Wassup With Sen. Enzi's Bling?

Seems it's only when lawmakers are up for reelection that we notice the little things, like the bling-bling being sported by the unassuming junior senator from Wyoming, Mike "Lil Lawmaker" Enzi (R-Wyo.). The bling is on his left pinky, no less.

Sen. Mike Enzi of Wyoming

The junior senator from the Cowboy State sports a diamond ring on his left pinky finger. (Ray Lustig - The Washington Post)

The senator's jewelry was brought to The Sleuth's attention by an observant Democratic operative who noticed that Enzi, who will be seeking a third term in 2008, "has an enormous diamond ring on his left pinky finger." The Democrat asked, "Don't you think that deserves a little exploration?"

Seriously, since when do men from Wyoming wear diamond pinky rings? Hard to imagine Vice President (and fellow Wyoming native) Dick Cheney out on a duck hunt holding his sparkling pinky out, teacup style, as he cocks his gun and prepares to fire. (For the record, Enzi said he has never hunted with the Veep.)

Congressional aides whose bosses serve on the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions have wondered what the deal is with Enzi's ring. "The first time I saw it was over a year ago," said one aide. "It's kind of a mystery."

Enzi, indeed, wears a hefty diamond ring on his little finger, as you can see in the photo above (click here for an enlarged view).

Enzi tells The Sleuth he got the ring in 1988 when his father died. "I have worn it since. I wear it on the little finger of the left hand as that is the only finger it fit on without having it redone, which would not have been the same."

Enzi reminisced that his father, a shoe salesman, was honest yet funny, wise yet humble. "My dad was a tremendous role model, and a very good friend. ... The ring is a reminder that I am to do what is right and to get it right the first time. ... He was a very wise man from very humble beginnings and taught that everyone makes a contribution to the world - and no one's effort is worthy of more credit than anyone else's."

Including, of course, a Democratic operative's effort to make the pinky ring-wearing Enzi out to be what California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger might call a "girlie man."

As they say in Wyoming, real men wear pinky rings.

By Mary Ann Akers  |  February 6, 2007; 10:23 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Buzzing About Edwards's New Compound
Next: Nebraska's Senators ... Pals at Last?

Comments

It must really be a slow news day if the best thing you can write about is a Republican Senator's pinky ring. Good grief. Now if he were a Democrat Robin Givhan would beat the drums to make it the latest fashion statement, Macy's would sell knock-off copies of it, it would be on the Post's annual 'In and Out' list as an 'In.' Find something more substantial to write about, like K-Fed's tattoos.

Posted by: Southern Maryland | February 6, 2007 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I can only echo the comment already made. He is wearing a pinky ring. wow. The "observant democratic operative" is in sad need of a life. Now THAT would be worth exploring...

Posted by: Tk99 | February 6, 2007 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Actually, the BEST thing about the photo to my mind, is that our late Sen. Macaca is on the distinguished gentleman's right. Any reminder that he's no longer there is welcome in my book.

The bling? Who gives a rat's patootie? I've worn jewelry given to me by my grandmother. I served in the infantry 8 years, and am slighly to the left of Mao Zedong.

Get over yourselves, Posties -- while keeping up the GOOD work you do.

Posted by: Jim Watkinson | February 6, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I think it is a very interesting story. This might be the kind of thing that the dems could use to show that he is no longer in touch with his "Wyoming values."

This might turn into something in the next year.

Posted by: George | February 6, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I thought pinky rings were an East Coast phenomenon. Very big among the white ethnics of a certain generation. Is Enzi Italian-American? And what carat weight??

Posted by: Ed | February 6, 2007 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Just for fun, I copied this verbatim out of the previous entry about Edwards' house.

"This is a vile slanderous hit piece, and the Washington Post should be ashamed of itself."

:) Equal time?

Posted by: 23112 | February 6, 2007 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I am from Wyoming and I have never said or heard say "...real men wear pinky rings." That said, they do. Wyoming is more bling'd out than you might expect and I'm talking outside of Jackson Hole too (which, btw, most real Wyomingites do not consider "Wyoming" anymore.)

Difference is, in Wyoming (v East Coast) they'll tell you how cheap they got the bling. We're always looking for a bargain.

So if the tricky Dem operative is looking for a wedge between Mike and his constituents, he's probably barking up the wrong tree.

(Enzi is an Ellis Island truncation of several German surnames I believe.)

Posted by: michaelben | February 6, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Your piece refers to both VP Cheney and Sen. Enzi as Wyoming natives. Actually neither man is from Wyoming. Cheney was born in Lincoln, Nebraska and Enzi was born in Bremerton, WA.

Posted by: Marv | February 6, 2007 6:01 PM | Report abuse

ARE THE UNUNITED STATES IN NORTHERN AMERICA A FACT ?? OR WILL THIS HAPPEN AFTER THE IRAQ HOLOCAUST ??

Posted by: JWH | February 15, 2007 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JWH | February 15, 2007 7:40 PM | Report abuse

WHEN YOU SAY AMERICA YOU SAY LIE, WHEN YOU SAY AMERICANS YOU SAY LIARS. WHEN YOU SAY BUSH YOU SAY INCOMPETENT PIG__SH_IT AND EXTREME CHRISTIAN TERRORISM

Posted by: JWH | February 15, 2007 7:45 PM | Report abuse