with WireShark (Ethereal) to see what the server names you are going to. Here is where you can get WireShark /Ethereal:

I am sorry but I will have to come back and give more detailed information on adding TRUSTED AV servers to the firewall. There are some times that things are so busy at boot-up that the AV firewall will even block valid hosts because it is the computer is so busy the firewall can't get enough slices of time to make sure things are okay and when that happens it's default is to block (to prevent somebody from gagging the machine and doing something bad).

HHH

Posted by: Henry Hertz Hobbit | December 14, 2006 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Brian,
I had a computer whose hard drive crashed, and I can almost with certainty point to the two additions that happened: Windows auto updates and AOL Safety and Security Center virus protection. This McAfee Active Shield window kept coming up, saying to scan; so I scanned and nothing turned on AOL Safety and Security Center. After months of this, I then at AOL's advice went to McAfee to disengage a McAfee component, and it crashed, a total loss. The same thing is happening again with this new hard drive. What advice do you have?

Posted by: Edward, IL | December 15, 2006 7:34 PM | Report abuse

AVG Free 7.5 wouldn't run on my Win98SE machine, either as an upgrade or a clean install. Finally broke down and installed XP (Office Depot had a three day rebate sale for $70 off XP Home upgrade packages). V7.5 runs fine now. Another instance of newer software that won't run on 98SE? Is Microsoft up to one of their old tricks, coercing software firms into dropping 98SE supporting versions? I have a pricey writing package that the 7.1.0 version runs on 98SE, the 7.1.1 VERY minor upgrade wouldn't run on 98SE, but runs ok on XP.

Posted by: Hal Smith | December 19, 2006 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Finding the free version of AVG is as easy as typing "AVG FREE" into google. I also checked my PC still running 7.1 and was easily able to find the option for 7.5 free download (yes I said free, not trial version). I am not sure what PC skill level the average person operates on but it was not as difficult to find the free version as this article portrays...

Posted by: AVG Free User | December 20, 2006 5:49 PM | Report abuse

why not just get an even BETTER free anti-virus program?

Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic

Posted by: neindoch | December 21, 2006 11:45 PM | Report abuse

oops, sorry

here's the link:
www.free-av.com/antivirclassic/index.html

Posted by: neindoch | December 21, 2006 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Hello I am still using Win.98SE. I have been using AVG 7.1 for a few years.When the new verison came out I deleted the old 7.1 AVG and did a clean install on the 7.5. All went fine on my computer also on my wifes computer. The only prob. I have after I boot up my PC & my other computer. I see it doing a full scan every day. The box does not turn but it still does a full scan. I just right click on the box & stp the scan.My concern is that the box does not turn plus it has a pointer in the middel of the box is this OK?

Thanks,
Whitelion

Posted by: Whitelion6 | December 23, 2006 5:01 PM | Report abuse

no comments

Posted by: elie | December 24, 2006 4:57 AM | Report abuse

good

Posted by: tuan | December 25, 2006 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mike | December 29, 2006 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Why use AVG when you can use avast from ALWIL. It is also free and it plays nice with ZoneAlarm free version. You can find it here http://www.avast.com look for the home version as it is free and they have a whole slew of others if that is what you need.

Posted by: Mike | December 29, 2006 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gongpob | January 2, 2007 1:08 AM | Report abuse

send full version

Posted by: dracula | January 2, 2007 2:14 AM | Report abuse

Load this page http://www.grisoft.com/promo/download-avg-75-free-free75cnv/

Scroll down to "Other solutions" then follow the link for # To download new AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 7.5, please click here.

Follow the prompts and it will install a new version, or update your existing version, without a problem.

Posted by: bunny | January 4, 2007 8:50 AM | Report abuse