Apple, Mozilla Issue Security Updates

Apple and Mozilla each issued free updates to plug security holes in their products this week. Apple's patch fixes two vulnerabilities in its QuickTime media player for both Mac and Windows. Mozilla pushed out a series of updates to fix five security flaws in its Firefox Web browser and other software.

Mac users should be able to obtain the updates using Apple's Software Update feature. Windows users will need to fetch the fixes either through the Software Update application bundled with recent versions of QuickTime (and iTunes), or by grabbing the most recent QuickTime installer from Apple's site.

Firefox users should be prompted to install the updates by the browser itself upon launching the program. If you're a Firefox user and you don't see this prompt, it may be that you are running an older version of the browser. Firefox 2.0 includes the ability to auto-install updates, and if you are using a Firefox version that begins with 1.5, you should consider upgrading to Firefox 2.x, as it offers a more seamless upgrade mechanism. Plus, Mozilla is expected to soon phase out support for the older version of the browser.

By Brian Krebs  |  May 31, 2007; 9:38 AM ET
Categories:  New Patches
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A New Vector For Hackers -- Firefox Add-Ons
Next: Report Shows 7 Percent of Sponsored Links Dangerous

Comments

I downloaded Firefox 2.0 when it was first issued and it would not work for me, so I removed it and re-installed the 1.5 series. How can I find out if I'll have the same problem now?

Posted by: Holly | May 31, 2007 11:10 AM | Report abuse

I'd love to upgrade to Firefox 2.0, but school software (WebCT) that is required will not work properly with it, so have to stay at the 1.5 series. Any hints about what to do once Mozilla stops upgrades?

Posted by: Kate | May 31, 2007 12:00 PM | Report abuse

@Kate:
According to WebCT's browser compatability page:

the newer WebCT versions do support Firefox 2, and
no version of WebCT lists Firefox 2 as unsupported
so:

1) It may be worth testing Firefox 2 against the
version your school is using.

2) It is probably reasonable to ask your school
to upgrade their WebCT server when Firefox 1.5
becomes obsolete.

Posted by: Mark | May 31, 2007 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I have said it before and I will say it agian....It doesn't matter how many security flaws Mozilla patch's; it is still at least 80.5% safer than IE.....As I recall Internet Explorer Is the one that is countinuesly Being Attacked' not FireFox....FireFox Is Just A Playground that everybody knows how to exploit, but choses not to cause IE is the only one that clams to Be 100% secure, Fast, & Reliable

My Website (myspace.com): myspace.com/crack_that_firewall
My Website (myyearbook.com): myyearbook.com/threatsecure
My E-mail: Csparrowgrove {at} Gmail {dot} Com

Posted by: Winxptk | May 31, 2007 1:18 PM | Report abuse

For Windows users of QuickTime, there is a security update download available at:
that is considerably smaller than the entire QuickTime installer (1.1 MB vs. 19 MB). I've used it on Win XP/SP2 with QuickTime 7.1.6, and it appears to work fine (although I don't have any real incisive test available).

Firefox updates require that you have write access to the installation location. If you are following Brian's excellent advice to run as a non-privileged (not administrator) user, the update may not work. In that case, log on as administrator, run Firefox to get the update (menu Help / Check for Updates), and then log off and go back to a normal user context to do your ordinary work.

Posted by: Rich Gibbs | May 31, 2007 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Users who have trouble with FireFox for certain trusted but difficult or incompatible sites (e.g. an educational site which is likely to be a year or two behind the curve) should consider the FireFox add-on "IE Tab" which allows you to designate such pages to always open - within FireFox - on a fully functional IE page. It actually runs IE7 within the FireFox browser - even to the point of handling ActiveX for Windows Updates, etc. I access half a dozen sites with IT Tab, including Microsoft sites, that have never quite worked with FireFox without a glitch.

Posted by: Albin Forone | May 31, 2007 2:46 PM | Report abuse

After installing the security updates for Firefox, I got a message saying that it was incompatible with the latest Java platform, which I had downloaded and installed several days before. The message stated that Firefox would notify me when a compatible version of Java was available. The few sites I visit that use Java do not seem to be affected by this announced incompatibilty. Any cause for concern?

Posted by: Ollie | June 1, 2007 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Installed firefox 2 and couldn't use mouse to bring up menu which says open in new page, save link as, coudn't save photo using mouse, only drop and drag. Tried both one- and two-button mouse, made no difference. Only ways to save photos or graphics from Web site was drag and drop and for some photos, where photo on page is a thumbnail but can be loaded using link impossible to use. Went back to 1.5 and I have no problems. Why can't I this stuff on Firefox 2.x?

Posted by: Larry Marshall | June 1, 2007 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Larry, your Firefox installation is corrupted. I had the same problem, but uninstalled (after saving my profile) and reinstalled it, and now can right-click and save .jpeg files. An alternative work-around is to install the "DownThemAll" extension, which would allow my corrupted Firefox to save images.

Posted by: Bill Wimbish | June 3, 2007 11:52 PM | Report abuse