Firefox Update Plugs 8 Security Holes

Mozilla has shipped an update to its Firefox Web browser that corrects at least eight separate security flaws, including two that Mozilla flagged as especially serious. Firefox users should have already received an update that brings the browser to version 2.0.0.8.

The update went flawlessly for me on all four of my personal machines, but I'd be interested to hear from readers if they experience glitches with this latest version. Mozilla says it is aware that this update may cause minor problems for some Mac users.

As always, the Mozillazine Forum has some useful tips and frequently asked questions that may help Firefox users diagnose any glitches with updates or other browser weirdness.

By Brian Krebs  |  October 25, 2007; 9:38 AM ET
Categories:  Latest Warnings , New Patches , Safety Tips
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: TJX Breach Was Twice as Bad as First Reported
Next: Equifax Details Credit Freeze Plans

Comments

I had issues using Firefox's autoupdate on my Intel Mac. It kept downloading and failing to install over and over. I ended up downloading the new version and manually installing.

Posted by: WilliamHaun.com | October 25, 2007 10:14 AM | Report abuse

one machine went perfectly; the second seems to have created a minor snafu with my network - although it's not clear that the problem was caused by Firefox. But it does seem a reasonable conclusion: shortly after installing the update, the internet slowed down to the point that dial up looked fast. Pages took minutes to load. I resolved the issue by shutting down the entire system and rebooting every component . . .

Posted by: star a. decise | October 25, 2007 11:11 AM | Report abuse

The update didn't cause the Mac problems. We mentioned problems we discovered running on the soon-to-be-released Leopard (10.5) and have not yet fixed.

Users of current Mac OS's won't see these issues.

Posted by: Dan Veditz | October 25, 2007 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Since I have automated the Update Control for both Firefox & Thunderbird + the add-on's on my AMD/XPprof sp2-machine, everything works smoothly everytime after an update.
So, no worries here (Amsterdam, the Netherlands !).

Posted by: Kalle | October 25, 2007 1:02 PM | Report abuse

No problems on two machines with XP. I remembered to switch to the admin account before updating.

Posted by: A | October 25, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

No issues here on two PCs with XP-SP2.

Posted by: J | October 25, 2007 2:14 PM | Report abuse

FYI...

- http://developer.mozilla.org/devnews/index.php/2007/10/22/firefox-2008-update-to-be-updated/
October 22nd, 2007 at 9:47 pm - "...The 2.0.0.8 release fixed some 200 issues, but accidentally regressed a few things. Most users won't see any difference or experience any problems, and those 200 fixes make the 2.0.0.8 update very valuable, but you should never have to choose functionality over security. So we're working fast to understand and fix these problems, and will shortly be issuing a 2.0.0.9 update to address them..."

Posted by: J. Warren | October 25, 2007 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Some PowerPC Macs at our office developed spinning-beachball syndrome after the update when loading Web pages with specific banner ads.

Adblock Plus add-on took care of the problem.

Posted by: Adam | October 25, 2007 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I didn't have a problem updating on my vista pc, but I hit a huge snag on my girlfriends vista pc. Firefox (2.0.0.7) for some reason is a permanently running process even when the app isn't running and the computer has been restarted. Windows Task Manager can't end the process for some reason.

So I can't reinstall, uninstall or update firefox. I'm thinking about downloading Hijack This but I've never tried using it before. Any thoughts? thanks.

Posted by: ugh | October 25, 2007 4:38 PM | Report abuse

No problems on two laptops and a desktop without admin rights running either.

Posted by: Major Pain | October 25, 2007 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Firefox automatically updated to 2.0.0.8 on my Vista HP laptop. I use Trillian to manage contacts and email for multiple Yahoo accounts as well as MSN and AOL. After the update Firefox would not automatically redirect to my Yahoo Mail accounts, but still redirected correctly to my MSN and AOL mail accounts. So I uninstalled the update and went back to 2.0.0.7, where everything works. I'm all for security updates, but this is the first time I've had any conflicts with Firefox and Trillian not playing well together as they are supposed to.

Posted by: Trillian User | October 26, 2007 10:14 AM | Report abuse

one minor curiosity on xp based laptop; BBC's radio player no longer works and forces firefox to close.

Posted by: eric | October 26, 2007 10:29 AM | Report abuse

I had problems accessing some features of an on-line account after the Firefox fix downloaded. |I had to reinstall Java and then reinstall Firefox. It's Ok now.

