Cool Store: Tuesday Morning

Many readers may remember my recent post about C-mart, a large discount retailer that sells everything from coffee tables to Prada trench coats. Some of you confessed your love for the store and others, like reader PLR, thought I was from "a parallel universe" for actually liking the place. Well, I may have found an alternative for all of you: Tuesday Morning, a smaller, tamer discount retailer.

The company has 15 stores in the Washington area and nearly 800 throughout the country. It sells similar type merchandise to C-mart but on a smaller scale and a little less beat up. The store is no-frills, much like C-mart, but the locations are a tad smaller, making the hunt for merchandise a little easier.

The inventory comes from other retailers looking to unload merchandise that didn't sell in a certain period of time before the next season and the next batch of goods came in. But unlike C-mart, the goods are in a little better shape. The name of the store refers to the day of the week when a new batch of household wares, furniture and clothing is delivered, which happens 10 times a year.

On a Tuesday afternoon visit to the company's Alexandria location, I found some pretty good deals based on price tags showing the original price versus the Tuesday Morning price. What I found is worth a visit:

Housewares: Rugs. Lots of rugs. Big, small and in between. I saw a nice-looking 5 x 8 rug for $99.99 with an original price of $299. Smaller sizes were as low as $29.99. There were framed prints ranging in price from $19.99 to $129.99 and decorative throw pillows for anywhere between $14.99 to $29.99. There were elegant table lamps that were originally priced at $100, selling for $39.99.

Kitchen gear: The store had Cuisinart pots and pans selling for nearly half the original price. An 8-quart pot was going for $49.99, down from the original $100 price tag. There were Calphalon knives going for $19.99, down from around $50. There were tablecloths in a wide range of sizes for as low as $19.99 to $44.99.

Bedding: There were queen sheet sets for as low as $39.99, including brands like Grand Patrician, which is seen on the beds of luxury hotels. I saw a queen set made by Waterford that originally sold for $227 and was on the Tuesday Morning shelf for $89.99. The bedding section also had Laura Ashley queen-size quilts for $49.99, down from $149.99, and a king-size Laura Ashley down blanket for $59.99 that was originally marked $140.

Luggage: The store even had a back corner filled with luggage. I spotted a Calvin Klein piece that was big enough for a long weekend trip selling for $179.99, down from $450. There was a Samsonite garment bag in a hard casing for $99.99, down from an original price of $400.

Furniture: I spotted some nice dining room chairs for under $100 and elegant coffee tables for $130 to $180. The selection at the Alexandria store wasn't huge but the pieces appeared to be in good shape.

If my finds have enticed you, the store offers an e-mail service through their Web site for anyone interested in knowing when the next shipment comes in.

Have you ever been to Tuesday Morning? What have been your finds? What are your favorite cool stores?

By Tania Anderson |  February 21, 2008; 3:00 AM ET Cool Store Alerts
Previous: Last-Minute Gift Ideas for Valentine's Day | Next: Tuesday Tips: Buying International

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Congratulations on finding Tuesday's. I have shopped with them since they opened in DC area about 18 years ago. They have a cadre of devoted mostly female fans for whom Tuesday's is their default position..need a gift,housewares, ,whatever..shop Tuesday's first and pay up to 80 percent or more off of retail price. Lauren Bacall, their spokesperson, isn't kidding. If it's not there..then you can go to Garfinkle's, er Woodie's, er, Hecht's, er Macy's. You get my drift. They have persisted over time as others fallen because if you are intrepid and have the time to comb them at least weekly as new shipments come in, and if you receive and devour their pre-sale flyers, the best of the best of premium lines discount there (albeit in small lots and you don't know ,except for sales announced in flyers ,just what will be there when.) It's like a perpetual rummage with very high (and some lower) class inventory. Over the years I have purchased Waterford, Gucci, Anne Klein, Swarovski, Zapf,Calvin Klein,Ralph Lauren, Izod, Oleg Cassini, Fitz and Floyd and the list goes on and on... I recently bought a $3k Couristan rug for $799. But the trick is to go to their periodic openings (always on a Tuesday, that's where I was when the planes hit the Towers)which happen about every six weeks and whose contents will be previewed in a color tabloid mailed to you in advance if you join their mailing list while in store. The faithful line up for these in the wee hours of the morning as they begin at 8 AM and quantities of the premier, featured items from the flyers are always limited ,but, if you get there early enough for the item of your dreams, savings can indeed be fantastic. There is an art to being a Tuesday's shopper but I have furnished two houses and two apartments (my college grad kids) from them and, as all the ladies in their fan club can tell you, it is more than worth the effort. PS. I do not now nor have I ever worked for Tuesday's...though they often asked me to since I spent all my time there anyway before I went back into the work world.Have fun and enjoy.

