Firefox 2 Users Will Get No More Security Updates

Security Fix has often praised Mozilla for equipping its Firefox Web browser with a no-hassle system for automatically applying security updates. But for those users still browsing the Interwebs with anything less than Firefox 3, it's time to take note: Mozilla shipped its final update to Firefox 2 on Tuesday, and plans no further updates for this version.

Put simply: If you want to keep using Firefox safely, you're going to need to upgrade to Firefox 3. The latest version of the popular browser received mixed reviews on its release, but Mozilla appears to have done a good job ironing out the kinks since then. Most notably, Firefox 3 consumes far less system memory than older releases.

That said, there is a non-trivial chance that Mozilla may in fact ship another update to Firefox 2. A bug report filed Wednesday with Mozilla indicates the browser maker overlooked a security flaw in its latest update.

Are you running Firefox 2, or (gasp!) some Firefox 1.x version of the browser? Not sure? Click "Help" and "About Mozilla Firefox" to find out. Firefox 3 is available here.

Update, Dec. 22, 10:42 a.m.:
My hunch was correct: Mozilla did release another update to Firefox 2.0 (2.0.0.20), to correct this oversight. See their release notes here.

By Brian Krebs  |  December 17, 2008; 9:15 PM ET
Categories:  New Patches
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Microsoft Issues Emergency Patch to Curb Password-Stealing Hackers
Next: Hundreds of Stolen Data Dumps Found

Comments

I have been reluctant to upgrade to Firefox 3 on all of my machines as I find that it crashes on a daily basis. Nobody seems to care very much, as the problem persists to this day.

I finally had to take the bull by the horns and figure out what was going on - the thing leaks so much memory that it exhausts the address space, and the leak seems to be tied to having tabs open to various MSDN pages. Now that I know this, I can block on specific script from that site which seems to be an effective workaround.

Posted by: ericy | December 18, 2008 8:11 AM | Report abuse

I downloaded Firefox 3 yesterday when I started the install program there was a message the file was corrupted. Not sure where to go from here.

Posted by: sparky491 | December 18, 2008 8:45 AM | Report abuse

I updated to FF3 when it first came out and so many plugins I was using did not work that I went back to v2. FInally I went to v3 and have stayed with it, but it fails at least once a day, usually 2 or 3. I'm getting to the point where I'm ready to try Chrome or something else.

Posted by: Tojo1 | December 18, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Firefox did issue 2.0.0.19 for this latest needed fix.
The end of support makes us unhappy.
Firefox 2.0 works much better for us than 3.0 and does not wage war against Internet Explorer the 3.0 does.

Posted by: ray1bay | December 18, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

I've used FF3 since it came out. I open dozens of tabs and have never had a problem with it. Long live FireFox!

Posted by: TNeff-VA | December 18, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I am running FF 3.0.5 and have 4 to 5 tabs open daily and haven't had any issues. FF continues to get better and better !

Posted by: bkasoff | December 18, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

We recently had to downgrade from FF3 to FF2 on a test machine that uses the Selenium RC test server (creates a proxy server that can be used to test web apps) with Maven in Eclipse - though the documentation says that it worked with 3, in fact downgrading to 2 was the answer.

FF is easier to live with in a test machine as it doesn't hook into the system as IE does, but I hope that they keep adding security patches until the products such as Selenium catch up.

Posted by: kiosk | December 18, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

My only problem with FF is that some websites require IE to work. I like the layout, the tabbed browsing (that IE finally implemented). and the secure feeling I get using it.

Posted by: blasher | December 18, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

When I first upgraded to Firefox 3, I had numerous problems. The problems were not Firefox, they were the plug-ins. I disabled or deleted all of my plug-ins and have been adding them back in as I found need for them. I now have fewer plug-ins as I had a bunch of plug-ins that I was not using. It has been 2 months, and all is well so far.

Posted by: cbm1 | December 18, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

With FireFox3 the bookmarks folders and booksmarks in them will not alphabetize. The latest version 3.0.4 still does not alphabetize correctly. My bookmarks facilitate my work and my personal research, so I'm sticking with 2.0.0.19 until (when?) they are able to resolve the bookmarks problem.

Posted by: MMinKansas | December 18, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I've used FF3 since it was released, and although it had some initial problems with crashing and plug-ins, those have mostly been ironed out. I still have some crashes, but they are mostly due to some poorly coded extensions that I use. I still had a FF2 portable on a thumb drive that I fired up the other day, and immediately realized how antiquated it is.

Posted by: PeterFellenz | December 18, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

@MMinKansas
Open up Organize Bookmarks, right click on the folder you want to organize in the left-hand panel, and then select "Sort by name."

Posted by: PeterFellenz | December 18, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

After upgrading to 3.0.5, it marked the first time for me since upgrading to FF3 from FF2 that I could actually use FF to get the latest MS patch.

I realize that I am using Opera 9.63 to write this. With the memory leaks still frequently happening, the FF fix comes too little too late. Now, FF and I are just friends, we no longer see each other - on a frequent basis. Go Opera

Posted by: ummhuh1 | December 18, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

As a MAC user, Firefox 3+ is my browser of choice. Works nearly all the time, but occasionally 'hiccups' - but don't we all. Nice program, and it works. Just do it.

Posted by: CaptainJohn2525 | December 18, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Occasional crashes with Firefox 3+ but if you also use Secunia Personal Software Inspector FREE] you will be automatically alerted to all updates.

Posted by: brucerealtor@gmail.com | December 18, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

I go to Latest Headlines for the BBC news. I choose OPEN All In Tabs, 30 or so tabs usually,
Firefox will crash 2 or 3 times a day when I do this in WINDOWS . Firefox crashes less than once a month when I open this many tabs running linux. Puppy , Ubuntu , RedHat, etc.

Posted by: vze4k4bh | December 19, 2008 1:58 AM | Report abuse

FF3 on my work PC crashes at least once a day. FF3 on my home Mac never crashes.

Posted by: daveb3 | December 19, 2008 8:33 AM | Report abuse

We've been using Firefox 3 for a week or so. It seems to crash less often while we're using it if we close it out when we step away from the computer.

Posted by: Heron | December 20, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I just upgraded to 3.0 today. Now pages take much longer to load, and earlier versions of Java (needed for several ecommerce sites that I use) do not work. Now I have to use IE for those applications.

Posted by: marlahrd | December 21, 2008 6:44 PM | Report abuse

I, too, have had little success in having the FF3 bookmark database show the same info which the FF2 HTML file shows readily: date created, last visited; and manual sorting or manipulating is much more difficult. Could be a dealbreaker..

Posted by: Mark_CharmCity | December 22, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

My! My!
Haven't we come to a wonderful time in Computing?? Now we don't get to choose what we want, WE ARE TOLD what we will take and if we don't like it, we'll you know the rest.You'd think they were Microsoft.
I must say, I don't mind being asked, however I deeply resent being TOLD what I WILL USE and WHAT I WON"T USE.
So if you people are prepared to ordered around like sheep, good for you. As for me, "I" Will decide what to use and when.
Thank You.
Aaron

Posted by: AaronABaker | December 23, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I don't like being told that I have to accept an update and told it wil be installed the next time I start up firefox with NO Way to refuse this. The messge is followed by an "O.K." box that must be checked before you can get out of firefox.
Not happy with the crashing of 2 that occurs at least once each time
I use it. How can I stop the upgrade?

Posted by: edna13 | December 25, 2008 12:00 AM | Report abuse