Bush Memoir Due in 2010

You've seen the Oliver Stone movie, "W." But if you want a really sympathetic portrayal of the former president, you'll have to wait until 2010, when Crown (a division of Random House) will publish his memoir. The deal was announced today. The book is tentatively titled "Decision Points" and will focus on a dozen or so key points in Bush's life, according to an Associated Press story. How do I know it will be sympathetic to Bush? Just a hunch.

I have two big hopes for the memoir. First, that it will not be dull -- at least not as dull as "Speaking of Freedom: The Collected Speeches of George H.W. Bush" (that's the first President Bush) which came out not long ago. The second is that it will give the definitive account of Bush's religious conversion.

Former President George W. Bush and wife, Laura, depart Washington for the land of memoirs. (Nick Wass/AP)

I know, a lot of folks will think, who cares about that -- we want to know why he invaded Iraq, or something important. But as I noted in a Post story a few years back, there are two accounts of how Bush came to Jesus, one in which Billy Graham played the central role and the other in which the central role was played by Arthur Blessitt, an evangelist known for dragging a heavy, 12-foot cross around the world. The Blessitt story -- involving a classic "born again" moment -- is well known among Bush's supporters in the evangelical Christian community but is little known to the general public. Most media accounts I've seen just credit Billy Graham, or else suggest that Bush's conversion was tied to his drinking, which is not exactly what Bush himself has said (the former president suggested in various ways on various occasions that his faith helped him to give up alcohol, but NOT that he found his faith because of his drinking). Even the Graham story is fuzzy -- as far as I'm aware, Bush has never publicly divulged what, exactly, Graham said to him in their private talk (in Maine, in 1985) that changed his life. Seems like an important "Decision Point."

What are you hoping to read about in this memoir?

--Alan Cooperman

By Alan Cooperman |  March 18, 2009; 6:23 PM ET Alan Cooperman
Previous: A Priceless Anniversary | Next: Five Books (Make That 24 plus 14 Authors) Who May (or May Not) Win Awards

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Bush can not even speak correctly. Let alone write some thing other than his name.

Posted by: poliltimmy | March 19, 2009 7:15 AM

I am more interesting in seeing this moron of president writing this book from prison cell; prefferably in state where they have death penalty.

Posted by: BOBSTERII | March 19, 2009 10:28 AM

Alternative working title: "If I Did It: Confessions of a Failed Presidency"

Posted by: MStreet1 | March 19, 2009 11:56 AM

It's going to be a VERY thin book!

Posted by: Limey51 | March 19, 2009 12:54 PM

Bush says he wants people to 'understand the environment he was in.' Thats FUNNY! For eight years WE wanted him to understand the environment we were ALL in.

He was the funniest and most tragic President we have ever had and the most unnecessary. His book is equally so.

Posted by: bgreen2224 | March 19, 2009 2:59 PM

Given the economic disarray in the publishing industry that is undermining the publication of many worthy books, I sincerely hope that Crown is not squandering millions on an advance for a book that will not be released until 2010 but which has already outlived whatever usefulness it could have had when its author was at the center of the daily zeitgeist index. Even if I wanted to suffer through his locutions and excuses all over again--which I do not--I would not want to line his pocket with a cent of what little of my income remains unsullied by his decisions.

Posted by: cebeling | March 19, 2009 3:09 PM

I've read practically all the other presidential autobios out there, so I don't see why I wouldn't read this one. I don't think it'll top Grant's though.

Posted by: prokaryote | March 20, 2009 4:20 PM

I'm not sure how I missed the news on this, but this just annoys me.

Because that's $7 million that could go to legitimate authors (fiction or non-fiction) down the drain.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | March 24, 2009 11:32 AM

"What are you hoping to read about in this memoir?"

I'd be interesting in reading about the moment that it dawned on him that he was totally inadequate for demands of the Presidency.

It took most Americans until about the time of Hurricane Katrina - but some of us realized it several years earlier; and by the end of his term, the awareness was near universal.

"Worst. President. Ever."