iPhone Update Plugs Eight Security Holes

Apple on Friday issued an update for the iPhone that includes a bundle of at least eight security fixes.

The update is only available through iTunes, and will not appear in your computer's Software Update application, or in the Apple Downloads site.

Details about the security holes plugged by this release, version 2.1, are available here.

By Brian Krebs  |  September 13, 2008; 7:00 AM ET
Categories:  New Patches , Safety Tips
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Virginia Anti-Spam Law Overturned, Spammer Walks
Next: Apple Pushes New Patches

Comments

it seems that the 2.1 upgrade "fixes" the security leaks by rendering the iPhone non-funtional!

Posted by: Bill from Illinois | September 13, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

after install of 2.1 it wants to backup iphone. seems to take longer to backup with 2.1 than it did with 2.0 and that seemed to be an all nighter

Posted by: Dave Texas | September 13, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

nice update....backup is much faster now...

Posted by: Ram | September 14, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Downloaded and installed without a hitch as soon as available last Friday. I'm seeing a dramatic improvement in in Battery charge life, even when using 3G. Faster responsiveness with Edge, 3G surfing, contacts, etc.

Have not encounter any issues what-so-ever

Posted by: Woody | September 15, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I too encountered no "hitches" with the download.

I've also found that the battery recharge is /significantly/ faster. Last nite, my IPhone was 2/3 discharged; it recharged fully in less than one hour...

Excellent upgrade!

Posted by: Jim | September 15, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

like hell they plugged security problems. i don't have an iphone, i never have had one, i don't have an i-pod and don't want one, i have never visited any i-tunes site and i found over $700.00 in fraudulent i-tunes charges on my bank statement last evening.

needless to say these have been reported, the card cancelled and the money returned, but i-tunes is NO HELP and refuses to admit that they have a problem. i wouldn't use any apple product now if it were absolutely 100% secure and FREE.

Posted by: labby | September 17, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I have never had a problem and my iPhone has great service.

Posted by: ken g | September 17, 2008 7:44 PM | Report abuse

For Labby

Do you have a computer?
If you do,I bet you are still using the Millanium version of PC.

Posted by: iaintgoingthere | September 18, 2008 12:17 AM | Report abuse