Posted by: CBates | February 21, 2008 10:47 AM

A word of warning: I bought what appeared to be a beautiful king size comforter with matching shams, packed in a transparent zippered bag, at Tuesday Morning. The price was amazing and I snatched it up without taking it out of the bag. Remember the saying that if something seems too good to be true, it probably is? It was. I was heartbroken to discover that the material in the center of the comforter had been badly sewn together resulting in a big bunched up area right on top of the bed. I returned it without any problem, but the experience of unknowingly buying imperfect, unusable merchandise there has made me shy away from going back.

Posted by: Linda Anderson | February 21, 2008 12:24 PM

I went to the Woodbridge location once, and was disappointed. It was junky and I didn't think there'd be anything of value. Now I know to go back on a Tuesday!

Posted by: roya | February 21, 2008 4:26 PM

Good post. Another thought for birthdays, or maybe even weddings or just about anything, this website - www.ptgiftco.com - has alot of different gift possiblities, and a military gift category, with things that can be personalized with names/ranks/personal messages. I got a USAF garden stake for a friend (leaving for Iraq next month) and they absolutely loved it. Enjoy!

Posted by: Kristin | February 25, 2008 12:30 PM

I love Tuesday Morning, especially for decorative household items - silk plants, planters, accents, and crystal gifts. I go in when I have time to browse and see what's there. No specific find comes to mind, but I always find something I can't live without that I never knew existed!

Posted by: Sheila | February 25, 2008 12:33 PM

Tuesday morning is very expenise compared to Ross or Marshalls. To me the price you pay in Tuesay Morning is no different than the prices @ Macys. Tuesday morning in this economy and times isn't for people who are living on a budget. I will take Ross any day of the week over Tuesday morning. I may have to take my time and look for the bargains but at least my wallet will still have something in it when I'm done shopping!

Posted by: Carita | February 26, 2008 9:06 AM

Tuesday Morning is a JOKE. Their stuff is WAY overpriced (I purchased a Calphalon 12" skillet from Amazon.com for $49.99 that I saw just a week after it was delivered for sale @ Tuesday Morning for $99.99).. and their stores are a mess.

Posted by: Are You Kidding? | February 26, 2008 1:36 PM

Take two...

I've been to a Tuesday Morning store near Towson... the linens are ridiculously overpriced (I found better deal's at a Kohl's that was having a sale the same day), the store was a jumbled mess, and a 12" Calphalon skillet that I'd purchased a week before for $49.99 was priced at $99.99 down from $199.99... try again.

I'd rather shop at Ross.

Posted by: AlternateReality | February 26, 2008 1:45 PM

It's all Mike Marchetti's fault.

Posted by: jack d. | March 4, 2008 2:47 AM

I prefer Home Goods. I have only been to one Tuesday Morning and was not impressed, it was too disorganized.

Posted by: Abuela | March 4, 2008 4:10 PM

Tuesday Morning seems unorganized, messy and over priced. I have never had much luck there. I prefer Home Goods, Ross, Marshalls and TJ Maxx.

Posted by: MD | March 18, 2008 2:01 PM

I have a Tuesday Morning near me in PA in Mechanicsburg. I will never shop there again because the manager there is rude, rude, rude to me and other customers. I complained to upper management. I pity those who work for her. I've seen her be rude time after time. I won't go back.

Posted by: Me | April 30, 2008 4:14 PM