Posted by: GmCN | October 26, 2007 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I just checked to see which version of Firefox I had and it is 2.0.0.8. I'm concerned as many times it keeps telling me there was an error and I have to close Firefox or reboot the system. That is most annoying. I have had it happen to me three times today. I wish someone would come up with an answer for me. Other than the above, it works OK.

Posted by: Jack | October 27, 2007 12:08 AM | Report abuse

After updating to Firefox 2.0.0.8, I was hit once again by the same difficulty in logging in to my Gmail account in Windows XP that I encountered after updating to 2.0.0.7 ; the web address flickered on and off and on the status bar and the notice «waiting for Gmail» alternated with «Stopping Gmail». Contrary to my previous experience, this time, however, it was impossible to log into my account by using the «http» rather than the «https» address ; it seems the former is no longer accepted and is automatically changed to the latter. In the case of 2.0.0.7, I was able to resolve the problem by deleting corrupted extension files in my Firefox «Profiles» folder, so I tried deleted them again, but this didn't help. I then uninstalled and reinstalled 2.0.0.8, but even this drastic measure, which removed all my other my add-ons (which in contrast to my previous experience with 2.0.0.7, were working perfectly) was of no avail. I can only wonder just what it is that is going on, and what it is about the update to 2.0.0.8 in Windows XP that makes it impossible for me to log in to Gmail there. All other websites I've investigated are unaffected by the change, nor have I any difficulty logging in to Gmail in XP when using Opera or IE7. I have no difficulty logging in to my Gmail account with Firefox 2.0.0.8 on my 64-bit Gutsy set-up, but there I do have a problem with my del.icio.us bookmarks, which disappear from the left-hand sidebar whenever I click on a link or a new tab. They reappear when I type «Ctrl+b», but disappear immediately with a new click. If I inactivate this add-on, the Firefox bookmarks sidebar, which then appears, doesn't perform this strange disappearing act. The odd thing is that I don't see this problem with del.icio.us bookmarks in Swiftweasel. I have no idea as to what is going on....

Henri

Posted by: mhenriday | October 27, 2007 1:25 PM | Report abuse

FireBox is a danger to everyone on the internet!

Posted by: steve ballmer | October 28, 2007 1:05 AM | Report abuse

One would think the fact that the Post's staff deleted your previous postings as "steve ballmer" would have sent you a clear enough message. Yet you persist in misrepresenting yourself. It was funny the first time. Now it's merely dishonest.

Posted by: aeschylus | October 29, 2007 12:23 PM | Report abuse

I found Firefox wouldn't start after the automatic download. Not at all. I found it was a problem with Zone Alarm, which was configured to allow Firefox access to the internet. I finally had to remove Zone Alarm completely to get Firefox to run. I wonder how many Zone Alarm users found themselves tied up in this knot?

Posted by: Dan | October 30, 2007 10:20 AM | Report abuse

I actually hate Firefox on XP at this point. It freezes and crashes frequently, and the 2.0.0.8 update keeps trying to run and failing. I may try to manually install the new version, but based on Mozilla's statement, maybe just wait for 2.0.0.9

Posted by: roto | October 31, 2007 11:12 PM | Report abuse

2.0.0.9 update is out:

How many updates is that now in the past few months? Good that they are responsive in updating, but bad in so many in such a short time frame.

This is one of the reasons Firefox will not be widely adopted on the corporate level where every update has to be vetted before being deployed. Not to mention many corporate intranets heavily use ActiveX.

Not to defend Microsoft, but that is one big reason they take longer to deploy updates due to regression testing so as not to mess up functionality. Catch-22 as it goes either way.

Posted by: TJ | November 2, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Firefox won't navigate after update 2.0.0.9 cause of zone alarm...

Posted by: Francesco | November 3, 2007 5:34 PM | Report abuse

TJ, the frequent updates are, from my perspective, a very very good thing. The more frequent the updates, the better. If there is a patch available to fix a security hole, I want it ASAP. That's why I use a Linux distro with frequently patches repositories, though. When one application gets patched, I don't have to know about it and go find it. All applications are patched by the regular OS update tool.

Posted by: Maco | December 1, 2007 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Still i see lot of errors, sometimes the cache and other saved passwords options does not work, sometime firefox hangs, i hope in future this will be rectified other than that firefox is a wonderful browser compared to IE 6 because i have'nt tried IE 7

wish you all happy christmas

Posted by: ebookmania | December 18, 2007 3:29 AM | Report abuse