Microsoft to Issue Seven Security Updates

Microsoft Corp. today announced that it plans to release seven software updates next week to plug multiple security holes in its Windows operating system and other software.

The company said two of the patch bundles will fix problems in Windows while three others will address vulnerabilities in Microsoft Office, the suite of productivity software that includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access.

Another update will correct flaws in Microsoft Exchange, the company's e-mail server software. All of the patches will fix at least one weakness that Microsoft considers "critical," meaning the flaw can be fairly easily exploited by criminals with little or no help from the user.

Microsoft typically doesn't discuss the details of its patches until they are released on Patch Tuesday (the second Tuesday of each month). But the company has indicated that one of the updates will fix a vulnerability in Windows 2000 Server and Windows Server 2003 systems running the DNS Server Service, which crooks have been exploiting to break into systems for nearly a month now.

By Brian Krebs  |  May 3, 2007; 3:15 PM ET
Categories:  New Patches
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Scammers Randomly Target Checking Accounts
Next: Federal Data Breach Bills Clear Senate Panel

Comments

I am security analyst at my job. Whenever I deploy office patches, I always get employees emailing me complaining of issues (related to the patches). Considering that office patches are important and this time around as vital, WHAT AM I GOING TO DO LOL....The problem the vender I use for mass patching issues user patches and not admin patches(something they adimittly deny)

Posted by: D3Rk@ | May 3, 2007 8:36 PM | Report abuse

"Always" get employees complaining?
Strange, we deploy between 30 and 60 thousand patches monthly and hear maybe 5 issues, most unsubstantiated.
Don't mean to beat an old drum but the problem may be between the desk and the chair...

Posted by: HB-R | May 4, 2007 11:24 AM | Report abuse

"Hot fix" labeled Q815411 are created by microsoft when users run into specific problems under more specific circumstances.
fix in the Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Windows Server 2003 heap algorithm was released to handle a particular sequence of heap requests by a private, internally developed program
Windows XP SP1 and Windows Server 2003 contain a general purpose memory or heap algorithm that delivers fast performance for memory requests made from a broad spectrum of Windows programs.
Sequence alograthm is not found in typical windows programe.So in case of general purpose alograthm,The sequence
of requests are steadily maintained.So
the alograthm may not function to satisfaction.So changing the Heap alograthm cannot form a solution.
hotfix provides a workaround in the heap algorithm to better handle a particular atypical and uncommon sequence of heap requests.
The second patch, labeled Q811493, was a revised security fix affecting Windows XP, 2000, and NT. Microsoft had to withdraw the original security fix because it introduced performance lags for some SP1 users.
The patch solves hacking and security issues by preventing hackers from exploiting the vulnarability of the kernal of the windows application during the process of error delivery.

Posted by: Meenakshi | May 4, 2007 2:43 PM | Report abuse

After installing the most recent set of security patches that MS sent out on 4/10, I've been getting a Socket Error 10061 Error # 0x800CCC0E message in Outlook Express 6 after logging off another user account/identity. The only work around was to reboot until I got tired of doing that and tried to uninstall the patches. That didn't work, so I had to opt in doing a System Restore. This same problem has been reported on the MS forum under Outlook Express 6. MS MVP's are saying it's NIS. I beg to strongly argue that point seeing that I have never had compatibility issues with NIS and Outlook Express. I'm running NIS 2005 and after the System Restore, I've had no more reoccuring problems. However, now my system is vunerable to threats that the patches were put there to protect.

Have you heard of any recent problems with the new set of patches?

Posted by: C Smith | May 5, 2007 7:17 PM | Report abuse

The more I see of Mirco Soft Outlook Express,the more I dislike and distrust
it,and its why I will not use it on my two
computers. The best thing MS could do for
users is to get rid of Outlook for good!

Posted by: Claudine | May 18, 2007 5:41 PM | Report abuse