Stepped Up Cyber Role for Spy Agencies

Read Brian Krebs's latest story on washingtonpost.com: "White House Plans Proactive Cyber-Security Role for Spy Agencies."

America's spy agencies for the first time would be tasked with gathering intelligence on threats to the nation's computer networks under a policy set to be detailed by the White House next week, a senior administration official said Wednesday.

Speaking at a security conference in Washington, the official said the Bush administration wants to harness the intelligence community's offensive capabilities in defense of government and civilian computer systems. Continue reading...

By washingtonpost.com Editors  |  May 2, 2008; 12:46 PM ET
Categories:  U.S. Government
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cyber Justice Chronicles
Next: Tech Groups Back Kaspersky in Fight Against Zango

Comments

What has taken so long to realize that a 'failure to be able to communicate, transact business and issue and transmit orders is a national security matter?

Posted by: brucerealtor@gmail.com | May 2, 2008 11:48 PM | Report abuse

WTF? Under Bush, the "nation's intelligence agencies" ARE the threat!!!

Posted by: nofluer | May 3, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

@ nofluer:
Puh-leeze! I knew it wouldn't be long for a comment or two in this blogspace about this posting for the paranoid amongst us to begin whining about the potential invasion of our personal privacy. These hackers invasde my personal privacy many times a day. I'm happy to give some of it up to put these baddies to bed. Give it a rest.

Posted by: Pete from Arlington | May 3, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

an important move, and hope we take cyber threats seriously.

would prefer an entire agency devoted to cyber threats, if not a cabinet position.

Posted by: egalitaire | May 3, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

an important move, and hope we take cyber threats seriously.

Posted by: egalitaire | May 3, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

I'd be happy if they simply shut down spam, for starters.

Posted by: Ransome | May 5, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

@Ransome
if it were only so simple :(

On a happy note, until this year (unfortunately) I could count the amount of spam emails I've received on just my fingers.

Posted by: Stern | May 6, 2008 5:41 AM | Report abuse

Forgot who first mentioned it
may have Jon Stewart or Steven Colbert or
George Carlin....about how they e-mail themselves
the Bill Of Rights...in the hopes that the NSA
and the rest of the Geo. W. B. gang actually
may get to read it for a change !

Posted by: me(at)here.com | May 24, 2008 6:35 PM | Report abuse