Updates Plug iPhone, QuickTime Security Holes

Apple has shipped a security update to fix multiple vulnerabilities in the iPhone and iPod Touch. The company also pushed out a patch to plug security holes in Windows and Mac versions of its QuickTime media player.

The iPhone update -- version 3.1 -- includes at least 10 security fixes, and several minor new features, such as the ability to better organize apps in iTunes and to download ring tones wirelessly. Apple also issued an update for its iPod Touch (v. 3.1.1) that includes a short list of new features.

The QuickTime update brings that software to version 7.6.4 and fixes at least four separate security problems. Apple users can grab the update via Software Update, while Windows users will need to use the bundled Apple Software Updates application. The iPhone and iPod Touch updates are only available through iTunes.

By Brian Krebs  |  September 10, 2009; 12:30 PM ET
Categories:  New Patches , Safety Tips  | Tags: apple, iphone, itouch, quicktime
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cyber Thieves Steal $447,000 From Wrecking Firm
Next: Clamping Down on the 'Clampi' Trojan

Comments

If anyone needs to get the updated version of QuickTime directly (without using Apple's Software Update), the installer can be downloaded here:
(Note: you may have to de-select iTunes for Windows if you just want QuickTime.)

Posted by: richg74 | September 10, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I hate updating quicktime and itunes. It takes forever. I wish I could uninstall them and still use my ipod.

Posted by: Booyah5000 | September 11, 2009 1:57 AM | Report abuse

I wish Apple and other companies (Like Sun) would stop bundling unnecessary software, almost forcefully, on users wishing to use one of a selection of applications they offer. On Microsoft Windows if I want to use iTunes to synchronize my iPod library I am harassed by Apple every time there is an update to install Safari. I don't want Safari! I want iTunes.

As a security advisor, this concerns me as many users do not untick the box for Safari, or in the case of Sun, Google Toolbar. This increases the attack surface for the bad guys to use when assaulting our computers and contributes to a greater problem rather than solution. I encourage everyone to update their software, but consider carefully whether you need more software than you require.

Chester Wisniewski
Sophos Inc.

Posted by: ChesterWisniewski | September 11, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Booyah5000 that updating QuickTime and iTunes is a pain. Although it doesn't take all that long for me, the update process for Windows insists on creating a new set of Start Menu shortcuts and disabling the old ones. So if you want to have your QuickTime/iTunes shortcuts somewhere else than where Apple puts them -- say, in a single folder rather than two -- you have to cut and paste the shortcuts every time you perform an update. Same thing for any shortcuts you create on the QuickLaunch toolbar. Nobody else (e.g., Winamp) creates this much hassle.

Posted by: 54Stratocaster | September 12, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Great, new QuickTime not compatible with SeaMonkey, and some folks having problems with videos on Firefox.

Posted by: Hemisphire | September 13, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse