New Firefox Version Fixes Flaw

If you use Mozilla's Firefox Web browser to surf the Internet, you probably have received a notice that a new version of the browser has been installed. The update brings Firefox to version 2.0.0.3 or version 1.5.0.11, and fixes a single security flaw.

If you haven't received the update alert, you may be using an unsupported and insecure version of Firefox. To determine which version you're running, go to "Help," and "About Mozilla Firefox." If you have an outdated version, take a moment to download the latest version.

By Brian Krebs  |  March 21, 2007; 11:23 AM ET
Categories:  New Patches
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Stolen Identities Sold Cheap on the Black Market
Next: Hot Air Swirls Around ID Theft Measure

Comments

If I upgrade, will the new version wipe out my bookmarks? Sorry if this is a very basic question. It is hard to imagine thye would create it this way.

But I want to be sure all my carefully compiled bookmarks that I have now will still be there when I upgrade.

Posted by: Kit | March 21, 2007 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I upgraded and all my bookmarks stayed as is.

Posted by: Frank | March 21, 2007 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Use the FoxMarks add-on to sync your bookmarks.

Posted by: Seattle | March 21, 2007 5:10 PM | Report abuse

every upgrade even from 1.5 to 2 kept all pswd and bkmrks for me.

i think you can back up bookmarks also.

me liky liky :)

Posted by: Kat | March 21, 2007 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Even if you uninstall Firefox, your bookmarks will remain on your computer, see the release notes for the new version:

You can save your bookmarks (a good idea if you spent a lot of time getting them right) with Bookmarks | Organize (or Manage) Bookmarks, then File | Export. This saves them as a file you can then email to yourself or otherwise back them up.

Firefox won't let you update it if you are running under a limited account in Windows, as bk advocates. So I guess you either have to run FF as an admin or switch user to the admin.

Posted by: michael | March 22, 2007 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I ran Firefox as an administrator (right-click on Firefox, select "Run as..." then fill in name and password for an admin account), and it updated moderately well. (But it was a strange experience-- my bookmarks weren't there b/c it was the other account.) Then when I closed Firefox and ran it as my normal account, it had an error message about a partial update and wanted to try downloading a full update, with no clear way to cancel that. This may have to do with extensions/add-ons.

I moved that window and selected "skip updates" for themes and add-ons that it could check for updates on, then it closed the updates window and opened FF fine with the correct version (2.0.0.3).

How do others experience updating when running as limited Windows user?

Posted by: michael | March 22, 2007 11:50 AM | Report abuse

I've done several Firefox updates in the past and have never had a problem, but this one won't take for my main account, which is as a limited user. I don't know what to do.

Posted by: A | March 22, 2007 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Note that this update fixes a very small bug that requires the user to connect to an untrusted FTP server that has been specifically coded to return nasty PASV reference addresses. It should definitely have been fixed, but it's not something anyone should fall all over themselves in order to upgrade.

It had been listed as a low-security issue: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/known-vulnerabilities.html#firefox2.0.0.3

Posted by: Chris | March 22, 2007 4:30 PM | Report abuse

A-

You need to either 1) log off your "main account" and log in on an account that has administrative rights, or 2) use the "run as..." feature of windows to run Firefox as an administrator within your current account. To do that, you right click on a Firefox shortcut (in Start-> all programs) and select "run as..." Then you select "the following user," and write in the administrator account name and password, then press OK.

I think as a rule #1 is easier in the long run, as it's clearer: Log in to the administrator account and run Firefox. Who knows what other programs need updating, but many won't update under limited accounts.

I hope they get limited accounts more robust in Vista. BK, since your screenshot looks Vista-ish, how are those limited accounts in Vista?

Posted by: michael | March 22, 2007 5:35 PM | Report abuse

I did install it in my admin account, and it worked fine. But when I want to use my limited user account it still goes through a vicious cycle of telling me it didn't work and that I need to relaunch. So that's not going to help, but thanks for trying.

I just found a link to this set of instructions as a suggestion to others who are having my problem: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Updates_reported_when_running_newest_version

Deleting files seems a bit scary, so I'm not sure I want to do it, but I have backed up my profile, so I guess I have nothing to lose.

Posted by: A | March 22, 2007 5:49 PM | Report abuse

A-

Glad you found some more info from Mozilla. They seem to be quite good at separating personal info from their program, putting these in completely different places. The add-ons are closer to your personal info, but they too are separate. So if you have backed up your profile, then even if something went wrong you should be ok. I recently restored a backed up profile and was amazed-- all my passwords were still there, bookmarks, extensions, everything!

Posted by: michael | March 23, 2007 9:54 AM | Report abuse

My GetMail addon Icon stopped functioning when 2.0.0.3 was installed.

Uninstalled GetMail --- but now cannot find GetMail in Addons...

TBird works ok --- just have to access via desktop...

Any help in restoring GetMail Icon (or other means of direct TBird access from Firefox appreciated :)

Posted by: al scott | March 26, 2007 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I deleted the update files and folder per the instructions. It seems to have worked. But now I'm wondering if Firefox will be able to alert me when the next update comes out. Fortunately I check this site regularly.

Posted by: A | March 27, 2007 6:31 AM | Report abuse