There's a Black Tuesday on the Rise

Microsoft Windows users can expect to install a flood of software updates from Redmond next week, when the company plans to push out at least nine patch bundles to remedy security holes in its products.

Each patch bundle often fixes multiple security flaws. For example, in May, Microsoft plugged some 19 different vulnerabilities in just seven patch bundles.

According to Microsoft, most of the updates will address software holes labeled "critical," or so serious that they could give attackers a way to crack open systems with little or no help from users.

Among the Microsoft products to be patched are: just about every version of Windows (including a standalone update for Windows Vista), Internet Explorer, Visual Basic, Microsoft Office, and Office for Mac.

As always, Security Fix will bring you more information about these updates shortly after they are made available on Tuesday afternoon.

By Brian Krebs  |  August 9, 2007; 4:14 PM ET
Categories:  New Patches
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Attacks Prompt Update for 'Tor' Anonymity Network
Next: Security Fix Pop Quiz, Summer 2007 Edition

Comments

Will these updates apply to all Windows products or a specific version such as Vista or XP?

Posted by: Sebastian Rothwyn | August 9, 2007 7:33 PM | Report abuse

My copy of XP Pro and Office Pro came from a former employer. At the time they were obtained THEY WERE LEGAL COPIES.

Enter Microsoft's WINDOWS VERIFICATION SOFTWARE

++++ ALLEGEDLY +++++++ targeting BOOTLEG copies of Microsoft Products, as those being hustled by overseas vendors charging little for downloads.

GUESS WHAT, most corporations that buy corporate packages CANNOT POSSIBLY FORSEE completely accurately how many copies of their 'purchase' may ULTIMATELY get installedn and then some have also now gone out of business.

WHAT THAT MEANS IS SOFTWARE REPS WHO SOLD MICROSOFT PRODUCTS TO CORPORATIONS AND TO ESPECIALLY SMALL BUSINESSES WITH A 'WINK AND A NOD' WHEN IT CAME TO 'EXACT NUMBERS' HAVE NOW ENSNARRED THE LEGITIMATE USERS OF THOSE PRODUCTS.

ONCE BEFORE A PRIVATE PATCH WAS NECESSARY TO ADDRESS A SECURITY MATTER MICROSOFT COULDN'T GET OUT IN TIME.
------------------------

MAYBE ITS, ONCE AGAIN, TIME FOR PRIVATE UPDATES FOR SECURITY ISSUES, BUT NO ONE IS DOING THEM AND UNTIL MICROSOFT RELENTS ON WHAT MUSWT BE +++++ MILLIONS +++++ OF CORPORATE VERSIONS THAT ARE NOW BEING BLOCKED, PERHAPS AN OFF-SHORE ENTITY MIGHT CONSIDER ADDRESSING THIS ISSUE, SINCE MICROSOFT ISN'T.

Posted by: brucerealtor@gmail.com | August 9, 2007 9:49 PM | Report abuse

BK - is MS going to issue patches for the bum patches they issued in July? A bunch of people (including me) could not install some of the .net patches. Although I've looked online, I haven't seen any official fix from MS for these non-working patches yet. Maybe they would respond to you.
Thanks.

Posted by: sc | August 10, 2007 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Bruce, you cheapskate, just go buy a copy of Microsoft's OS. And for goodness sake, turn off the CAPS LOCK key!

Posted by: Pete from Arlington | August 10, 2007 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Cost of doing business, Bruce. If you want the discount that a Mom-and-Pop operation are offering, then you accept the risk of that small operation failing. If you want the security of knowing that you have a legitimate and supported product, then buy from authorized reseller.

BTW, if you really are working on a network, go with Volume Licensing. Although you buy your licenses from reseller, the licenses are registered with and sent to you from Microsoft.

Posted by: Ivan Groznii | August 10, 2007 10:10 AM | Report abuse

If Micro Soft and Greedy Bill Gates were not so damn greedy then they would sell
decent products to begin with to us,instead
of these current tire patched inner tubes
and pieces of total junk that Gates makes
his billions off of on us consumers.

Posted by: Claudine | August 10, 2007 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: A.Fair | August 11, 2007 12:16 AM | Report abuse

ATT Worldnet is my isp and, prior to being forced to run Vista, I ran W98 and Outlook Express with absolutely no problem. Now that I have Vista I can not send or receive email using Windows Mail. About two months ago, I found a bulletin reporting that ATT was not yet "fully supporting Windows Vista". Since then I have heard nothing. Have you heard this from any other users and what is the latest?

Posted by: Payne | August 11, 2007 5:33 PM | Report abuse

blah blah blah
Get a Mac!

No OS Licensing
No forced upgrades from dopey ISPs

System is secure, no need for spyware or antivirus subscriptions, no messages popping up blocking thi and that. You actually concentrate on your work instead of the health and status of your machine.

Posted by: CommonSense | August 13, 2007 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Cheese.

(to go with your whine)

Posted by: Dave | August 13, 2007 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Well, protection only goes so far. On Friday I had snail mail notification from a company (FIS) that handles "issuance" for credit cards, and it seems an employee has been fired for giving out unauthorized information. So far as the company knows, no one has been harmed except for the fact that marketers will assail me with junk mail offers. If honest people are not hired, then...I cancelled my card and requested a new number even though I was told I was "pretty" safe. Rottem apples in all walks of life, I know. The company owned up to the theft, however, and that is taking responsibility--more so than some.

Posted by: Sue | August 13, 2007 12:03 PM | Report abuse

RE: BRUCE
All caps, that's a REALITOR thing - intrusive, poor etiquette - not his fault, someone else to blame

Posted by: Chinasmith | August 13, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

haha And beware if one of those PATCHES is a WGA patch for XP and then a lot of XP computers will begin to be shut down ! !

Thats ok I do not mind and the makers of the different Versions of Linux will not Mind nor will Mac ! . .

I have sent out e-mails to lots of people to either switch or be caught in the WGA problem when it starts hitting XP

Posted by: Jackie | August 13, 2007 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Don't go online tonight
It's bound to wipe your drive
There's a black Tuesday on the rise

Posted by: Rick | August 16, 2007 5:24 PM | Report abuse