Update for Norton Internet Security & Firefox 3.5

A few readers have asked me why their installation of Norton Internet Security 2009 won't play nice with their copy of Firefox 3.5. Symantec now has an update to fix this compatibility issue.

nortontool.jpg

The problem was with the Norton Toolbar, a component of NIS2009 that Symantec markets as a way to encrypt and securely store your passwords and logins, and other sensitive data. I know many people who use this feature, so if you're one of them, follow the instructions here to get this feature to work with Firefox 3.5.

If you use NIS2009 but don't store your personal data with the toolbar, there is no need to install this update. NIS has earned a bad rap over the years for being a slow, resource-hogging beast of an anti-virus program, but when I trialed the program for a few months, I found NIS2009 to be very fast and unobtrusive. Still, if you're like me, and hated that toolbar, check out Mozilla's instructions for removing it here.

By Brian Krebs  |  July 21, 2009; 1:41 PM ET
Categories:  New Patches , Safety Tips  | Tags: firefox 3.5, norton, symantec
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Growing Threat to Business Banking Online
Next: Microsoft Scrambling to Close Stubborn Security Hole

Comments

Interesting I heard Norton was going to slim down there pig'ish software. Very interesting. Hey by the way maybe you can discuss password managers sometime. I'm looking for one that uses a token system.

Posted by: dward__ | July 21, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

trialed? ouch.

Posted by: KSVA | July 22, 2009 1:46 AM | Report abuse

Norton may seem "very fast and unobtrusive" when you first install it. Especially if you have a reasonably fast computer. Unfortunately Norton's seems designed to have an exponential growth in the way it hogs your computer's resorces. A year later after all of the NIS updates your computer will run in slow motion. I used Norton for years because their protection is good. But there are other products that do the job without hogging 90% of your computer's resources. I will never put Norton on another computer.

Posted by: walt17 | July 22, 2009 7:22 AM | Report abuse

I agree with walt17. Norton is itself a virus. Never again - especially with all the good free software out there.

Posted by: therev1 | July 22, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

I agree with the anti-Norton contingent.

I also used Norton for a few years, until it came to the point where it hogged my memory, and I was seemingly constantly having to update and attend to some Norton message.

Even after deleting it everywhere -- and I had to manually delete it from many areas -- there are still Norton named folders that will not go away.

I will never use a Norton product again.

Posted by: billcarr542 | July 22, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

As a longtime Norton user I am disappointed to say I have the same problem with NIS2009 hogging resources. Also disappointed there is no way to easily tell it to stop what is doing. Shifting to Mac to get away from the virus protection hassles.

Posted by: Informme2 | July 22, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Due to a failing computer, I had to uninstall and reinstall Norton a few times. I finally gave up and bought a new computer, but I had exceeded the allowed number of installs so my Norton software wouldn't load. I wrote (snail mail!) them as instructed and explained the situation -- I received a form letter refusal to authorize my software and no avenues for appeal. Never again do I buy a Norton product.

Posted by: morth | July 22, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

On my Vista computer, the NIS Toolbar was causing Windows Explorer to crash when I right-clicked on a file name. The problem went away when I disabled the Toolbar.

Posted by: ZenMan1 | July 22, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Use Linux. You will be free from worries about NIS stuff. It's fast, stable & free.

Posted by: superdumb | July 22, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Norton is and always has been a resource hog. I have no problems with the free AVG. I've had it two years and a friend has had it for 8 years. As soon as I removed Norton and installed AVG my PC was quicker in every way. I've gone thru similar scenarios with friends who were having slowness issues. As soon as Norton is gone, it's solved.

Posted by: tojo45 | July 22, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I disagree with the anti-norton crowd. I have a business setting up and maintaining small business systems - so I see a lot of different security products.

I used to recommend my clients use AVG - after problems with Norton and McAfee a few years ago. But the 2009 Norton products have been great - they completely changed my mind. They definitely are the ones I suggest.

Posted by: danx1000 | July 22, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

It's too bad that whoever has taken over the Norton product has not upheld the personal reputation for industry leadership as the product's namesake, Peter Norton.

Posted by: peterpallesen | July 22, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for this posting, Brian ! One more thing to keep in mind when helping folks who still are using Norton products - generally speaking becaus they've just purchased a new computer and the free trial period (sometimes as brief as one month !) is still active....

Henri

Posted by: mhenriday | July 22, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

The Norton Removal Tool may help remove stubborn vestiges of NIS on some computers. I used it a few years ago after Norton got its hooks into my Vista installation, but have lost track of where to get it on the web. I will never get near Norton again, and will immediately remove its crapware from any future new computer I purchase. Perhaps Brian would have current information on the removal tool.

Posted by: AnnArborGuy | July 22, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Norton may seem "very fast and unobtrusive" when you first install it. "Especially if you have a reasonably fast computer. Unfortunately Norton's seems designed to have an exponential growth in the way it hogs your computer's resorces. A year later after all of the NIS updates your computer will run in slow motion. I used Norton for years because their protection is good. But there are other products that do the job without hogging 90% of your computer's resources. I will never put Norton on another computer."

I totally agree with Walt! Why install so many updates to integrate your common browser when you can use one security software fully integrated with Mozilla and all the other browsers around? I'm using now BitDefender and this suits me very well because does everything effortless! BitDefender runs great with my PC resources and I can even play games or watch movies or being on my laptop and steel be protected by it!

Posted by: OnSeeker | July 28, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse