ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware Free for Today

Check Point Software Technologies, the company that makes the popular ZoneAlarm suite of security products, is giving away its ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware product today. The software includes the firewall and free anti-spyware updates for a year.

Check Point says the offer is good until 8 p.m. ET today. The promotion began Tuesday in what was supposed to be a 24-hour offer, but the company says it's extending the offer through today to "due to overwhelmed servers."

It looks like this software only works on Windows 2000 and Windows XP, and not Windows Vista. If that's not the case, I will update this post.

If you're interested, check the offer out here.

By Brian Krebs  |  November 14, 2007; 10:09 AM ET
Categories:  Safety Tips
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Storm Worm Victims Get Stock Spam Pop-Up
Next: Apple Plugs 44 Security Holes

Comments

So Brian, what's the catch and is it worth taking advantage of this, just to have to remove it next year if you don't pay?

Posted by: M in CT | November 14, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Yes, do you recommend this if you already have Spybot, Ad-Aware, a firewall, and antivirus?

Posted by: A | November 14, 2007 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I tried to install it on two fully patched XP computers, but I repeatedly get the following error message: "The ordinal 55 could not be located in the dynamic link library VSDATA.dll." Anybody else has the same problem?

Posted by: LB | November 14, 2007 4:55 PM | Report abuse

This doesn't appear to be working. After I followed the directions to get the software, I was told to check for an email with a link to download the software. Its been 2 hours and I still haven't gotten the email. I did get an email with my password for my new zonealarm account, so I know zonealarm isn't blacklisted by my spam filters or anything like that. I don't know whats up, but I can't download anything without the email, and I don't have the email.

Posted by: Patrick Huss | November 14, 2007 5:32 PM | Report abuse

PC Tools' Spyware Doctor is a much better product!

Posted by: Mark | November 14, 2007 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Don't do this. I installed, followed the directions, and my PC immediately slowed to a crawl.

Posted by: Steve | November 14, 2007 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Gee, it seems I missed the free offer.

SCAM, SCAM, SCAM

Posted by: BRUCEREALTOR@GMAIL.COM | November 15, 2007 3:45 AM | Report abuse

I guess its OK, since I have Spyware Doctor

AND

AdAware PLUS --- but, there seem to be 'issues' with the Plus & Pro versions.

Now AdAware SE was easy to use and caught lots of stuff with a real fast scan.

HOW ABOUT A RETURN TO THE SE VERSION ???

Posted by: BRUCEREALTOR@GMAIL.COM | November 15, 2007 3:48 AM | Report abuse

If you missed it, you didn't miss anything special. No quick right-click scan of downloaded file, no 'Run once at start-up' setting, and worst of all, it removed all of my homepage (MyWay) cookies automatically, without permission. Now, since it took over the ZA Free firewall User Interface, I hope I can uninstall w/o losing all previous settings.

BTW, whoever thinks Spyware Doctor is so 'wunnerful' must think the BSOD makes a nice looking screen-saver!

Posted by: Keith Warner | November 15, 2007 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I have installed with no trouble at all, I was a bit wary because of the Avast anti virus incompatibility warning as I am running Avast pro edition - I even initially uninstalled the Net shield but later re installed it because either way Zone alarm can't see it (no anti virus installed) but who cares, I know it's there and up and running...XP home edition.

Posted by: Steve | November 15, 2007 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Glenn | November 16, 2007 9:03 AM | Report abuse

The breadth of negative comments suggest more investigation is required.

Posted by: Roman | November 16, 2007 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Just a quick update: I received the download email about 20 hours after signing up. Everything installed fine.
XP media center

Posted by: Patrick Huss | November 16, 2007 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Not that I need it since I have other products that do well but the offer was over on Wednesday at 5PM PST.
Maybe someone needs find a new editor.

Posted by: Fred Dunn | November 16, 2007 3:30 PM | Report abuse

I will volunteer to edit here (since I'm a retired editor). IMHO, 5 p.m. PST is the *same* time as 8 p.m. ET, so it's the poster, not BK, who is in need of "a new editor."

Posted by: Charlie | November 17, 2007 11:21 AM | Report abuse

For Glenn: "I got only a 15 day free trial, not one year. I use regular free version of ZA anyway, but thought I'd try the antispyware for a year. Guess when it's up in two weeks, I'll just reload the free ZA."

Read their email & install the License Key to get the full year for free. It works.

Posted by: Joe | November 17, 2007 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I hope you were fired not retired as an editor. At least I hope so because I posted my comments on Friday the 17th that the offer had expired at 5:00pm PST Wednesday the 15th.
So as an editor you may know your time zones, you just don't know what day of the week or the month it is.

SORRY CHARLIE!

Posted by: Sorry Charlie - (retired editor) | November 20, 2007 11:36 AM | Report abuse

its a shame ppl just refuse to read..I have the full version of ZA and its a great product..

Posted by: Df | November 22, 2007 11:52 PM | Report abuse

zoneAlarm anti-spyware free?..hahaha.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 25, 2007 9:45 PM | Report abuse

ohh and ZoneAlarm firewall is kinda getting fat :(. im a minimalist.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 25, 2007 9:47 PM | Report abuse