Security Fix author named 'cybercrime hero'

Networking equipment maker Cisco Systems Inc this week bestowed a generous honor on the Security Fix author. In its 2009 annual security report released Tuesday, Cisco names Yours Truly as a "cybercrime hero," citing an ongoing investigative series detailing the plight of small businesses that have lost hundreds of thousands of dollars at the hands of malicious software.

ciscocca.JPG

The mention comes in a section announcing Cisco's first-ever "Cybercrime Showcase," which the company said aims to "shine a spotlight on individuals and entities who have made significant positive contributions during the past year toward helping make the Internet a safer place for all users."

Clearly, I am long overdue to design a decent superhero costume. In all seriousness, I am grateful for the mention, and for the recognition of my work.

Interestingly, the two families of malicious software also mentioned as "winners" of Cisco's 2009 "Cybercrime Showcase" are malware families whose authors recently have seen fit to insult the Security Fix author by name, including: the Koobface worm, which spreads on Facebook and other social media sites; and the prolific password-stealing program known as Zeus.

A link to the full report is available here.

By Brian Krebs  |  December 8, 2009; 8:00 AM ET
Categories:  From the Bunker
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: La. firm sues Capital One after losing thousands in online bank fraud
Next: Critical updates for Adobe Flash, Microsoft Windows

Comments

Congratulations, Brian ! Would that all awards were so well deserved !

Henri

Posted by: mhenriday | December 8, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Congrats, you must be chuffed!

Posted by: JkR- | December 8, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Well, and long, deserved!

Posted by: GWGOLDB | December 8, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Congratulations on the excellent reporting and also for the much needed advice and expertise that you pass on in your column and during the Friday live blogs.

This is particularly noteworthy considering that it takes a fair amount of courage to do it knowing the black hats will target you whenever they can.

Posted by: TwoCentsWrth | December 8, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Congratulations on a well-deserved award. Your work to help people in understanding security issues and staying safe online is sorely needed, and very well done.

Posted by: richg74 | December 8, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

I work in advertising security. You are the first news source I check every day. Well done, and richly deserved.

Posted by: pythonboot1 | December 8, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Congrats Brian. It's something we've known for a long time.

Posted by: VeronaItaly | December 8, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Congratulations Brian. It is from your articles that I really became aware of the extent of the damage caused by these cyber miscreants.

Posted by: TheGeezer | December 8, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Brian,

No surprise to me (smile).

For the record, I have your "Security Fix" in the startup folder of all the computers in our business (160 computers), as well as most of my friends computers, required reading in my opinion.

Keep up the great work, it's the best blog on Washington Post.

Posted by: n3ujj | December 8, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Well done, Mr. Krebs! It is much deserved, and thank you again for your continued great reporting.

SiL / IKS / concerned citizen

Posted by: killspammerz | December 8, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Congrats! So what are you getting? An extra week's vacation? A raise?

Posted by: corones | December 8, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Brian: Let me add my cheers to the others. You are always helpful, informative, and responsive! Best wishes for the holidays!

Posted by: JBV1 | December 8, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations, Brian!

You bring to light issues that most media companies don’t touch, while still making it easy to understand the in-and-outs for anyone who wants to learn.

Keep up the good work!

Posted by: ummhuh1 | December 8, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations, Brian! Well deserved.

Hands down, your blog is the single most valuable information on wapo.com.

Posted by: gbooksdc | December 8, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Vielen dank !

I know a good seamstress in the Metro DC area who does a mean "red cape"

Posted by: jaarbokczel | December 8, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Rock on Brian, keep up the great work.

When am I going to beat your butt at poker again?

Andy Sullivan

Posted by: stickymcbiscuit | December 8, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

When you get fitted for the costume, remember the Edna Mode edict: "No capes!"
Security Fix is one of my WaPo must-reads; Congratulations.

Posted by: Mark_CharmCity | December 8, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Congrats BK. Well deserved.

Posted by: dward__ | December 8, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Brian,

Your article and advice had an immediate impact on my wife business. They stopped all online banking, including the posting of automatic deposits (just two employees). They've gone old school i.e., physcially depositing their checks at the bank.

Posted by: T0MR | December 8, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Huzzah!
For what it worth, I shared your recent columns on email swindles with the staff at my school.

Posted by: edlharris | December 9, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Add one more to the kudos count. You deserve it!

:-)

Posted by: JeffBbiz | December 10, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Congratulations. Well-deserved.

Posted by: Booyah5000 | December 10, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations!!! You are the best!!

Posted by: Dalhia | December 11, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

It's. About. Time. WTG Bk!

Posted by: Rixstep | December 11, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Congrats! At last!

As I previously wrote, Brian, you deserve a Pulitzer for investigative reporting. The Post would be foolish not to nominate you.

Posted by: SoloOwl | December 15, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse